PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a TD'er near Fairfield, CT

Skibbe
03-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Is there anyone near Maritime Motors of Fairfield, 985 Post Road, Fairfield, CT that would be willing to scope out a Shelby Charger for me?

The car was listed on Ebay, and I was the second highest bidder. The high bidder backed out on the sale, and left negative feedback against Maritime Motors saying that they misrepresented the car. I tried to contact the previous high bidder, but they haven't responded yet. Maritime Motors offered me the car through an Ebay second chance offer. If it is as described and pictured in the auction, I'll snap it up. But the negative feedback from the original high bidder has me worried that there is something terribly wrong with the car. I would be shipping it sight unseen to Chicago, so I would really like to have another opinion about the car.

Any help is appreciated!

Here's the eBay #:

inmyshadow
03-22-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm about an hour away from there. I live in Enfield CT.

I do have the next two days off and could take a look for you.

Skibbe
03-22-2006, 03:03 PM
I hate to eat up 2 hours of your time, but if you're willing to drive out there and take a look I'd appreciate it. I have to decide by tomorrow night, as the second chance offer expires then, so it would have to be tomorrow.

Send me a note at mskibbe@gmail.com if you can go tomorrow and I'll let the dealership know you're coming to look at it. I'll send you a few bucks for gas and a nice dinner too.

Thanks!

inmyshadow
03-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Don't worry about the time. I have nothing to do but work out tomorrow. Plus most of the drive in all highway for me.

I can go in the late morning/early afternoon. I can take some pictures. I'll have a nice cover story about how I seen the car on the ebay and wanted to see if it was something I was interested in.

Later

Skibbe
03-22-2006, 04:21 PM
You can pretend to be me if you want. Just tell them you're considering the second chance offer but wanted to inspect the car first. :thumb:

Thanks a bunch. I'll be interested to know if there's any rust underneath it, bottom of the doors, etc. Stuff like that doesn't show up in Ebay glamour shots.

Marcus86GLHS
03-23-2006, 09:06 AM
JAMES give me a call i'll ride shotgun today with you.

inmyshadow
03-23-2006, 10:14 AM
Mike. looks like you will have two turbododgers checking out the car today.

I figured if I dangled a low mileage lbody in front of marks face, he'd bite on the road trip. He is such a sucker for a nice lbody.

I should have some info for you by around 2pm. I'm going to try and get some pictures for you too.

I'll send you a PM with my home number if it helps you on the car.

later

JAMES give me a call i'll ride shotgun today with you.

inmyshadow
03-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Alright Mike, mission is done. I fired off an email at you with a few pictures.

I'd give you a call, but my phone is tied up right now.

mcsvt
03-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Inquiring minds would like to know the general condition of the car :D

Marcus86GLHS
03-23-2006, 05:10 PM
i went w/ JAMES on the recon.

IMO, car is a solid 7.5 out of 10 as far as overall condition. both james and i had a problems with the condition of the hatch area which was wet, with some sort of rusty-colored, slimy fluid. we saw no rust-thru, and no reason why the hatch should be wet, seals looked great, maybe a broken rear window at some time prior??

we found no rust anywhere else on this car.

interior was good, not great. couple of cig burns.

amp meter needle was twitching. a/c blew very cold.

engine bay was unmolested. it is clear the previous owners were not concerned with making more power just keeping this car running right with mopar repalcement parts apparent (plug wires, hoses, etc).

paint was good, right front fender has for sure been repaired and repainted.

i liked this car. blue/silver and unmodified/unrusted shelby chargers are great cars to grab now.

inmyshadow
03-23-2006, 05:17 PM
I think Mark said it to me the best "if it was an omni, I'd buy it"

Knowing how Mark is with cars, that is high praise for this charger.

I sent a bunch of pictures to Mike showing most of the good and bad along with a well detail email about the shape of this car.

Marcus86GLHS
03-23-2006, 05:40 PM
thanks james.

i did say, "....if this was a glh turbo in the exact same condition at same price i'd buy it immediately....."

james: "....so why not get this car?........"

me: "....cause its hard to get my big fat dog in and out of a 2-door charger, and, he needs a taller roof....."

inmyshadow
03-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Mark I just paraphased you to make things easier.

This is what I heard.

thanks james.

i did say, "...if...glh turbo ....i'd buy it....."

mcsvt
03-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Good to hear. Skibbe, just wondering what the second chance offer was? Looks and sounds like a pretty decent car. If you decide to get it, I hope it works out for you :thumb:

Skibbe
03-24-2006, 09:12 AM
$3550 on the second chance offer. I've got a call into the dealership to see if we can haggle a bit given the recon info James and Mark provided. :thumb:

Skibbe
03-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Got them down to $3000, so huge thanks to James and Mark. Car is mine!

Unfortunantly the family friend that works for Roadrunner just happens to be in Cancun this week... so I may have to find a shipper before he gets back.

Marcus86GLHS
03-26-2006, 01:16 PM
congrats Mike, glad you got this car at that great price, and you are very welcome we were happy to help out a fellow T-Mer.

what are your plans for the car?

t3rse
03-26-2006, 01:35 PM
you guys are awesome, it's great that you ask people to help you out like that and they do so willingly. another heart warming mopar experience.

inmyshadow
03-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Thats cool. Always good when you can get money off.

Now you can apply the savings for transport.

Later

Got them down to $3000, so huge thanks to James and Mark. Car is mine!

Unfortunantly the family friend that works for Roadrunner just happens to be in Cancun this week... so I may have to find a shipper before he gets back.

Skibbe
03-26-2006, 07:41 PM
congrats Mike, glad you got this car at that great price, and you are very welcome we were happy to help out a fellow T-Mer.

what are your plans for the car?

This one is staying stock, as long as the engine and trans hold together. If it's as well cared for mechanically as it appears, then this won't be a problem. I've been lusting after a Blue/silver Shelby Charger since I first saw one 9 years ago. It's taken this long to find one, though I've owned all three flavors of '87 SC's (black, garnet, GLHS) in the mean time. None of them satisfied that urge to get a Blue one.

I was working toward paint and body work on my black '87. That one has the built motor. Now I can concentrate on keeping that one a race car since the body is in poor shape. Paint and body work was going to run 3-4K as it was, so I'm glad I found one in nice shape with original paint instead.

The black one can donate a good set of heater controls and the glovebox cable as it loses the extra weight for racing.

Updates will be here at T-M.com!