PDA

View Full Version : High impedance injectors on low impedance driver?

RoadWarrior222
09-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Hi folks,

Possibly a dumb question but I found this intarweb expert...
http://members.aol.com/A74Pantera/EFIhrdwr.htm
Who seems to imply that hi-Z injectors work on a low-Z driver...

The reason I ask is 'coz I seem to be acquiring a bunch of high impedance injectors to play with, while my motor/SMEC is low impedance. There appears to be much more choice in high impedance for the range I want to play with...

I'm considering this for the 3.0... which has a 48psi FPR, and I would like to go to slightly smaller injectors and the turbo 55psi FPR, or even if I don't I'd like to use the hi impedance set that came on my spare motor, cleaned out of course.

I know low impedance are meant to be better but finding balanced sets of 6 for a decent price seems unpossible whereas it seems possible to get high impedance really easy and for cheap.

BadAssPerformance
09-01-2008, 11:21 AM
I always thought you had to match impedences so you dont burn up the injectors or whatever drives them in the computer.

I have heard that you can use some high on a low setup before, but not sure if I'd have nuts to try it... fuel delivery is not something I take chances on.

zin
09-02-2008, 12:10 AM
You CAN run High Imp (low amperage) injectors on a computer designed for Low Imp (High Amperage) injectors, but not the other way around. The Low Imp injector drivers are generally of the "peak and hold" variety, they start with a high amperage, then drop it and hold it at the lower amperage. Hope this helps...

Mike

mock_glh
09-02-2008, 12:18 AM
I'm running some hi-imp RC injectors on my Omni and they work just fine. Go ahead and put them on, they'll work.:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
09-02-2008, 12:26 AM
You CAN run High Imp (low amperage) injectors on a computer designed for Low Imp (High Amperage) injectors, but not the other way around. The Low Imp injector drivers are generally of the "peak and hold" variety, they start with a high amperage, then drop it and hold it at the lower amperage. Hope this helps...

Mike

Holy sh*t, that opens up a whole new world for me in injector choice, :nod:

RoadWarrior222
09-02-2008, 08:10 PM
They will have a longer dead time though, so might need picking a pound or so over ideal, or having a cal adjusted.