PDA

View Full Version : Charging Help, my car is stuck at a restaurant!

1985ShlbyChrger
12-23-2005, 11:48 AM
SO I've been having some issues with my 85 GLH-T. Draining the battery, you guys know how it goes. Brandy new batt-ry and alty-nader. I'm going to put a external voltage regulator on it. The only ones I have around are from AMC's, specifically a 1970 AMC Javelin Mark Donahue Edition with a 360/4 Speed parts car. It's got 4 wires on it, a yellow one to go to the switched ignition source, a black one for grounding, a green one to go to the field coil terminal, and a orange one that gets voltage from somewhere? In the AMC service manual it says that it is an alternator sensing voltage. It comes from a regulator terminal on the alternator, what would that correspond to on a GLH-T alternator? That's what it says in the service manual, but that's the problem, I don't know what this last mystery wire goes to. I think it probably goes to the other field coil terminal, but I'm not sure. I could really use some help here guys, I've been dealing with problems for like 2 months now. This could be the last step in having a running Omni that I can actually drive around .

I need help bad, my car is stuck at a restaurant 10 miles from my house, and I need to just install this regulator temporarily so I can get it home and then I can perma install it. If you guys have any words of wisdom I will greatly apprecaite them. THANKS!!!!!!!!
Nate

Mike M
12-23-2005, 12:25 PM
No answer to your question - but get a Dodge 2 wire regulator if your going to install an external unit. 2 wires and the unit is grounded itself. 1 wire to a key-on source, the other wire goes to one of the field circuits... done.

MVaughn
12-23-2005, 12:42 PM
Nate if you looking for a quick fix throw in a known good batt. and drive it. Even if it isn't charging it will last a bit. Don't use your power ect. while driving home to prolong the batt life. Put a volt meter on the batt. and tell us what it reads at idle. It should be around 13.8-14.2 volts.

slasky
12-23-2005, 01:08 PM
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/charging.html

This should have all of the info you need to fix it.

turbovanmanČ
12-23-2005, 02:13 PM
Just use a 2 wire reg of any older Dodge full size van or car, go 80 B van and you will be good to go.

JeremyL
06-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Just use a 2 wire reg of any older Dodge full size van or car, go 80 B van and you will be good to go.

I'm in the process of doing this, but still can't get it to work right. Alternator is a 120 amp ND unit, regulator is a 2 wire Transpo with the adjustment on the back. One wire on the regulator is key switched, the other goes to a terminal on the alternator. The other terminal on the alternator is grounded. Charges fine at idle, but anything above 1500 RPM or so & it's acting like it's full fielding the thing. I've already ran an extra 8 gauge ground from the alternator case to the battery negative terminal. Anyone have any ideas?

turbovanmanČ
06-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Hmmmmmm, toughie, I would check out the FAQ on turbododge.com, a really nice story was written up about it, I guess I could copy it and post it up here in our FAQ later, :nod: