PDA

View Full Version : Power windows are slow

dodgeman87
09-09-2008, 09:02 PM
My power windows are slow on my '89 Lebaron H body. What do you recommend for cleaning the track with? What is best for lubricating those? Car only has 42,000 miles on it.

Thanks,
JR

shelbydave
09-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Last time I had to do that was on a phord about 15 years ago, but I just cleaned it up nice and used the white grease. If I remember it was lithium based. Ive used the graphite stuff before too. That worked good in the cold.
Got a slow window on my dodge decrepid I need to look at.

black86glhs
09-09-2008, 10:41 PM
I use spray silicone. However it doesn't last long. White lithium should work ok. Make sure you get the straw in the channel and don't over do it or you'll end up with it all over the window and door.

89ShelbyGuy
09-10-2008, 07:06 AM
Yea. clean up the tracks in which the window guides slide on, then coat with WHITE Lithium, then also put it on the plastic belt/tracking and cylce several times to work it in, then put some more on. I did this on my 89 daytona shelby and it took care of the slow movment. Now, i also did this on my other 89 shelby, but insted of the lithium i used wheel bearing grease, DO NOT use that stuff, as my drivers window barly goes up again. Good luck.

shelbydave
09-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Yea. clean up the tracks in which the window guides slide on, then coat with WHITE Lithium, then also put it on the plastic belt/tracking and cylce several times to work it in, then put some more on. I did this on my 89 daytona shelby and it took care of the slow movment. Now, i also did this on my other 89 shelby, but insted of the lithium i used wheel bearing grease, DO NOT use that stuff, as my drivers window barly goes up again. Good luck.

Replace your window motor with a 2 stroke....

Tony Hanna
09-10-2008, 07:53 AM
I use brake cleaner to clean out all the old grease/grime and then (as mentioned) white lithium grease.

89ShelbyGuy
09-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Replace your window motor with a 2 stroke....

Hum..Interesting, just couldnt have a passanger...mount the motor sticking out....would have to vent the exhaust out the bottom...only then would i have to worry about fumes, the noise and the heat...i geuss one plus side is, i wouldnt have to use my cars heater in the winter that much! Ha...

:D;):lol:

Hey tony, did you accually take out everything and then clean it, or was it still in the car when you cleaned it?

looneytuner
09-10-2008, 09:16 AM
I use brake cleaner to clean out all the old grease/grime and then (as mentioned) white lithium grease.

Well since you confessed, I used PB BLaster and NO lube on a couple cars. :yuck: .

shelbydave
09-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Hum..Interesting, just couldnt have a passanger...mount the motor sticking out....would have to vent the exhaust out the bottom...only then would i have to worry about fumes, the noise and the heat...i geuss one plus side is, i wouldnt have to use my cars heater in the winter that much! Ha...

:D;):lol:

Window would go up fast in a rain storm too! :nod:

Tony Hanna
09-10-2008, 09:45 AM
...Hey tony, did you accually take out everything and then clean it, or was it still in the car when you cleaned it?

This was in the '88 Daytona that's in my sig pic.
I got it the best I could in the car. The brake cleaner did a pretty good job of thinning/washing away the old thickened up grease. Might have had to use a shop rag too (it's been awhile). I know between the cleaning and the white lithium grease it sure made a difference. I thought I was going to have to replace the motors initially. Afterward, not so much.:D

Well since you confessed, I used PB BLaster and NO lube on a couple cars. :yuck: .

It's funny you say that. I did the Caddy the same way. I had to change the motor in the driver side door because it stripped out from the resistance of the old grease that had thickened to about the consistency of clay. The PB blaster did a real good job of thinning the grease back out, and it's worked well for the better part of a year. It's just recently started slowing down again. I guess it's time to pull the door panel back off and clean and regrease it properly (I was in a hurry the first time around).

lametec
09-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Taking the whole track out of the door isn't a big deal, so if you have the time I recommend you do that. I've done it to both doors on my Shelby Z, and both windows now work great.

I cleaned off all the old grease in the parts washer then wiped off with brake cleaner. I used compressed air to blow the leftovers out of the nylon track. Then applied white lithium grease from a spray can and reinstalled, using bolts instead of rivets to fasten to door.

GLHNSLHT2
09-10-2008, 12:01 PM
I used bearing grease on one side when the track broke in the rain. Still working great 2 years later.

TurboZJockey
09-14-2008, 10:51 PM
My power windows are slow on my '89 Lebaron H body. What do you recommend for cleaning the track with? What is best for lubricating those? Car only has 42,000 miles on it.

Thanks,
JR

If you really want to do it right. Disassemble & Remove all of the power window tracks and motor assembly. Use Greased Lightning from Wal-Mart/Sam's and Dawn Detergent soap with a toothbrush and clean in a sink. Be sure to remove all of the old grease. Re-Apply using Marine White Lithium Grease (Wal-Mart) liberally and evenly to all parts including the motor gears. If yours are still factory riveted then the rivets will have to be drilled out to remove. Use bolts and washers to re-install in place of the factory rivets.

The motors usually are fine. It is the resistance/friction caused from the old grease and lack of grease that causes power windows to slow down.

You will be very pleased with the results.

89ShelbyGuy
09-22-2008, 08:13 AM
Well, i worked on my other shelby a bit this weekend. I decided to take out the tracking, window, and bar that it slides on. Well, the track was full of that sticky old grease, so i cleaned that off in a sink with some soap, then put the bar on a wire wheel on the bench grinder because it had rust build up and then sanded it nice and smooth with some 220 grit. Then i got inside the door (I didn't remove the track that the plastic track slides on, nor the motor)and took some brake cleaner and cleaned off the old grease. Then put white lit. grease on everthing. put it back together and the window goes up like its brand new! alright!

RoadWarrior222
09-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Electric motor bearings usually really like a touch of moly grease if you have them out, just use something else for the rest.