PDA

View Full Version : GT35R too big?

turbovanmanČ
09-06-2008, 11:26 PM
I have access to a fairly new GT35R, DBB. I am getting it very cheap, so cheap I can't say how much, :eyebrows:
I have to get a new turbine housing as its a T4 and I need a T3. So I guess if its ok, what size a/r housing should I get???

I also know this will be alot of work as I have to redo my external wastegate setup but I can't pass this deal up if its ok in size.

cordes
09-07-2008, 12:12 AM
Isn't that the same turbo that 8valves was running when he laid down 37xHP on pump?

contraption22
09-07-2008, 02:03 AM
I know my neighbor had a 35R on his evo which made over 400hp on pump and nearly 500 on c16

Ondonti
09-07-2008, 06:21 AM
reflange your manifold you namby pamby.

BadAssPerformance
09-07-2008, 09:49 AM
What are the other specs on it? I have GT35R on the shelf that is not too much larger than my T3/T4 so I'm not sure its going to be the next step up or not.

Xtrempickup
09-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Kelly Gomer has a GT35R on his TIII and it makes good power, Mike Radowski's 10sec TIII rampage that he sold had a GT35R on it then it was on the 8V turbo dakota that he built and stripped and sold in parts. The 8V 93 iroc built by Brian slowe has a gt35R and that car put down 4xx+hp on pump gas. the list can go on and on, its a good turbo, depending on the housings if it gonna be good or bad for you

8valves
09-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Kelly Gomer has a GT35R on his TIII and it makes good power, Mike Radowski's 10sec TIII rampage that he sold had a GT35R on it then it was on the 8V turbo dakota that he built and stripped and sold in parts. The 8V 93 iroc built by Brian slowe has a gt35R and that car put down 4xx+hp on pump gas. the list can go on and on, its a good turbo, depending on the housings if it gonna be good or bad for you

Actually the IROC 8V w/ the 35R made 417 on a pump/race mix..., 370 and change IIRC from his FS thread on straight pump gas now that it's on SDS. :p

Cordes, I was using a 3076R. 8mm smaller exhaust wheel :eek: and 4.6mm smaller compressor inducer.

Simon aren't you the one who always complains about lag? A 35R won't come on line full tilt on a well built 2.3 stroker DSM until 4000-4300. They have a quite large turbine wheel that will allow a lot of power to be made.

35R's are a very particular turbo in regards to what they are happy on. They have a very unique left surge line shape that often causes problems for people. To a point that most turbo manufacturers are comign out with a billet wheel replacement for the SC61/3582R compressor wheel to try to alleviate the surge issues.

turbovanmanČ
09-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Well my old 8 valve didn't hit full boost until 4200, lol.

Thats why I can get a smaller a/r housing to help with lag.

So then, I should go ahead? I can get the current a/r housing size on monday.

They do have an adapter but I don't have the room to use it, T4 to T3.

Xtrempickup
09-07-2008, 02:26 PM
pick it up Simon, if you dont like you can sell it to me:) i think i can make use of it

8valves
09-07-2008, 03:19 PM

The spool time I was quoting you was for a .63 T3 A/R. .82 T3's are near the 5K range usually.

Ondonti
09-07-2008, 03:21 PM
35R's are a very particular turbo in regards to what they are happy on. They have a very unique left surge line shape that often causes problems for people. To a point that most turbo manufacturers are comign out with a billet wheel replacement for the SC61/3582R compressor wheel to try to alleviate the surge issues.

Is the problem the fact that many small displacement cars cant run more then 20psi without worrying about surge....
That would be a great street turbo on my 3.0L from 200hp all the way to 600hp but not so great on smaller engines :(

People could easily fix that by picking a larger turbine housing I would think...and building their car to rev. That is quite a pricey way to make that turbo work though.

If simon could get tuned properly he could probably go as fast as his goals are on only 20psi with that turbo but he never seems to have luck with these calibrations of his.

8valves
09-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Is the problem the fact that many small displacement cars cant run more then 20psi without worrying about surge....
That would be a great street turbo on my 3.0L from 200hp all the way to 600hp but not so great on smaller engines :(

People could easily fix that by picking a larger turbine housing I would think...and building their car to rev. That is quite a pricey way to make that turbo work though.

If simon could get tuned properly he could probably go as fast as his goals are on only 20psi with that turbo but he never seems to have luck with these calibrations of his.

Generally the problem is upon boost ramp-up.

Our pricing (wholesale) between the billet 35R and the standard is only $200.

Most people that buy that turbo though aren't going to run it on a motor built for 10K, since those guys generally want big time boost which that wheel won't do. It's a bit of a catch 22 I suppose.

People bit*h that they don't spool well on a big housing but don't surge when it hits later in the RPM range, but then put a small housing on and surge coming up into boost because their motor can't take it.

SRT4's seem to have a bit of problems witht his, surprisingly.

turbovanmanČ
09-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Ok, so what are we saying, its no good for me? even with a smaller A/R housing?

I will be going standalone over winter, after I learn to play with my cal a bit first. :thumb:

Xtrempickup
09-07-2008, 05:15 PM
if its the .82 a/r its larger than you would want, but you do have a auto car, you can brake boost it to get it going. nothing wrong with growing into a larger turbo

Ondonti
09-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Generally the problem is upon boost ramp-up.

Our pricing (wholesale) between the billet 35R and the standard is only $200.

Most people that buy that turbo though aren't going to run it on a motor built for 10K, since those guys generally want big time boost which that wheel won't do. It's a bit of a catch 22 I suppose.

People bit*h that they don't spool well on a big housing but don't surge when it hits later in the RPM range, but then put a small housing on and surge coming up into boost because their motor can't take it.

SRT4's seem to have a bit of problems witht his, surprisingly.

I was just trying to refer to the fact that the surge line moves right after 20psi boost :(
Stay under there and you might be okay.

SRT-4's have more displacement but their powerbands are in much lower RPM's where the hondas and others can rev past the problem with factory valvetrain.
A k2x honda has almost the same displacement and will always rev 2k higher then a comparable 2.4L :(

2.4L seems to be the whore of surging turbos though. I was giving a local guy a rough time about his 60 trim when he first purchased it. He only broke a few motors/turbos before thinking about changing the turbine size.

turbovanmanČ
09-07-2008, 08:07 PM
I can alter the turbine housing, I don't mind losing some top end, lol.

As for only 20 psi, thats it on a 2.5 TIII?

Xtrempickup
09-07-2008, 08:18 PM
a 35R is gonna want more than 20psi

Turbo3Iroc
09-07-2008, 08:44 PM

I have a .63 AR housing and I am getting full boost well after 4500. I do not know why but I have been getting severe boost creep where I wasn't before. Just made some changes to the car so I will have to report back. It might spool better with that 2.5 but keep in mind this is a big turbo.

turbovanmanČ
09-07-2008, 09:55 PM
I have a .63 AR housing and I am getting full boost well after 4500. I do not know why but I have been getting severe boost creep where I wasn't before. Just made some changes to the car so I will have to report back. It might spool better with that 2.5 but keep in mind this is a big turbo.

So your running this turbo? What have you done to your engine?

Turbo3Iroc
09-08-2008, 01:26 AM
Yes, had it on there for just over a year now. Engine is a stock rebuild with all the updated top end parts. Large plenum intake and a knock off 1080 cfm cooler.

bansheenut420
09-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Yes, had it on there for just over a year now. Engine is a stock rebuild with all the updated top end parts. Large plenum intake and a knock off 1080 cfm cooler.

Any numbers on that setup?

Turbo3Iroc
09-08-2008, 11:53 AM
I've made 403 hp with it but it's still spooling or creeping at 6k. Tq was lower at 337 because of the higher rpm boost peak.

bansheenut420
09-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Very nice! I am fighting, or was fighting creep that was so bad, it almost blew the car up..... twice! :o But, its fixed now. Now I just need to play with it, get the a/f out of the 10s and up the boost and hit the dyno.

turbovanmanČ
09-08-2008, 02:24 PM
I am going to get it but I'll run it next year. I talked to a local turbo guy and he says he runs those on 1.8L VW's with no problems.

I am just going to fix the 50 trim for now to get me going as putting the GT35 on will be a boat load of work that I don't want to do right now.

turbovanmanČ
10-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Guess I'll update for future reference, ;)

I love it, lag isn't really there, full spool at 4200, with the .82 housing and external gate, no creep, nada. I did have to run a ported cover to deal with surge at 30 psi.