PDA

View Full Version : Custom TIII cam/crank/int gears and smaller alt pulleys for the UD crank.

turbovanmanČ
09-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Ok, finally got ahold of my machinist who has been busy. He is finally going to build the TIII intermediate gears, 8 valve size-they will also be gun drilled for max weight loss and made out of aluminium, then anodized for wear resistance. To run this, you use the stock belt and remove the idler pulley, then you have to run a shallow head bolt in the ps pump or counter sink and use a matching bolt.

If you have Cindy's adjustable cam gears, he can make the outer part out of aluminum for further weight reduction. I hit a snag with this, forgot about the cam sensor-have to see if aluminium will trigger it-to be updated. Still going to make the ex pulley though, less weight is good. You will need to get a metallic coating sprayed on, TU can get it done.

He will also copy the crank pulley, so another huge weight loss. He can make them fit any size crank snout so he is making me one to fit a 2.5 Tall deck crank so this should also fit an 88 and older crank too, opens up some crank options.

No alt pulley at this time, not needed and no demand.

No pics but prices are as follows plus shipping.

All pulleys are aprox $100 for one, $80 for the next one and $70 for each other one ordered.

Just post up in this thread as to which ones you want and how many.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So people who are confirmed-

Me-2 crank, 2 int and 2 cam outers
iTurbo-1 crank, 1 int and 1 set cam.
Drew404-1 int gear
Powermaxx-1 int gear.
Daver-1 crank, 1 int and 2 cam outers.

Xtrempickup
09-09-2008, 07:39 PM
good job cant wait to see finished products

daver
09-09-2008, 09:57 PM
What timing belt are you planning to run with these?

Unless we find a smaller diameter tensioner, the belt tension with a standard SOHC sized I-shaft sprocket would be too high.

86trbolancer
09-09-2008, 11:13 PM
will the alt. pulley fit all cars??

my stereo strains my alt....

i might be interested if it will fit my 2.2L

turbovanmanČ
09-10-2008, 12:37 AM
What timing belt are you planning to run with these?

Unless we find a smaller diameter tensioner, the belt tension with a standard SOHC sized I-shaft sprocket would be too high.

You remove the idler and run the stock belt. I am running an 8 valve int pulley right now, with no problems.

will the alt. pulley fit all cars??

my stereo strains my alt....

i might be interested if it will fit my 2.2L

It will fit all Nippo alts, I will see if it fits Bosch too. I'll edit the thread.

86trbolancer
09-10-2008, 04:29 AM
i'm subscribed...

keep it posted

thx

powermaxx
09-10-2008, 01:48 PM
I'll take one of those intermediate gears. LMK details to pay, etc...

turbovanmanČ
09-10-2008, 02:49 PM
I take paypal and MO's. I won't take any money until I get a head count.

Powermaxx- one intermediate pulley.

86trbolancer-Maybe alt pulley.

Daver- cam/int/crank pulley's, maybe alt.

daver
09-14-2008, 02:26 PM
From the earlier post on custom T3 gears, someone had posted that timing belt tension with the standard T3 cam & crank sprockets, 8v I-shaft sprocket and eliminated idler was too high and that a slightly smaller diameter tension would be necessary.

I've had my stock T3 tensioner bouncing around in my back seat for a few months along with a list of parts numbers for production tensioners for other vehicles I've been meaning to compare, but haven't yet gotten around to trying to match something up.

Anyway I guess that could still be done after the custom pullies are manufactured.

I would be in for 1 of each sprocket, I-shaft, cam outer rings, crank and perhaps alternator. I have a few overdriven alt pullies for a Neon sitting here I should compare first because they might be the same as the T3.

The I shaft gear's belt surface should also be made a little wider than the 8v piece to properly accomodate the wider T3 timing belt.

turbovanmanČ
09-14-2008, 02:44 PM
From the earlier post on custom T3 gears, someone had posted that timing belt tension with the standard T3 cam & crank sprockets, 8v I-shaft sprocket and eliminated idler was too high and that a slightly smaller diameter tension would be necessary.

I've had my stock T3 tensioner bouncing around in my back seat for a few months along with a list of parts numbers for production tensioners for other vehicles I've been meaning to compare, but haven't yet gotten around to trying to match something up.

Anyway I guess that could still be done after the custom pullies are manufactured.

I would be in for 1 of each sprocket, I-shaft, cam outer rings, crank and perhaps alternator. I have a few overdriven alt pullies for a Neon sitting here I should compare first because they might be the same as the T3.

The I shaft gear's belt surface should also be made a little wider than the 8v piece to properly accomodate the wider T3 timing belt.

I am running the stock TIII belt, no idler, 8 valve thinner int gear and no problems with getting the correct tension or any other issues, :nod:

Yes, of course the new int gear will be the correct width and he's getting the jig to have the correct teeth cut, as it is different than an 8 valve. Round tooth vs trapazoidal or ???, lol.

The Neon should be the same but if you have a Nippo alt, its easy to compare. Are they smaller than stock?

turbovanmanČ
09-22-2008, 01:54 PM
No interest???????

Ok, well I will get a few made up and thats it. Kinda dissapointing, people cry for this stuff then when its offered, don't want it, :confused: :confused2:

powermaxx
09-22-2008, 10:59 PM
No interest???????

Ok, well I will get a few made up and thats it. Kinda dissapointing, people cry for this stuff then when its offered, don't want it, :confused: :confused2:

Just let me know what the final cost will be.

THX :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
09-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Just let me know what the final cost will be.

THX :thumb:

I will, no worries, he is bringing in a special jig to cut them so might as well make use of it. Guess not, :(

daver
09-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Sorry for the delay, been wicked busy trying to get my truck running and save my GLHS.

Anyway I'll try to compare those Neon alternator overdrive pullies to the stock T3 alternator pulley tomorrow am.

daver
09-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Ok, Neon alternator overdrive pulley is definitely totally different. Neon's use a 4 rib belt, T3 motors run a 6 rib belt.

However I also have an alternator overdrive pulley made for a 96-2000 JA body (stratus/breeze/cirrus etc) that is 6 rib.

The JA alt overdrive pulley seems to be ~1.07" wide, pulley is offset, (moved out from the alternator ~.13", and is ~2.23" in diameter measuring from the top the OD of each rib. My caliper is not the greatest, but those measurements should be reasonably close.

If somebody could measure a stock T3 alternator pulley would could figure out the % overdriven the alternator would be given this pulley's diameter.

I'm not using the pulley right now so if you or your machinist would like more specific specs I can send it to you. This was purchased from an individual off the stratusphere.net forum. I believe he charges $50 for them. They are bare aluminum however. I have heard of individuals running them bare aluminum without problems, however I was planning to have mine cryo-hardened and then powdercoated clear.

If possible it we could locate a company that could hard-anodize the custom pulley/sprockets you are having made for the T3.

turbovanmanČ
09-30-2008, 03:10 PM
I have the smaller alt pulley already, its on and working. Sourced from a wrecking yard so thats the one I will copy. I can measure the stock gears to see what the speed is.

The pulleys will be anodized already, :nod:

zin
09-30-2008, 05:34 PM
I was planning to have mine cryo-hardened and then powdercoated clear.

Unless you want a particular color, I'd suggest just having the pulley hard anodized, not bright dipped, but a true mil spec hard coat. Do that and the thing will last almost forever (baring physical damage), but should cost less, if you can piggy back on someone else's order, if you just have the one piece done it might be even or slightly more. Anyway, it's a suggestion.

Mike

turbovanmanČ
09-30-2008, 06:39 PM
What gears did you want, Daver?

daver
09-30-2008, 07:34 PM
I would be interested in the I-shaft gear, aluminum outer rings for FWD's adjustable cam gears, and the alt pulley. Perhaps also the crank depending on cost.

Lotashelbys
10-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Are you gonna get stock TIII sized I-shaft gears? That is the only way it will work with my custom belt routing with the idler on the other side.......

iTurbo
10-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I have an underdrive pulley on my Spirit R/T, along with an amp in the trunk....no charging problems or dimming lights whatsoever.

turbovanmanČ
10-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Are you gonna get stock TIII sized I-shaft gears? That is the only way it will work with my custom belt routing with the idler on the other side.......

I could find out if he will do stockers.

I have an underdrive pulley on my Spirit R/T, along with an amp in the trunk....no charging problems or dimming lights whatsoever.

It was fine during the day, turn on the lights, etc, at night, it would put the guages light on and dim. Put a smaller alt pulley, fixed.

daver
10-01-2008, 02:04 PM
At least on the Neons the alternator overdrive pullies are ~25% overdriven. When coupled with the ~30% underdriven crank pulley, it almost puts the alternator output back up to stock levels, but of course the aluminum overdrive alternator pulley is at least a little lighter.

You could also install a larger alternator (120amp) with the stock alt pulley and underdrive crank and end up back at approximately stock output, however I figure the standard 90amp alternators seem to be easier to locate and the alternator overdrive pulley isn't a ton of $$, so why not pick one up while they're available?

Also Simon: let me know when you have these hard-annodized, if possibly I'd love to have a couple uncoated aluminum pullies I have here done at the same time, and it probably wouldn't cost too much additional to include them in the batch you'll be having done.

turbovanmanČ
10-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Sure, no problem, I'll let you know, :thumb:

Also, a bigger alt probably won't charge differently at idle, unless designed to, its all about the speed. Once at 1200, its charging fine, or was, lol.

turbovanmanČ
11-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Updated post 1 about crank gears and time line.

drewboy404
01-19-2009, 08:31 AM
Just wondering if there are any more intermediate shaft gears left, i need one and dont want to run an 8 valve. "im in"

turbovanmanČ
01-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Still awaiting my order, I'll phone him this week.

powermaxx
02-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Still awaiting my order, I'll phone him this week.

Been a long week, any news?

turbovanmanČ
02-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Sorry, he's hard to get ahold of.

Left another message.

turbovanmanČ
02-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Update and final call, he is busy with work and school, totally understandable.

He has the prototype at the anodizers so I'll get that back next week and test.

He will make 3 more, then thats it. He is cutting the teeth manually, couldn't find a match for the proper cutter.

He is making me some cam gear outers to go with my FWD centers and some crank pulleys.

If anyone wants this stuff, last call.

iTurbo
02-27-2009, 08:18 PM
What all is he making again? Heck I'll probably take one of each..

turbovanmanČ
02-27-2009, 08:33 PM
What all is he making again? Heck I'll probably take one of each..

He's making cam gear outers for the FWD adjustable gears, they will need steel coating or ? to work with the stock cam sensor, alum crank pulleys and 8 valve size intermediate gears.

iTurbo
02-27-2009, 10:54 PM
PM sent.

daver
03-31-2009, 07:06 PM
"He's making cam gear outers for the FWD adjustable gears, they will need steel coating or ? to work with the stock cam sensor, alum crank pulleys and 8 valve size intermediate gears. "

I thought the cam gear outers for the FWD adjustable inners were going to be simple aluminum, for T3 people running distributors or other non-stock ignition setups? Hoping that is still the case.

Also does the machinist have a FWD adjustable gear to take exact measurements off of? It's certainly preferrable that the fit between the inner and outer gear sections be exact.

turbovanmanČ
03-31-2009, 09:22 PM
"He's making cam gear outers for the FWD adjustable gears, they will need steel coating or ? to work with the stock cam sensor, alum crank pulleys and 8 valve size intermediate gears. "

I thought the cam gear outers for the FWD adjustable inners were going to be simple aluminum, for T3 people running distributors or other non-stock ignition setups? Hoping that is still the case.

Also does the machinist have a FWD adjustable gear to take exact measurements off of? It's certainly preferrable that the fit between the inner and outer gear sections be exact.

FWD makes new centers out of billet but reuses the TIII stock steel outer. I have a dist so he is making me new outers out of billet. He has a set of my FWD cam gears so yes, they will be perfect. :D

If you want the outers, its up to you to get them coated or whatever to make them work.

I will be pickuping up the gear tonight, I'll post pics later. :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
04-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Picked it up last night, pretty sweet. Its just a prototype so it will be drilled for weight reduction.

I weighed it as is, 1 lb, 8 oz's, the stock TIII unit is just over 2 lbs, stock 8 valve is 1 lb, 10 oz's.

I'll try to get it installed this week and then check for abnormal wear etc over the next few weeks.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/TIII%20stuff/Sonywork273.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/TIII%20stuff/Sonywork274.jpg

turbovanmanČ
04-02-2009, 03:13 AM
Installed it tonight, seems to have reduced some buzzing, :thumb: It needs some tweaking-it sits too far in so it rubs and the belt overhangs aprox 1/4 of an inch, which will be fixed, of course.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/TIII%20stuff/Sonywork275.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/TIII%20stuff/Sonywork276.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/TIII%20stuff/Sonywork277.jpg

daver
04-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Might just be the pics or because it's the first prototype, but looks like some of the teeth are a little rounded on the top rather than flat.

turbovanmanČ
04-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Might just be the pics or because it's the first prototype, but looks like some of the teeth are a little rounded on the top rather than flat.

Its the pics, he used stock gear to get the pattern and I compared it to a stocker and its exactly the same. He rounded off the edges so they are not sharp. :D

iTurbo
04-20-2009, 02:04 PM
How's it going with the gears Simon?

turbovanmanČ
04-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Still testing it, another week or so then we can look for odd wear etc. I had a quick peak the other day, looks fine, :D

powermaxx
06-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Still testing it, another week or so then we can look for odd wear etc. I had a quick peak the other day, looks fine, :D

Been a long week there....;)

turbovanmanČ
06-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Sorry, the van has been dead more than driving recently so not much to report back and it looks like it spat out my turbo, AGAIN, :mad:

turbovanmanČ
08-31-2009, 01:53 PM
Still testing guys, I'll have an update pretty soon.