PDA

View Full Version : 3" downpipe question

Clay
03-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Chris,

It says on the site that the 3" down pipe will work with a 2.5" swingvalve.

Does that mean with out any modifications the 3" DP will bolt up to a stock 2.5" swingvalve with no problems??

if so SWEET!

thanks,

clay

Force Fed Mopar
03-21-2006, 03:02 PM
I hope to be able to tell you soon, as I have one of his "Rick Diogo" 3" dp's, which is what I assume you are talking about. Just need to get the money and take the time to put it on and go have it hooked up to the rest of the exhaust.

GLHSKEN
03-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Yes, it will bolt right up... done that.

Clay
03-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Sweet. I need a DP but plan to go with a 3" SV at some point. So this will get me going with my 2.5" and not have to spend all the money up front for both pieces!

thanks,
clay

contraption22
03-21-2006, 05:22 PM
Well... yes it will work, and at the same time, no it won't.

Yes... as in, it will fit and seal.
No... as in, the donut will tear itself up in short order so it would be best to have the absolute minimum engine movement possible.

turbovanmanČ
03-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Well... yes it will work, and at the same time, no it won't.

Yes... as in, it will fit and seal.
No... as in, the donut will tear itself up in short order so it would be best to have the absolute minimum engine movement possible.

Yeah, the donuts aren't as strong as the OEM's, the 3 inch ones are graphite and the OEM's are like rock hard stainless ceramic, :thumb:

iTurbo
03-22-2006, 01:46 PM
I recently had to fix the 3" downpipe on my Shelby Lancer. It's using a 3" TU downpipe and TU 3" swingvalve. The exhaust shop that installed it didn't get the angle of the downpipe just right and it wouldn't bolt up to the swingvalve perfectly straight. After about six months, it started leaking especially on cold days. I thought that exhaust leaking past the donut had erroded the donut causing the leak but it was actually the downpipe that broke. The lip on the end of the downpipe that the donut insert piece seats against had broken off. This made it impossible to tighten the spring-bolts and made the donut flange rattle like crazy. The graphite donut looked just fine though. I had the exhaust shop fix the downpipe with a much stronger lip and it hasn't leaked/rattled/buzzed since.