PDA

View Full Version : Carbed 4 cyl

overlordsshadow
09-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Hey all.

Bit of a conspiracty theory and end of the world nut, and want to have a carbed engine in case something like an emp does happen. What can you guys tell me about the chyco four cyl carbed engines? Just find an old K and take that motor or are there certain years and carbs to look for?

shelbydave
09-10-2008, 11:18 AM
My '83 was carbed, but it had the spark control computer - probably not EMP proof. I would thint that you would have to go back to a points style ignition to guarantee EMP resistance.

-On a side note - You probably have bigger fish to fry than your car running if you experience an EMP of that magnitude...

Edit: I forgot. You would probably want non-feedback carb. The holly 5220 (I think thats the number) was non feedback, and I believe you can still find Weber downdrafts that are a direct fit for the 2.2.

overlordsshadow
09-10-2008, 11:23 AM
This isn't for a car, this is for a dune buggy/utility vehicle. Although I'd probably want to have something that can hun on biodiesel. This is also a for fun project.

shelbydave
09-10-2008, 12:18 PM
What about finding something like a junk rabbit diesel then?

turbovanmanČ
09-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Carb is fine, you just need to come up with a dist and ignition setup.

overlordsshadow
09-10-2008, 02:31 PM
I guess points it is then eh. When I get a motor bike, it is going to have points and a kick start. My dads 76 Harley has both, still works like a charm.

ShadowFromHell
09-10-2008, 10:42 PM
EMP? Im lost.... lol

daytonaturbo87
09-10-2008, 10:49 PM
You wouldn't need points necessarily. EMP's only wipe out chips, so basic circuits still work. So for example the chrysler electronic ignition system out of the 70's would survive. No computer chips inside there.

Oh yeah, years ago I talked to a guy who built up a 83 Shelby Charger with the HO 2.2 carb to run 12's in the 1/4 without nitrous. Car was not streetable at all, but he told me the Direct Connection performance magazine showed him how to scrap the stock 2.2 distributor/computer and hang a 440 distributor off the side of the head. Only used every other spark plug terminal on the dist. Hardest part was modding the side of the head to bolt on the big block distributor. So there's your EMP proof 2.2L.

cordes
09-10-2008, 10:50 PM
EMP? Im lost.... lol

Electromagnetic pulse. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

ETA: I want an old jeep in case of such an event. Although my dad has a couple old Mercedes diesels that would probably be unaffected and run on the veggie oil.

turbovanmanČ
09-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Just stick with a diesel and buy case's of ether, lol!