PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Dodge Daytona turbo swap.

SRT4m3
09-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Hey guys, new here, and trying to get some info if anyone has any.
I have a 1993 non turbo daytona, the engine is locked up.
I would like to maybe replace it with a turbo engine considering I have to replace the engine anyway...
any ideas or what engine / parts I would need, the complexity of doing this, and if it's worth it?

Also I find it very hard to find any parts for this car, or re manufactured engines and so forth, if anyone has any info, thank you ahead of time :)

it is a K vin.

SRT4m3
09-11-2008, 10:34 AM
are there any other engines I could drop in this car with ease?

Blue Iroc R/T
09-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Hey guys, new here, and trying to get some info if anyone has any.
I have a 1993 non turbo daytona, the engine is locked up.
I would like to maybe replace it with a turbo engine considering I have to replace the engine anyway...
any ideas or what engine / parts I would need, the complexity of doing this, and if it's worth it?

Also I find it very hard to find any parts for this car, or re manufactured engines and so forth, if anyone has any info, thank you ahead of time :)

it is a K vin.

Any 2.2 or 2.5 Turbo Common Block engine will work. Not hard to find. That was the GOOD NEWS. The bad news is; First you will need to find a "92" (ONLY 1992 will work PROPERLY) ECU which is an SBEC-II from a 92 Daytona Iroc 2.5 Turbo (only 250 made) or a 92 Lebaron GTC 2.5 Turbo (Only 230 made) and the mating Engine Harness. You MUST find these FIRST and then you will also need to swap trannys. Your N/A Auto Tranny WILL bolt up, but will NOT HOLD UP to a turbo engine. You would be lucky to get a 1000 miles out of it. You can get a A413 Auto from any Turbo vehicle or you can convert to a 5 Speed, then I would suggest finding a A568 (91+ tranny). We did the conversion on my sons 93 Daytona ES a few years back. Here are some pics of it; www.pbase/rmscott then go to the Black Daytona on the first row and click on that pic. It will open up a gallery of pics.
The conversion is not too difficult AFTER you have the SBEC-II and the Engine Harness.
Good Luck. :thumb:

contraption22
09-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Would it also be possible to use earlier electronics with cutting and splicling?

I have a 1993 Acclaim, and am considering a Turbo swap sometime down the line. I am about to purcahse a harness and smec from an 89 Turbo Acclaim. I figured i could cut and splice the two engine harnesses to make everything happy. Possible?

Blue Iroc R/T
09-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Would it also be possible to use earlier electronics with cutting and splicling?

I have a 1993 Acclaim, and am considering a Turbo swap sometime down the line. I am about to purcahse a harness and smec from an 89 Turbo Acclaim. I figured i could cut and splice the two engine harnesses to make everything happy. Possible?

Mike,
I am pretty sure that grafting in a SMEC into a SBEC vehicle will have considerable problems. Especially into a SBEC-II car. I don't have much personal experience in swapping pins around, but I have a site saved at home that MAY be of some help with this. I'll check tonight and post a link to it.

BadAssPerformance
09-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Splicing is a PITA... Might be easier to find a wreck and take the whole dash wiring and everything out of an earlier car?

btw, Welcome to the forum SRT4m3 ! :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
09-11-2008, 02:20 PM
After the wiring is sorted out, its gravy-

Find a complete turbo engine, 89 and up will work, this makes it a snap to do. I would get a Garrett turbo or upgrade, the stock Mitsu is very limited.

Either rebuilt your current trans to turbo specs or buy a rebuilt but I would rebuild yours.

Find the DP or buy a new one from the vendors followed by a nice exhaust from said vendors.

You can reuse the intank fuel pump or install a Walbro 255.

IC, either don't run one or buy a universal and hook it up.

As for other engines, you can try to find a TIII engine. A 2.4 SRT engine will work but requires fab work for mounts, not for the faint of heart.

Blue Iroc R/T
09-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Here is a site that gives some info on SBEC Pin outs. Not sure how much help it will be: http://hhscott.com/93tmv/SBEC_Conn.htm

TopDollar69
09-12-2008, 05:08 PM
I think it would be easier with the AA body car since the interior electronics are not as dependent on the serial bus line as they are in a 92-93 G or J body.

Wink
09-14-2008, 03:16 AM
Or just put in a 3.0L motor/harness/PCM from any of the thousands of SBEC-II cars still around. Then custom turbocharge it.

But then again, I am quite biased about the motor.

Tony Hanna
09-14-2008, 05:24 AM
You can reuse the intank fuel pump or install a Walbro 255.

I was under the impression that a N/A fuel pump wouldn't cut it on a turbo car? Or are the V6 pumps ok?

jl93sundance
09-14-2008, 08:55 AM
I think it would be easier with the AA body car since the interior electronics are not as dependent on the serial bus line as they are in a 92-93 G or J body.

What about p-body?

jl93sundance
09-14-2008, 08:58 AM
I was under the impression that a N/A fuel pump wouldn't cut it on a turbo car? Or are the V6 pumps ok?

I *think* that the v6 pumps and the stock turbo pumps are the same, but the original poster sounds like he has a 2.5tbi motor, so he will need to switch to a turbo fuel pump.

TopDollar69
09-14-2008, 11:04 AM
The TBI pump is the same after a certain year, 90 or 91 I think. The P body is the same as the AA, the engine computer even has a different part number than the G-J body computer. There was a thread on turbododge I think about the differences.

Tony Hanna
09-14-2008, 01:48 PM
I *think* that the v6 pumps and the stock turbo pumps are the same, but the original poster sounds like he has a 2.5tbi motor, so he will need to switch to a turbo fuel pump.

The TBI pump is the same after a certain year, 90 or 91 I think...

Cool! I learn something new every day around this place.:thumb:

daytonaturbo87
09-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Wiring is your biggest issue. I don't know how it works with the later cars, what with air bags, body computers, etc. The later TD's are just a lot more complicated in that regard.

contraption22
09-14-2008, 09:56 PM
I cant imagin my Acclaim having a body computer. It has no abs, no power anything cept locks!

TopDollar69
09-14-2008, 10:07 PM
I don't believe the AA body cars have a BCM, only the G and J body SBEC cars.

jl93sundance
09-15-2008, 10:05 PM
I don't believe the AA body cars have a BCM, only the G and J body SBEC cars.

my 94 sundance has a bcm too (in the passenger side kick panel)

TopDollar69
09-15-2008, 10:07 PM
I've been wrong before, I wonder what it controls in a P body?

jl93sundance
09-15-2008, 10:10 PM
I've been wrong before, I wonder what it controls in a P body?

i'm guessing the automatic seatbelt?? anybody know for sure?