PDA

View Full Version : HP gain from balance shaft removal

glhs875
09-07-2008, 08:49 AM
I'm curious as to around how much HP will be gained in the 4500rpm to 6500rpm area on a 2.2 by removing the balance shafts? I'm considering doing so on my VNT Shadow. I'm looking to add enough HP to run solid 8's in the 1/8th on street tires. So far I've run a best of 9.63 @ 78.11 mph w/2.346 60' spinning ALOT!. I've got alot I can do to get more out of this car because the combo is 100% stock except for a T2 intercooler. I recently put some 225/60/15 tires on. That made a big improvement in traction. I'm also considering an ECM upgrade from FWP along with some alky injection. Anyone have any dealings on a VNT from the mods mentioned vs. stock?

BadAssPerformance
09-07-2008, 09:51 AM
I cannot imagine too much gain from BS removal, maybe 5hp at high rpm?

2.216VTurbo
09-07-2008, 10:02 AM
When I pulled the BS assembly out of my 2.5 SL, I noticed it most for light throttle driveability. The motor just made more power off boost in easy stop and go suff. I'm sure the same power gain was there during boost it just got lost in the sauce when the motor was making 200+

I've got two good buds with modded VNT's, they are HARD to control boost once you start changing componants. One guy gave up and just converted away from the VNT. We still cant get his boost control right on his CSX:o

glhs875
09-07-2008, 01:15 PM
When I pulled the BS assembly out of my 2.5 SL, I noticed it most for light throttle driveability. The motor just made more power off boost in easy stop and go suff. I'm sure the same power gain was there during boost it just got lost in the sauce when the motor was making 200+

I've got two good buds with modded VNT's, they are HARD to control boost once you start changing componants. One guy gave up and just converted away from the VNT. We still cant get his boost control right on his CSX:o

I'm gonna keep it a VNT, that's what I like about this car. If boost gets uncontrollable, I'll add an external wastegate. The boost already starts climbing after 5500rpm and hits around 17psi by 6200rpm and above now. Makes for a good top end charge, along with a couple of other tuning mods I have done to help the HP up in the revs. Pulls hard all the way to the stock rev limit.

glhs875
09-07-2008, 01:18 PM
I cannot imagine too much gain from BS removal, maybe 5hp at high rpm?

I didn't expect it to be much. But if it's 5 to 10hp in the upper revs, that could add up to a tenth reduction in ET and around 1mph improvement. Every little bit helps.

I'm hoping someone has some proving numbers either from a dyno or from results at the track.

BadAssPerformance
09-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Yep, every little bit helps... Since it is a 2.2L, it shouldn't need the BS?

WVRampage
09-07-2008, 07:11 PM
I removed the ones from my 2.5 although I never drove it with them.The engine was balanced at the time it was built and every thing is well.

turbovanmanČ
09-07-2008, 08:13 PM
I don't think anyone has ever done a true back to back but I would say maybe 5 hp and the engine will rev quicker. 2.2 won't buzz like a 2.5 does when you remove them but if its balanced, not needed for sure. Just remember to get a baffled pan or use the shorter oil pan so you don't starve the engine of oil on accel or hard cornering.