PDA

View Full Version : turbo 400

mopar4ever
09-04-2008, 02:46 AM
got me a stock 4oo 2bl wanting to slap a turbo on it.

plan is to do a pull thru single turbo set up with a single plane 4bl intake and a themoquade. turbo is a stock 86 t1 garret

later maybe add a cam, hedders, ported 906 heads.

any one think of any promblems i might have with this set up before i get to building it any info or coments would help

dont want to do a blow thew carb, efi or mpi dont have the money just gonna use stuff i got around the house. or stuff i can get cheap or make.

if any one has any pull thru carb pics it would help

Anonymous_User
09-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Since the stock garret is small for the 135 ci it was installed on, I would think it would prove to be a huge restriction on a 400 ci engine.

cordes
09-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Since the stock garret is small for the 135 ci it was installed on, I would think it would prove to be a huge restriction on a 400 ci engine.

Yeah, I really can't see a draw through setup working well at all with that size turbo and motor.

thefitisgay
09-04-2008, 09:33 AM
get 2 turbos off of a.... i forget what they were oldsmobile or buick turbo v6s?

glht_omni
09-04-2008, 03:19 PM
i know 2 v8 turbo guys, 1 was fuel injected 5.0 with a big garret that had an even bigger compressor housing, like 10" tall and ran 24psi on it, stock everything including the exhaust, but had a edelbrock tpi and a fmic.

the other guy had a stock 350sbc and had the draw thru box that went under the carb with a decent size airesearch turbo.81 exhaust side i think, RRR, no ic and 8psi. he sold the wholesetup for $650 on ebay after he went supercharged.

mopar4ever
09-04-2008, 07:11 PM
well maybe ill try a turbo off a cummins i could prolly get one for nothing

glht_omni
09-04-2008, 07:55 PM
$300ish, cant ever go wrong with a holset, unless you own a honda or miata, lol.
you will probably want to just get a 4bbl, the draw through box, a RRR, a ic and the plumbing and the manifold and your done.

in my buddys sbc kit, it was an older kit from the 80's and came with the 1 exhaust manifold you needed and an external wastegate.

WickedShelby88
09-09-2008, 02:54 PM
The problem isn't with the 400 and the garret so much as the 400 2bbl engines had more restrictive heads and such than the 4bbl versions and actually everything on the top end is different. I looked into modding the 400 in the monaco I had for a first car and found I needed everything from a 4 bbl to even make it worth while to do much of anything. Actually the small garret coupled with a good intake and such with the 2bbl heads might actually pan out ok. You definitely need a custom cross over pipe to equalize exhaust pulses on both sides. W/o it your looking to have a bad day on down the road. Sounds like a sweet idea though and theres a ton of room to work with on the pickups that came with the 400 and most of the big B body cars.