PDA

View Full Version : Sold/old visual indicator

zin
09-04-2008, 01:23 PM
After a (very) brief search I didn't find anything on this subject so...

I don't know how many other people have shared my (mild) frustration with searching the "For Sale", or "Wanted" sections only to find after clicking it that it's a post from the 1800s and is no longer valid, or the parts have been sold.

It would be nice to have some visual indicator as to the age of a post and/or if an item has been sold. I realize the latter is a bit tricky and would rely on the seller to follow up, but that's kinda like expecting someone to take down all those campaign signs right after an election!:D But perhaps there is a way to have an ad indicated that it's say: Just posted (1 day old), new (less than a week), old (2 weeks), and since we don't delete, archived (over a month old). Of course the time tables could be changed, but I think they are pretty close to what people would agree with. Another thing that might help is a way to sort posts by the date they were posted, but I don't know if that would be easier or not, if it's easier, that would be almost as helpful as the visual indicator. BTW, this sorting by posted date would be great in the regular forums as well, IMHO.

What say you?

Mike

BadAssPerformance
09-04-2008, 01:27 PM
I thought everything is already dated? Like when you look under the "last post" colum it shows when the last post was made, and when you open the thread each post is dated?

cordes
09-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Since people have the ability to edit their threads now (although I'm not sure if we can edit titles here) it would be proper form for them to add SOLD! to the title. That is pretty common on ARFCOM and makes it much easier to sift through the ads.

zin
09-04-2008, 10:19 PM
I thought everything is already dated? Like when you look under the "last post" colum it shows when the last post was made, and when you open the thread each post is dated?

The only date (that I can find) is the last post date, which isn't very helpful, especially when someone post to a thread that's a month old, bringing it to the top. I'm not knocking these folks, most times they are just looking for additional info about the part, most of them can see that it's likely not still for sale. What I'm proposing is to list and rank by the thread start date, rather than the last post date. Adding an icon to indicate sold/old, etc would be another way to do it, but I'd be very pleased with showing the posting date, especially if one could sort by that date. That would give you the ability to see what is fresh and still for sale.

Mike

BadAssPerformance
09-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Hmmm... wonder if we can add a thread date (as in the date the thread was originally posted) next to the thread starter? I have seen this on other forums...