PDA

View Full Version : 95 Neon fuel pump-Options.

turbovanmanČ
09-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Whorse's 95 Neon broke down today, fuel pump, :mad: Its a modular unit, so has anyone just replaced the pump and not the unit? They only sell the whole unit, but Cindy and Chris sell Walbro's for the SRT4, which is the same as the 91 and up Turbo Dodges. If this is the case, will it fit this car and if so, how hard are they to install. I usually just replace the assembly but he has no money and has a 255 pump kicking around.

cordes
09-03-2008, 08:26 PM
The pump assy should be easy as pie I don't think you need to drop the tank. It is in pretty much the same spot at the L bodys.

turbovanmanČ
09-03-2008, 08:30 PM
The pump assy should be easy as pie I don't think you need to drop the tank. It is in pretty much the same spot at the L bodys.

Thats not the issue, its the modular assembly, need to know if a regular pump will work in the mod assembly.

cordes
09-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Oh, that I do not know.

turbovanmanČ
09-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Anyone, bueller?

cordes
09-04-2008, 01:38 PM
http://www.modernperformance.com/product_info.php?cPath=160_401&products_id=1192

turbovanmanČ
09-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks, that pretty well answered it. I phoned a few wrecker buddys looking for a bad pump to mess with but no one had any and they told me 95 was an oddball year, :(

cordes
09-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks, that pretty well answered it. I phoned a few wrecker buddys looking for a bad pump to mess with but no one had any and they told me 95 was an oddball year, :(

Yeah there are a few oddball things on the 95 for sure.

shadow88
09-04-2008, 02:33 PM
What I can do tonight for you is take home my buddie's old 97 pump module and dissasemble for pictures and sizes. Then you can tell if the 255lph will fit.

Sounds good? because, if not, I'll just leave it together. lmk

turbovanmanČ
09-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks, but I'll just try this one tonight. :D

shadow88
09-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Any luck? I have an extra 95 pump now too.

Just for anyone else looking into this stuff.....The 95's had metal tanks and pump modules just like our old turbo cars with 2 fuel lines. On the neons'-- other one is a vent. If you wanted to swap to a 96+ plastic tank, you'll need the connector at the pump and the fuel filter and straps from the 96+ neon. Other than that, it's pretty much a bolt in.

inmyshadow
09-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Might I suggest something here. Considering the fact the 1995 dodge neons have alot of one year "options", it might be best to update here. The need is more so considering the location of this neon.

First, update the fuel tank to a 96.5 and up. Neons later came with plastic fuel tanks. Those tanks carry more fuel and have internal fuel filter. The 95 Neon metal tanks are highly prone to rotting out. You need the fuel tank, straps, filler neck, all the soft lines off the tank and fuel filler neck plastic bracket for the gas cap. Cut a pigtail off the body harness just encase. I didn't need it, but it doesn't hurt to have it. I updated to a later tank on my 95 neon. It was pretty cake.

There is a TSB/Recall for 95 Neons and their rotted rear brake lines and fuel lines. http://www.neons.org/neontsb/TSB/recall/RC705.htm

The ABS lines and two fuel lines cost me 70 bucks from the dealer. After blowing both rear lines while autocrossing, it was time to fix the problems. Since I had to drop the tank to replace the left side brake line, I put the fuel lines into. You might have problems finding them, dealers are can only order the lines in kits of 5.

later

turbovanmanČ
09-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Great advice, thanks BUT its a beater, he wants to spend as little as possible-broke, so no upgrade, and hence if a cheaper fuel pump will work, lol!

inmyshadow
09-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Define cheap?

I bought all my plastic tank swap parts for under 70 bucks.

As we all know, on the cheap isn't always the cheapest route to go.

later

Great advice, thanks BUT its a beater, he wants to spend as little as possible-broke, so no upgrade, and hence if a cheaper fuel pump will work, lol!

turbovanmanČ
09-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Define cheap?

I bought all my plastic tank swap parts for under 70 bucks.

As well know, on the cheap isn't always the cheapest route to go.

later

Define cheap, free. He HAS no money, so unless its free, its not happening. If he can't afford $300 for a fuel pump, he can't afford to replace the tank. Around here, the tank is probably $125 then you need the fuel pump as well, so probably another $125-150 for a used pump.