PDA

View Full Version : Pros/Cons on the Caliber SRT-4

DC Turismo
09-01-2008, 01:04 AM
Within the next year to year and a half, I plan on purchasing my first ever brand new car off the lot, which, after much debate between buying a used SRT-4 Neon or a new V6 Challenger, I've decided to just go with the Caliber SRT-4 as my choice. First off, it has the powerplant that I want (turbocharged SRT-4 version compared to V6). Also, it's a 6 spd. which I feel would be a blast to drive. In addition to that, the SRT-4's have really grown on me appearance wise after seeing the black one at SDAC-18 this year as well as that orange one that was racing at the Rally Race. Looking ahead, this would be a car that I'd be stuck with for a long time, so having four doors to get the future family in and out of would be a plus. And besides all these factors, the price range I've been researching of between $21k - $25k is something that is in my ballpark. In the end, I'm looking to do the black version with the polished rims. The way I see it, I did not like these when they first came out, as I am not a big fan of the base looking models. But with the addition of the SRT-4 appearance package (hood, wing, etc), it'll be nice to own the next step of vehicle that has evolved from the L-bodies! FTW!

Mid to late 80s - L-body
Early 90s - P-body
Mid 90s to early 2000's - Neon
Early 2000s to present - Caliber

Now, this part of the forum doesn't get much activity I see, but what are the pros and cons of the SRT-4. I'd appreciate if only SRT-4 Caliber owners posted on part of their own experience. What are some things I should look for on cars at the dealership? Would you consider my thinking of waiting until next year's models to come out to get one of those rather than this 08 year being the first ones produced? What are your biggest pet peeves about these cars? Thanks in advancE!

glhs727
09-01-2008, 10:06 AM
I own a caliber SRT-4. I love it. The more i drive it, the more I like it. Decent highway mileage, cruise control, etc... plus 280 whp. and that was stock at 10 psi. very good potential for more. Plus Mopar weill be releasing the stage 1, and there are already mopar swaybars and coilovers available if you liked how that orange on performed at sdac on the roadcourse. If you are going to buy a callenger, why buy a v6? and if you get a neon srt-4, make sure you get it from an old guy/girl otherwise most of them are pretty beat.
later,
Cindy

djd's turbo
09-01-2008, 03:37 PM
What kind of gas mileage do you get in yours??? Thanks.

glhs727
09-01-2008, 06:17 PM
I get 29 mpg on the highway at 75-80 mph
I get about 21-24 around town.
BTW mine is for sale $18,900 OBO

GLHNSLHT2
09-01-2008, 08:54 PM
wait? you love it but you're selling it so soon? Something doesn't add up.

glhs727
09-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Yes, I love it, but we only bought it as a temporary vehicle while I was building my other srt-4. I have finished my build, and James says I have too many cars, so I have to sell it. The good news is James liked it a lot and he said I can get another one sometime in the future. I'm OK with all that.
Later,
Cindy

turbovanman²
09-01-2008, 09:44 PM
The only advice I can give is wait one more year. There are always first year glitches etc and then they correct them and add more goodies for the 2nd year. The Quaife in the Neon SRT4 is a good point.

glhs727
09-01-2008, 09:49 PM
actually Simon, the 03 srt-4 neons were better built than the late 04's and 05 ones, IMHO They may not have had a quaife, but then again when they added the quaiffe, they also added another $1500 to the cost. There aren't any new performance enhancements slated for the 09 caliber srt-4's although they will have the added option of the mygig radio, and they getting rid of the orange and adding blue as color choices.
later,
Cindy

turbovanman²
09-01-2008, 09:57 PM
actually Simon, the 03 srt-4 neons were better built than the late 04's and 05 ones, IMHO They may not have had a quaife, but then again when they added the quaiffe, they also added another $1500 to the cost. There aren't any new performance enhancements slated for the 09 caliber srt-4's although they will have the added option of the mygig radio, and they getting rid of the orange and adding blue as color choices.
later,
Cindy

Maybe so but if you check the history of most new models, the first years are riddled with problems as they either rushed them out, or the testing was fine and the guinea pigs-us, found issues by driving them like we are supposed too, lol!

contraption22
09-02-2008, 09:18 AM
The only cons I can see are purely subjective. If you like the vehicle and don't mind the price, then it should be a fun vehicle for you.

I myself if I were shopping for a fun, small car would not be stopping at the Dodge Dealership when the Cobalt SS and Mazdaspeed3 are available. My brand loyalty is not strong enough to get me into a Caliber.

Captain Chaos
09-02-2008, 09:47 AM
My brand loyalty is not strong enough to get me into a Caliber.

My brand loyalty is strong enough to keep me Mopar, just not Caliber. I wake up every morning, get out of bed and kick my own a$$ for selling the SRT.:mad:

Vigo
09-02-2008, 11:50 AM
i dont own a caliber, so i may not be 'qualified' to comment in here, but the REASON i dont own a caliber is because of my experiences in one. I rented one for a week. it was not an srt, so all powertrain issues aside..

i still hated it. it was tall and narrow, and felt like a mini minivan when throwing it around. the srt is lower but the seating position within the body as well as the overall proportions as far as where the weight is are not 'sporting' by my book. i also disliked the interior ergonomics. the ride was bad, even with soft stock suspension and huge sidewalls on huge tires. i imagine the srt is worse.

AWD is a big attraction, and the power is impressive, but if i was in the market, id go for the mazdaspeed3, based on everything ive read, AND my own experience driving our mazda3 daily. its really everything a small car should be, in my opinion. you wont find a better handling small car outside of a mini cooper s, or a mazdaSPEED3, which also happened to be declared the best handling fwd car in the world by motor trend. based on our base models handling, i believe it. the styling, with the exception of the stock wheels, imo, is amazing, and thats even at the end of its lifecycle.. the design is already old and i much prefer it over many newer small cars.

10G OMNI
09-03-2008, 12:35 AM
handling can be fun but it get old,nothing like a turbo to get you going and a dealer to feed you performance parts

Dodge Aries K
09-03-2008, 05:25 AM
I didn't have an SRT-4 Caliber (drove one tho), but I had a 2007 SXT Sport Caliber and a 2004 Neon SRT4.

My 07 Caliber was the absolute worst car I have ever owned. I had a boatload of problems which made me say F--- YOU CALITURD with only 5100 miles on it and I traded it in towards my 2004 SRT4.

After driving the Neon SRT4 and then driving the Caliber SRT4... the Neon version is what a true sports car is suppost to be like. Fast, loud, and insanely fun. The Caliber version wasn't as quick, nimble, or fun to drive.

Not a day goes by where I don't miss that SRT4 Neon I had. I admit tho, I miss my Caliber too... only if it wasn't a pile of absolute junk... the car itself was handy and comfortable.

unluckyty
09-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Don't have an srt version, but recently purchased a SXT 5 speed Caliber.
Car was purchased as a family/daily driver and good mpg (33.6 around town). I like the higher seating position, and the interior fits me fine, at 6'2. Test drove the CVT transmision caliber and didn't like it at all.

Killer price on Cindy's CSRT.

Greg

Vigo
09-03-2008, 04:06 PM
the cvt kills that car worse than anything else. even the 2.4 R/T runs 17s.. a lancer with the same motor and a 5 speed runs high 15s. and that whole second is somewhere between 0-10mph.. try getting out into traffic from a stop and you will damn near kill yourself.

also, as far as handling... its what keeps you alive in accident avoidance situations.. and those get more and more common the faster your car is :thumb:

contraption22
09-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Ruthie has a Patriot with a 2.4 CVT combo, and it takes some getting used to, but I like it. Really low highway cruise RPM for a 4 cyl auto.

DC Turismo
09-04-2008, 12:25 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys and gals.! My brand loyalty is the reason I am going to go with a Caliber. I despised of them at first completely, but seeing those handful of SRT-4 version ones at SDAC really changed my mind, as the other models don't even compare appearance wise in my opinion. If I didn't mention, I am planning on waiting until the next year's model year is out for a while until I pick one up, for I do not trust first year cars either lol.... It was asked why would I buy a V6 Challenger if I went that route, well, simply because I have other plans $$$ wise and I'm setting the limit to spend on a new car next year at $25 max. Oh how sweet an SRT-8 Challenger would be though! Maybe if I hit the lottery I'll change plans.

Regardless, the main selling point for me is that it is the next step of evolution of Chrysler's sector of these types of vehicles. Also, I no longer want an SRT-4 Neon for the very reason that Cindy brought up in the sense that most are beat on anymore, and to spend the amount of money on one that they're bringing in is not worth it in my eyes if I'd have to end up fixing stuff on it. Compared to buying a brand new 09 CSRT, which I wouldn't have to worry about fixing anything that a previous owner toyed with or beat up.

Some questions I thought about since posting this thread:

1. Does it feel like you're sitting up real high in one of these?
2. Is the 13 speaker sound system upgrade worth it?
3. How is the interior noise level while driving?
4. Is MP offering any upgrades/tasteful mods for these yet?
5. How is shifting on the dash compared to the floor?
6. Does the CSRT come with a different suspension package compared to the SXT or R/T models? Or does the SRT-4 package simply consist of the 6 spd. and turbo/ic'd motor?
7. Accessibility wise, is it easy to get in and out of all four doors?

BTW, this car is going to solely be for a daily commuting, regardless of weather or distance, transport car. I'm not racing drags nor autocross, but am curious as to the handling now since it's been brought up a couple of times. I've always wanted a manual shift car for d.d.'ing, and feel that with a 6 spd. turbo setup, it will be a blast to drive.

DC Turismo
09-04-2008, 12:41 AM
The biggest problem in my mind thus far is the color selection. Each color choice has its appealing angles, and I am truly unsure as to which one I like best.

Red:
http://carad.ebayimg.com/i2/02/a/000/79/42/ade6_4.JPG

^ My favorite so far, but of course, red = flashy and I know all too well about receiving speeding tix in red cars. Red's trademark of Chrysler though these days, and the color gives meaning to the red stitching inside. Plus, red/chrome rim combo is saweeeeeeeet!

Black:
http://images7.ecarlist.com/photos/1402_159338/640/00.jpg

^ Really awesome color scheme as well. I think the flat black accents on the car would really be a nice combo with the gloss black paint. Very stealth like as well (especially with some tinted windows). However, harder to keep clean, which would frustrate me. Is the color all of my buddy's want me to go with though.

Silver:
http://buttondodge.klings.com/B-5027-08DodgeCaliberSRT4-052008/5027-1.jpg

^ My least favorite out of the three because to me silver gets plain and boring over time. Easy to keep clean though, and the exterior color blends well with the interior color dash-wise as well as rim-wise.

I do think if I go with a color other than black that I will be adding a black spoiler to match up with the top roof moldings (from the side view) to add an accent of my own. Maybe this will hide the 'Pull me over' sign on it too. :o

glhs727
09-04-2008, 01:01 AM
at first it does, especially if you are used to driving a shelby charger or neon srt-4. But after a while, I actually got used to it, and now like it. And when you pull up next to a surburban, it feels a lot lower LOL

How much do you listen to music? If you are getting the car new, I would spring for the $1100 upgrade, but you don't need 13 speakers, come on, it's not a big car! And for $1100 and you can install a pretty decent stereo yourself.

3. How is the interior noise level while driving? Surprisingly quiet. There are times when I am standing outside the car and my teenager is inside with the stereo cranked to 25 on the volume button. I can't hear anything outside but open the door....."wth???..turn it down!!!"

yes, stage 1 ecus will be coming out and they already have a BOV, coilovers and swaybars, and front strut bar available.

5. How is shifting on the dash compared to the floor? At first it feel weird, but after a while it is actually nicer and more comfortable. Shifter is smooth, and I really like the 6 speed and having cruise control!

6. Does the CSRT come with a different suspension package compared to the SXT or R/T models? Or does the SRT-4 package simply consist of the 6 spd. and turbo/ic'd motor? It comes with better brakes, wheels, tires, suspension, seats, exhaust etc... not just a plain caliber with a big motor. They really made a nice allaround pacakge.

Super easy, and the rear seats fold down so you can haul a bunch of stuff if needed.
Sitting up high it seems that it wouldn't handle well, but it actual handles very well. Stops great, and you can take it pretty hard around corners. Stock to stock, I think it handled better than my neon srt-4. The more I drove it, the more I liked it. I think it is really a car you need to drive for a couple of weeks of DD to really appreciate it's versatility. I'm sorry to see it go, but having 5 daily drivers is a bit excessive:D
later,
Cindy

Johnny
09-04-2008, 01:27 AM
Cindy's husband let me drive their SRT Caliber at SDAC. I REALLY liked the way it drove. I drove a regular Caliber, could care less for it. The SRT would make a great car for a young family, roomy but still fun. Kind of like my GLHS was back when it had 1,100 miles on it when I bought it (still have it). It may be kind of like a wagon or very small mini van, but drives so much better.
I have come to like the way they look, too.

Johnny
PB

Vigo
09-04-2008, 12:47 PM
heh, i think its good that Cindy pointed out that it DOES handle better than a STOCK srt-4. it may not handle like an evo or ms3 but it doesnt take much to beat the stock srt-4 setup that some people seem to think handles well :p

i dont think i would be unhappy with one, truth be told, but if i was spending a lot of money id get something i thought was actually badass, style included, and honestly i might even pick a mini clubman or gti before a ms3, but a caliber would be pretty far down. now if they put the parts on a patriot i would sure as ---- buy that cuz i LOVE FUNKY --- SLEEPERS!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

sherm1123
09-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys and gals.! My brand loyalty is the reason I am going to go with a Caliber. I despised of them at first completely, but seeing those handful of SRT-4 version ones at SDAC really changed my mind, as the other models don't even compare appearance wise in my opinion. If I didn't mention, I am planning on waiting until the next year's model year is out for a while until I pick one up, for I do not trust first year cars either lol.... It was asked why would I buy a V6 Challenger if I went that route, well, simply because I have other plans $$$ wise and I'm setting the limit to spend on a new car next year at $25 max. Oh how sweet an SRT-8 Challenger would be though! Maybe if I hit the lottery I'll change plans.

Regardless, the main selling point for me is that it is the next step of evolution of Chrysler's sector of these types of vehicles. Also, I no longer want an SRT-4 Neon for the very reason that Cindy brought up in the sense that most are beat on anymore, and to spend the amount of money on one that they're bringing in is not worth it in my eyes if I'd have to end up fixing stuff on it. Compared to buying a brand new 09 CSRT, which I wouldn't have to worry about fixing anything that a previous owner toyed with or beat up.

Some questions I thought about since posting this thread:

3. How is the interior noise level while driving?
5. How is shifting on the dash compared to the floor?
6. Does the CSRT come with a different suspension package compared to the SXT or R/T models? Or does the SRT-4 package simply consist of the 6 spd. and turbo/ic'd motor?

BTW, this car is going to solely be for a daily commuting, regardless of weather or distance, transport car. I'm not racing drags nor autocross, but am curious as to the handling now since it's been brought up a couple of times. I've always wanted a manual shift car for d.d.'ing, and feel that with a 6 spd. turbo setup, it will be a blast to drive.

I traded my 2003 SRT4 in on a 2008 CSRT4 and could not be more happy with the decision. The CSRT is an amazing car as you and other saw at SDAC. I love driving it! It has incredible power and handeling and turns heads wherever you go. Mine is a DD and gets great gas milage and is very comfortable. I've got 15,000 miles on mine now with no issues. I put 126,000 on the NSRT and it never visited the dealer. The SRT vehicles are not your typical cars. They are tested and built to a different standard than the base models.

To answer a couple of your questions, yes there is a good aftermarket for performance and appearance upgrades from MOPAR and other vendors. There are several forums just for the CSRT with (in my opinion) the best being www.caliberforums.com . You can get a vast amount of CSRT info there. As far as noise, it is a huge step up in fit and finish from the NSRT. Its not a BMW, but I have no complaints. The shifter is in a perfect place ergonomically for shifting- again the SRT engineers left nothing untested or to chance- this vehicle is a complete package! You will not be dissappointed! Please keep us posted on your purchase.

One last point in regards to 2008/2009. The only advantage you get with the 2009 is the choice of blue/loss of orange and the availability of ordering the My Gig. If neither of these are a draw I would look for a left over 2008. You will save $1000's and have lower insurance too. There have been no major issues with the 2008's and there will be no changes to anything mechanical for the 2009's, just a bump in the base price.

Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck!

sherm1123
09-04-2008, 03:39 PM
What kind of gas mileage do you get in yours??? Thanks.

I average 27 mpg with 40% city 60% highway. I have seen 34mpg on long road trips. Cruise control does help. The milage is incredible considering the available power.

sherm1123
09-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Maybe so but if you check the history of most new models, the first years are riddled with problems as they either rushed them out, or the testing was fine and the guinea pigs-us, found issues by driving them like we are supposed too, lol!

I would agree that many base model cars have issues their first year. This is not just any car- it is an SRT. They are built and tested to a different degree and standard than the base models. Similar to a Shelby GLHS compared to a base Omni. The 2008's are done and there have been no "glitches" with the cars. There will be no changes between the 2008 and 2009 models mechanically or appearance wise besides the typical SRT color change- orange is gone- hello blue.

sherm1123
09-04-2008, 03:53 PM
i dont own a caliber, so i may not be 'qualified' to comment in here, but the REASON i dont own a caliber is because of my experiences in one. I rented one for a week. it was not an srt, so all powertrain issues aside..

i still hated it. it was tall and narrow, and felt like a mini minivan when throwing it around. the srt is lower but the seating position within the body as well as the overall proportions as far as where the weight is are not 'sporting' by my book. i also disliked the interior ergonomics. the ride was bad, even with soft stock suspension and huge sidewalls on huge tires. i imagine the srt is worse.

AWD is a big attraction, and the power is impressive, but if i was in the market, id go for the mazdaspeed3, based on everything ive read, AND my own experience driving our mazda3 daily. its really everything a small car should be, in my opinion. you wont find a better handling small car outside of a mini cooper s, or a mazdaSPEED3, which also happened to be declared the best handling fwd car in the world by motor trend. based on our base models handling, i believe it. the styling, with the exception of the stock wheels, imo, is amazing, and thats even at the end of its lifecycle.. the design is already old and i much prefer it over many newer small cars.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your rental expierince, but this post is for people who own, or at least have driven the CSRT, to give their opinions. Comparing the base rental Caliber to the CSRT offers nothing to this discussion; its like saying I once drove an Omni, so here's my opinion on the GLHS....

Oh, I too love the Mazda 3- wife and daughter both currently own them- but there is no comparison to the CSRT.

sherm1123
09-04-2008, 03:55 PM
the cvt kills that car worse than anything else. even the 2.4 R/T runs 17s.. a lancer with the same motor and a 5 speed runs high 15s. and that whole second is somewhere between 0-10mph.. try getting out into traffic from a stop and you will damn near kill yourself.

also, as far as handling... its what keeps you alive in accident avoidance situations.. and those get more and more common the faster your car is :thumb:

The CSRT does NOT have CVT- it has a 6 speed maual transmission...

Vigo
09-05-2008, 01:17 PM
its like saying I once drove an Omni, so here's my opinion on the GLHS....

actually, having the impression of an omni that it is a flimsy rattletrap that rides badly and that will get you killed in an accident applies to every omni, regardless of what you bolt to it. That may not be much of an issue to us now 20 years later when all we care about is cheap thrills and not so much orphaning our kids, but observations about the basic design that body kits and springs and wheel horsepower dont change are worth something..

a minivan seating position in something that feels taller than it feels wide and interior ergonomics that cant compare to competing cars are stuff that dont change with trim level. people have a right to their opinion of what twenty-something thousand dollars should get them, and i think what i pointed out may be important to some people.the best handling, fastest minivan in the world will still feel like a van and thats enough to turn some people off. the caliber isnt a van, but i only say that because it has inferior cargo capacity compared to a REAL van. :p

I wasnt insinuating that the srt had a cvt, but i see even you probably agree that it would be unbearable if it did :)

i like csrt's for a lot of reasons but i think a lot of people would like something a little more car-like in experience and less turbo-crossover/microvan like.

anyway ive said a lot for someone who doesnt own one so im done.:amen:

sherm1123
09-05-2008, 02:48 PM
actually, having the impression of an omni that it is a flimsy rattletrap that rides badly and that will get you killed in an accident applies to every omni, regardless of what you bolt to it. That may not be much of an issue to us now 20 years later when all we care about is cheap thrills and not so much orphaning our kids, but observations about the basic design that body kits and springs and wheel horsepower dont change are worth something..

a minivan seating position in something that feels taller than it feels wide and interior ergonomics that cant compare to competing cars are stuff that dont change with trim level. people have a right to their opinion of what twenty-something thousand dollars should get them, and i think what i pointed out may be important to some people.the best handling, fastest minivan in the world will still feel like a van and thats enough to turn some people off. the caliber isnt a van, but i only say that because it has inferior cargo capacity compared to a REAL van. :p

I wasnt insinuating that the srt had a cvt, but i see even you probably agree that it would be unbearable if it did :)

i like csrt's for a lot of reasons but i think a lot of people would like something a little more car-like in experience and less turbo-crossover/microvan like.

anyway ive said a lot for someone who doesnt own one so im done.:amen:

The Caliber has a 5 Star Crash rating and is one of the safest vehicles on the road.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/safety.aspx?year=2008&make=Dodge&model=Caliber

I'm really not sure why there are all the comparisons to the minivan, other than the Caliber is very versitile and can haul allot of people and stuff. The CSRT only sits a couple inches higher than the NSRT and handles much, much better as many of you saw at SDAC. All I can say is hold your opinion on how the CSRT handles until you have driven one. If they were anything like a mini-van I don't beleive Dodge would be featuring them as part of their SRT Track Expierence nationwide nor would the CSRT be a NASCAR pacecar as it was recently. It hauls --- in the straights AND around the twisties.

contraption22
09-05-2008, 03:19 PM
The Caliber has a 5 Star Crash rating and is one of the safest vehicles on the road.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/safety.aspx?year=2008&make=Dodge&model=Caliber

I'm really not sure why there are all the comparisons to the minivan, other than the Caliber is very versitile and can haul allot of people and stuff. The CSRT only sits a couple inches higher than the NSRT and handles much, much better as many of you saw at SDAC. All I can say is hold your opinion on how the CSRT handles until you have driven one. If they were anything like a mini-van I don't beleive Dodge would be featuring them as part of their SRT Track Expierence nationwide nor would the CSRT be a NASCAR pacecar as it was recently. It hauls --- in the straights AND around the twisties.

Nobody saw a that the Caliber handles better than the Neon at SDAC. What we saw was a modified Caliber development mule that handled much better than stock suspended Neons. Lets not compare one-off genetically engineered apples to plain old oranges. Nobody that brought a production line Caliber SRT-4 had it on the road course.

DC Turismo
09-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Well I test drove one tonight, and needless to say even babying it I'm sold and will be getting into one of these. Let the saving begin! :evil:

Test drove a black one. Really am liking that color scheme as its stealthier than the other options (considering the hood vents, large spoiler, gfx, etc.) It rode VERY smoothly as well as quiet. Handled nicely and got up and went faster than anything I've been in for a while. Interior was very comfortable. I didn't feel like I was up too high, but the only thing I do not like are two things:

1) They come equipped with power windows and those creature comforts that I'd much rather just get rid of
2) The passenger door panel is plain and ugly as sin. When I get one, I'm going to get the same SRT logo from the seats stitched into the door panels, or at least an emblem placed in there! lol....

The car I looked at was priced at $26k, and that did not include the Kicker audio system, which was something I really wanted to see and experience for myself, as I plan on getting that since I'm buying my first and probably only brand new car of my lifetime and am looking at it in terms of the go big or go home philosophy. If I pass on something I know I'm going to regret not getting that certain option, so whatever.

Anyways, I was very pleased with its appearance (especially in black as I mentioned) as well as its performance. Getting used to a thicker steering wheel, longer dash, and less noise from suspension is going to be a challenge when the time comes though hahaha....

glhs727
09-06-2008, 12:33 AM
well you could save $8K and buy mine:eyebrows:

DC Turismo
09-06-2008, 12:50 AM
well you could save $8K and buy mine:eyebrows:

LOL... If you still have it in a year we'll talk :lol:

One thing I forgot to mention, the Caliber I looked at tonight got mad orange peel. I thought the Brilliant Black Pearl was supposed to have a sparkly appearance in it?

sherm1123
09-06-2008, 07:38 AM
Well I test drove one tonight, and needless to say even babying it I'm sold and will be getting into one of these. Let the saving begin! :evil:

Test drove a black one. Really am liking that color scheme as its stealthier than the other options (considering the hood vents, large spoiler, gfx, etc.) It rode VERY smoothly as well as quiet. Handled nicely and got up and went faster than anything I've been in for a while. Interior was very comfortable. I didn't feel like I was up too high, but the only thing I do not like are two things:

1) They come equipped with power windows and those creature comforts that I'd much rather just get rid of
2) The passenger door panel is plain and ugly as sin. When I get one, I'm going to get the same SRT logo from the seats stitched into the door panels, or at least an emblem placed in there! lol....

The car I looked at was priced at $26k, and that did not include the Kicker audio system, which was something I really wanted to see and experience for myself, as I plan on getting that since I'm buying my first and probably only brand new car of my lifetime and am looking at it in terms of the go big or go home philosophy. If I pass on something I know I'm going to regret not getting that certain option, so whatever.

Anyways, I was very pleased with its appearance (especially in black as I mentioned) as well as its performance. Getting used to a thicker steering wheel, longer dash, and less noise from suspension is going to be a challenge when the time comes though hahaha....

Black is beautiful! Glad you had fun with the test drive!

sherm1123
09-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Nobody saw a that the Caliber handles better than the Neon at SDAC. What we saw was a modified Caliber development mule that handled much better than stock suspended Neons. Lets not compare one-off genetically engineered apples to plain old oranges. Nobody that brought a production line Caliber SRT-4 had it on the road course.

The reviews I read about SDAC event stated it had limited modifications and nothing that wasn't commercially available, but regardless of that specific vehicle, stock CSRT's are winning AutoX events across the country, being featured at all of the SRT Track Experience events, and being used as NASCAR pace cars. I don't really think there is much of a debate about their incredible handling on the road courses anymore.

contraption22
09-06-2008, 08:19 AM
The reviews I read about SDAC event stated it had limited modifications and nothing that wasn't commercially available, but regardless of that specific vehicle, stock CSRT's are winning AutoX events across the country, being featured at all of the SRT Track Experience events, and being used as NASCAR pace cars. I don't really think there is much of a debate about their incredible handling on the road courses anymore.

It had a complete coilover suspensions, huge brakes and competition tires. Perhaps they are Mopar Performance parts... but expect to add a few thousand dollars onto the already high price of the Caliber to get that kind of performance. That Caliber was able to outbrake and corner me on my all-season tires, but I was consiststenly leaving it behind on the stretches.

I'll have to do some checking into what class the Caliber SRT4 is in and what vehicles it's up against before I am impressed. I know a guy that won his class every time he raced his '89 Country Squire Wagon.

I havent seen a Sprint Cup race this year that hasn't had a Corvette as a pace car, but admittedly I haven't seen them all. NASCAR is a big sanctioning body. As far as I can see it only paced the NAPA 200 in Montreal. A Nationwide Series road course race. I dunno if you are aware of this, but the pace car usually isn't the fastest car on the track. If you're argument is that the Caliber is able to lap a roadcourse at the break-neck pace of 40mph... you've won.

SRT Experience features all SRT vehicles..... why WOULDN'T they include the Caliber?

As far as subjective... everything I have read comparing the NSRT4 to the CSRT4 have said the Caliber is impressive FOR WHAT IT IS, but it has more body roll, brakes that inspire less confidence, complain about the lack of a TRUE lsd.

glhs727
09-06-2008, 09:39 AM
The sdac caliber had the mopar coilovers, (which are avaialable now but very pricey), anmd maybe the mopar swaybar package, I can remember. Also had stock brakes with the exception of better pads a nd better tires, so yea, it isn't fair to use that as an example except to say that you can easily upgrade your caliber with available parts. BUT again, I have driven both a stock neon srt-4 and a stock caliber srt-4. and surpringly the caliber was more stable and handled better. I think people get the misunderstanding that it rides/handles bad becuase it does kinda look like a truck. In reality isn't mush bigger/taller/longer than a neon.
later,
Cindy

brummy
09-06-2008, 12:13 PM
She's just waiting up here at the local 5 star dealership.....I'm tempted to take a test drive myself. I'll check what the going price is for ya.

contraption22
09-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Just stopped at the local Chevy dealer to look at Malibu's with dad. They had an Cobalt SS Turbo in the showroom. Optioned out even with the $495 REAL mechanical LSD it was $21k with a 5/100 warranty. Pick up this months motor trend to see how it compared not to the Caliber, but to the Shelby GT500:)

Also the Cobalt can be flash tuned by thousands of tuner shops that can tune late model GM's. That means you will not be dependant on Mopar's staged upgrades, goofy piggyback units or aftermarket engine management. The ECOtech engine already has many years of development behind it as is arguably the baddest 4cylinder performance engine out there.

Last and not least. Nobody is going to be arguing if a cobalt is a car, a mini-minivan or an SUV.

glhs727
09-06-2008, 02:47 PM
The cobalt isn't too bad for the price. I don't like the looks but each their own. I do know we had one in the shop recently, it was 12 hour job to do the clutch. You have to remove the whole subframe to do a clutch job. not fun for the average wrencher.
later,
Cindy

Vigo
09-06-2008, 04:59 PM
gm has a habit of having you remove the subframe on a LOT of its FWD to do tranny r&r. Working at a tranny shop, my worst enemies were northstar fwd gms. :mad:

i dont want people to think im bashing the csrt.. im just listing things i felt that other people might relate to about the basic platform. Im glad it has good safety ratings because that is one reason why i have never been that tempted to go down the extra 2 or 3 hundred lbs from my aries to an omni.. the 'feeling' of safety was worth the weight to me.

speaking of modified neon handling, motor trend once ran a tuner nsrt through the slalom at over 72mph, beating damn near everything on record. but once you looked at the specs you saw it wasnt a street-friendly setup.

again i say, put the csrt ---- on a patriot and i will buy one like NOW. even a glhs was essentially a prettied up box.. when you look at one you can still see where the 13" tires and whitewalls would go. the csrt actually looks fast... too obvious. i want something ridiculous and the 300hp awd psrt (patriot) would be my choice :lol::lol:

DC Turismo
09-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Get an SRT-8 Jeep then! lol...

http://www.tomstrongman.com/RoadTests/06%20Jeep%20SRT8/Images/_MG_7101.jpg

sherm1123
09-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Just stopped at the local Chevy dealer to look at Malibu's with dad. They had an Cobalt SS Turbo in the showroom. Optioned out even with the $495 REAL mechanical LSD it was $21k with a 5/100 warranty. Pick up this months motor trend to see how it compared not to the Caliber, but to the Shelby GT500:)

Also the Cobalt can be flash tuned by thousands of tuner shops that can tune late model GM's. That means you will not be dependant on Mopar's staged upgrades, goofy piggyback units or aftermarket engine management. The ECOtech engine already has many years of development behind it as is arguably the baddest 4cylinder performance engine out there.

Last and not least. Nobody is going to be arguing if a cobalt is a car, a mini-minivan or an SUV.

That is a great deal as the base price with NO options for the Cobalt SS is $23,000!

http://www.chevrolet.com/cobalt/

There must be a reason GM is "giving" them away...

Also, maybe we could try and get this thread back on topic, I'm really not sure how the glowing review of the Cobalt has anything to do with CSRT owners pros and cons. It might be better suited for "The Lounge".

thefitisgay
09-07-2008, 12:53 AM
That is a great deal as the base price with NO options for the Cobalt SS is $23,000!

thats easy they are slow :amen:

i just smoked one

with 7psi

hahahaha

dono if it was an ss tho it was dark

contraption22
09-07-2008, 01:56 AM
thats easy they are slow :amen:

i just smoked one

with 7psi

hahahaha

dono if it was an ss tho it was dark

You didn't beat an SS with only 7psi. lol Mystery solved.

contraption22
09-07-2008, 02:00 AM

Also, maybe we could try and get this thread back on topic, I'm really not sure how the glowing review of the Cobalt has anything to do with CSRT owners pros and cons. It might be better suited for "The Lounge".

It's easily on topic. One of the cons of buying a CSRT is that there are better peforming cars out there for less money.

The reason they are "giving them away" is on your calendar. '09's are comming dude.

sherm1123
09-07-2008, 12:22 PM
It had a complete coilover suspensions, huge brakes and competition tires. Perhaps they are Mopar Performance parts... but expect to add a few thousand dollars onto the already high price of the Caliber to get that kind of performance. That Caliber was able to outbrake and corner me on my all-season tires, but I was consiststenly leaving it behind on the stretches.

I'll have to do some checking into what class the Caliber SRT4 is in and what vehicles it's up against before I am impressed. I know a guy that won his class every time he raced his '89 Country Squire Wagon.

I havent seen a Sprint Cup race this year that hasn't had a Corvette as a pace car, but admittedly I haven't seen them all. NASCAR is a big sanctioning body. As far as I can see it only paced the NAPA 200 in Montreal. A Nationwide Series road course race. I dunno if you are aware of this, but the pace car usually isn't the fastest car on the track. If you're argument is that the Caliber is able to lap a roadcourse at the break-neck pace of 40mph... you've won.

SRT Experience features all SRT vehicles..... why WOULDN'T they include the Caliber?

As far as subjective... everything I have read comparing the NSRT4 to the CSRT4 have said the Caliber is impressive FOR WHAT IT IS, but it has more body roll, brakes that inspire less confidence, complain about the lack of a TRUE lsd.

Yes, the CSRT does come with huge brakes- 13" rotors to be exact- STOCK. That is why it has huge wheels- to fit over the huge brakes. I'm sure the upgrades to your car beyond stock are minimal and that they cost nothing?

Here is a link to a first time auto X'er who took a 2nd place throphy his first time auto crossing in an open class of everybody but the Porches. He finished second to a veteran Corvette driver.

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7094&highlight=auto+x

As far as the pace car goes, no, I don't believe I suggested that the CSRT was the fastest car on the field. I think it is more about the prestige. As you stated most of the NASCAR races are being paced by corvettes, so in comparison, NASCAR is putting the CSRT into the same "sports car" category as the corvette which has a similar top speed of the corvette. At 160+ MPH the CSRT may not be the fastest car on the field, but it can certainly pace them. Here is a link to another recent race that the CSRT paced.

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8297&highlight=pace+car

In regards to the SRT Track Experience, yes as an SRT vehichle, you would expect the CSRT to be represented, but as the least expensive, by almost half, it is surprising to me, at least, that it would be the feature road course car. Of all the SRT vehicles, it is the one that Dodge is showcasing on the road course. To quote one of the SRT engineers, that is because, "the more you throw at it, the more it can handle." If you want to read any on of the many posts about the track events, I'll gladly send you links and I will certainly post my impressions after going myself next month. It is one of the perks for buying an SRT- free admission to the event ($500 savings). To stay on topic- add that to a big PRO for purchasing the CSRT!

sherm1123
09-07-2008, 12:38 PM
It's easily on topic. One of the cons of buying a CSRT is that there are better peforming cars out there for less money.

The reason they are "giving them away" is on your calendar. '09's are comming dude.

Just out of curiosity, what was the sticker on the optioned out SS for $21000? I looked on line and they aren't offering a LSD, a fully loaded SS was just shy of $25,000. They must really be having trouble moving them at $4000 below sticker and with an aftermarket LSD added too!

To qoute the original poster, the purpose of the thread is:

"I'd appreciate if only SRT-4 Caliber owners posted on part of their own experience. What are some things I should look for on cars at the dealership? Would you consider my thinking of waiting until next year's models to come out to get one of those rather than this 08 year being the first ones produced? What are your biggest pet peeves about these cars? Thanks in advance!"

I don't think by that statement he was asking for anyone to suggest other cars, especially not non Turbo-Mopars, for him to purchase instead. If he was wanting reviews of the Cobalt SS and why it is a better choice than the CSRT he could have posted on one of the many Cobalt or non Turbo-Mopar sites.

sherm1123
09-07-2008, 12:48 PM
You didn't beat an SS with only 7psi. lol Mystery solved.

I haven't raced a turbo Cobalt yet (as far as I know), but I never had any trouble with beating any of the supercharged ones I raced in my stock 03 NSRT.

That is another reason I don't like the Cobalts, just like the MS3, you can't tell them apart from the regular models. No one will ever mistake my CSRT for a stock Caliber, another big PRO for ownership of the CSRT for me.

contraption22
09-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I haven't raced a turbo Cobalt yet (as far as I know), but I never had any trouble with beating any of the supercharged ones I raced in my stock 03 NSRT.

That is another reason I don't like the Cobalts, just like the MS3, you can't tell them apart from the regular models. No one will ever mistake my CSRT for a stock Caliber, another big PRO for ownership of the CSRT for me.

The supercharged ones were slower than the current models.

contraption22
09-07-2008, 01:45 PM
You ask an SRT engineer at an SRT event what he thinks of the car... what do you expect him to say?

The Caliber at the SDAC 18 track event had aluminum monoblock calipers on it. Not stock.

Any car company with enough money can have a pace car. I've seen Camrys pacing races.... would you like to gush about what a thrill ride those cars are?

The slowest new vettes have a top speed of ~180mph. How much power do you honestly thing it would take tp push the Calibrick up to that speed?
Hint: It will take more than the 400HP the vettes have.

sherm1123
09-07-2008, 02:40 PM
You ask an SRT engineer at an SRT event what he thinks of the car... what do you expect him to say?

The Caliber at the SDAC 18 track event had aluminum monoblock calipers on it. Not stock.

Any car company with enough money can have a pace car. I've seen Camrys pacing races.... would you like to gush about what a thrill ride those cars are?

The slowest new vettes have a top speed of ~180mph. How much power do you honestly thing it would take tp push the Calibrick up to that speed?
Hint: It will take more than the 400HP the vettes have.

I assume you work for GM? I really thought this was a Turbo-MOPAR site? I don't think anyone here cares about Corvettes. I personally hate them. They are as common as the middle aged balding doctors that drive them. There is nothing spectacular about them, well except the price.

To once again try and keep this thread on topic; the Corvette is exactly why I own a CSRT. I don't follow the crowd; I drive something different- a Turbo-MOPAR, which I thought was the purpose of this site. I don't even notice Corvettes when I'm driving, they are common and boring. The CSRT is not; it is different, original, and certainly not common- a big PRO in my book.

contraption22
09-07-2008, 03:22 PM
I assume you work for GM? I really thought this was a Turbo-MOPAR site? I don't think anyone here cares about Corvettes. I personally hate them. They are as common as the middle aged balding doctors that drive them. There is nothing spectacular about them, well except the price.

To once again try and keep this thread on topic; the Corvette is exactly why I own a CSRT. I don't follow the crowd; I drive something different- a Turbo-MOPAR, which I thought was the purpose of this site. I don't even notice Corvettes when I'm driving, they are common and boring. The CSRT is not; it is different, original, and certainly not common- a big PRO in my book.

No I dont work for GM. And I am a turbo Mopar enthusiast. Member of two clubs and a moderator of this site. That doesn't force me to be ignorant of other performance vehicles.

Just because I like do like cars that Chrysler has built doesn't mean i have to like what they are building now. Personally the only thing they are building right now that kinda excites me is the Challenger.

It's easy to be a cheerleader for a vehicle like the Caliber when you are blind to what other manufacturers are producing.

sherm1123
09-07-2008, 11:02 PM
No I dont work for GM. And I am a turbo Mopar enthusiast. Member of two clubs and a moderator of this site. That doesn't force me to be ignorant of other performance vehicles.

Just because I like do like cars that Chrysler has built doesn't mean i have to like what they are building now. Personally the only thing they are building right now that kinda excites me is the Challenger.

It's easy to be a cheerleader for a vehicle like the Caliber when you are blind to what other manufacturers are producing.

It is interesting that you are a moderator. On most of the forums I frequent, people would be banned for posting off topic, "trolling", and inflammatory posts such as the ones I frequently see from you. I guess when its your sandbox you can throw the sand however you feel.

PRO for owning CSRT- great forums available with moderators who actually like the cars that their site profess to support.

contraption22
09-07-2008, 11:21 PM
It is interesting that you are a moderator. On most of the forums I frequent, people would be banned for posting off topic, "trolling", and inflammatory posts such as the ones I frequently see from you. I guess when its your sandbox you can throw the sand however you feel.

PRO for owning CSRT- great forums available with moderators who actually like the cars that their site profess to support.

I have done nothing that could be considered trolling, inflamatory or even off topic.

I don't have to like the Caliber to love Turbo Mopars. But part of my job as a moderator is controlling the flow of misinformation. When it happens, I like to step in and correct things so that the readers of this forum are not bombarded with half-truths and all-out BS like over at SRTforums.

sherm1123
09-08-2008, 12:12 AM
I have done nothing that could be considered trolling, inflamatory or even off topic.

I don't have to like the Caliber to love Turbo Mopars. But part of my job as a moderator is controlling the flow of misinformation. When it happens, I like to step in and correct things so that the readers of this forum are not bombarded with half-truths and all-out BS like over at SRTforums.

So what was the topic of this thread?

The last time I checked the CSRT IS a Turbo MOPAR! So which Turbo MOPAR's are acceptable on this site? So as moderator its okay to slam and put down the CSRT; how about the Shelby Z- is it a good or a bad Turbo MOPAR? Is it in your love or your hate column?

So posting a review of the wonders of the Cobalt SS on a thread designated for CSRT owners to post their Pros and Cons is how you "control the flow of misinformation" and its not off topic?

So exactly what "misinformation" was posted in this thread that you deemed necessary to correct with the wonders of the Cobalt SS and Corvette?

This is just my opinion, and since I'm not the moderator, I am aware that my opinion doesn't matter- but wouldn't a better way of moderating be to not step in to threads that you have no interest in- remember you don't like the CSRT's- and let the thread provide the information that the original poster requested?

The Pope
09-08-2008, 02:07 AM

The last time I checked the CSRT IS a Turbo MOPAR! So which Turbo MOPAR's are acceptable on this site? So as moderator its okay to slam and put down the CSRT; how about the Shelby Z- is it a good or a bad Turbo MOPAR? Is it in your love or your hate column?

So posting a review of the wonders of the Cobalt SS on a thread designated for CSRT owners to post their Pros and Cons is how you "control the flow of misinformation" and its not off topic?

So exactly what "misinformation" was posted in this thread that you deemed necessary to correct with the wonders of the Cobalt SS and Corvette?

This is just my opinion, and since I'm not the moderator, I am aware that my opinion doesn't matter- but wouldn't a better way of moderating be to not step in to threads that you have no interest in- remember you don't like the CSRT's- and let the thread provide the information that the original poster requested?

In this forum misinformation is what ever the mod deams true regardless of truth. The same guy believes the NSRT's can't run 13s stock as he couldn't get his to go that fast. So anyone running 13s with a stocker is clearly a liar, so you can imagine how many of them are out there. Then on a TM forum he is pushing to have people look at the new Turbo's from Masda and Chevy, trying to get intrest away from new TMs.

This kind of thing is to be expected here.

On the CSRT, it is a really nice car. BUT it is not a Neon / Cobalt / Masda 3 type of car. It is made to go after GT PT customers as during the design the PT has done a lot better than the Neons in sales. People want a car that is more user friendly like an SUV. Go drive a 5 speed GT PT and then go drive a CSRT. Open the thing up and look at the inside and how it was laid out. Sit in it and get an idea of seat positions. The CSRT is basically Dodges answer to the GT PT, which was a great idea based off of sales. Problem is Dodge no longer has the "traditonal" sporty compact. Like the GT PT the CSRT is more of a cross over vehical. This is what brings out the haters real fast. The NSRT is a pile when you talk quality. The whole thing just screams cheap. But like the GLH's the car fit in it's place in the world. The same people that love the GT PT's will love the CSRT. 3 different PTs have gone through my family and the CSRT is just a Dodge version. PT was never mean enough looking, the CSRT adds sharpness. I have 2 big complaints with the CSRT after driving them. First, what clown decided to yank the posi. Last, in a great comuter for hauling people, fast, where is the auto trans option.

So buy it, drive it and love it. But remember where not to talk about it or the mod will try to get you into that Mazda he likes better :thumb:

contraption22
09-08-2008, 08:38 AM

The CSRT owners and cars are certainly welcome for discussion here as they are turbo mopars. I have no problem with anybody liking them. Currently that and the soon-to-be discontinued PT GT's are the only Turbo Mopars in production.

The misinformation I had originally intended to refute was "The CSRT only sits a couple inches higher than the NSRT and handles much, much better as many of you saw at SDAC." That was simply not true. I know. I was there.

Here is another gem "NASCAR is putting the CSRT into the same "sports car" category as the corvette which has a similar top speed of the corvette." It's debatable wether or not the Caliber is a car, let alone a "Sports Car". That asside, 160mph and 180mph are not similar top speeds, by any stretch.

As stated earlier. My mention of the Cobalt and the MS3 were responses to the orignal query, pros and cons of a Caliber purchase. One of the cons was that you can get better peformance for the same or less money if you shop around.

Let me also reference my very first statement in this thread "The only cons I can see are purely subjective. If you like the vehicle and don't mind the price, then it should be a fun vehicle for you."

The rest of my posts were simply bickering with you.

contraption22
09-08-2008, 08:46 AM
In this forum misinformation is what ever the mod deams true regardless of truth. The same guy believes the NSRT's can't run 13s stock as he couldn't get his to go that fast. So anyone running 13s with a stocker is clearly a liar, so you can imagine how many of them are out there. Then on a TM forum he is pushing to have people look at the new Turbo's from Masda and Chevy, trying to get intrest away from new TMs.

Im not sure what you mean about NSRT-4's not being capable of 13 sec times. I have witnessed several stock and nearly stock cars hitting those times.

You must admit, you have an uphill battle when convicing the community of any of your outragous claims starting with the infamous 150mph stock Shelby Charger of years ago.

And I am not pushing anybody to buy or not buy anything. You have to buy what you like and be dammed what other people think. My opinion is my opinion, and I am not going to keep it to myself JUST because I am a moderator.

cordes
09-08-2008, 12:54 PM

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/715/pot_calls_kettle_black.jpg

Wow. Thankfully I found this pic when I typed hypocrisy into Google. Talk about saving me 1000 words.

Note that I think we all laugh a lot harder when you stick to telling outrageous lies, or make ridiculous claims. I just shook my head while chuckling to myself when I read that post. Better luck next time.

sherm1123
09-08-2008, 03:15 PM
The misinformation I had originally intended to refute was "The CSRT only sits a couple inches higher than the NSRT and handles much, much better as many of you saw at SDAC." That was simply not true. I know. I was there.

There were several posts from people who were at SDAC that saw how well the CSRT handled at SDAC and commented on it. I did not mean to put words into their mouths as I was not there. If your opinion is that it did NOT handle well at SDAC, then I will certainly allow you to give your opinion on that bit of "misinformation".

On the other hand, the only two posters on this thread that have owned both the NSRT and CSRT- James/Cindy and myself- have posted and agree that the stock CSRT DOES handle better than the stock NSRT. I guess the readers can choose which opinion has more validity and which is "misinformation".

contraption22
09-08-2008, 03:24 PM
There were several posts from people who were at SDAC that saw how well the CSRT handled at SDAC and commented on it. I did not mean to put words into their mouths as I was not there. If your opinion is that it did NOT handle well at SDAC, then I will certainly allow you to give your opinion on that bit of "misinformation".

On the other hand, the only two posters on this thread that have owned both the NSRT and CSRT- James/Cindy and myself- have posted and agree that the stock CSRT DOES handle better than the stock NSRT. I guess the readers can choose which opinion has more validity and which is "misinformation".

Im saying this.... again... and them I am done.

The Caliber we all saw at SDAC on the road course was a modified test mule with suspension, brake and tire upgrades. I even remarked more than once how impressed I was with this particular Caliber. BUT!!! This was NOT a showroom stock vehicle. Anybody expecting that kind of performance from a Caliber when driving it off the dealer's lot will be greatly dissapointed.

Feel free to continue to argue. I'm done.

sherm1123
09-08-2008, 03:26 PM
As stated earlier. My mention of the Cobalt and the MS3 were responses to the orignal query, pros and cons of a Caliber purchase. One of the cons was that you can get better peformance for the same or less money if you shop around.

In whose opinion? Is there some supreme court decision that stated the Cobalt and MS3 are better cars than the CSRT? I don't think so. You don't own one. You haven't driven one regularly. What makes your OPINION more valid than mine or anyone else’s? The poor original poster was very clear that he is going to buy a CSRT. He asked for current owners ONLY to reply with info on the CSRT. He did NOT ask for your opinion on why his decision to by a CSRT- a TM- is wrong and why he should buy a Chevy instead.

cordes
09-08-2008, 03:29 PM
In whose opinion? Is there some supreme court decision that stated the Cobalt and MS3 are better cars than the CSRT? I don't think so. You don't own one. You haven't driven one regularly. What makes your OPINION more valid than mine or anyone else’s? The poor original poster was very clear that he is going to buy a CSRT. He asked for current owners ONLY to reply with info on the CSRT. He did NOT ask for your opinion on why his decision to by a CSRT- a TM- is wrong and why he should buy a Chevy instead.

I think the fact that there might be other vehicles out there which cost less and offer more is a very valid con to purchasing something.

contraption22
09-08-2008, 03:34 PM

It's just an opinion. People will have them from time to time. Sometimes they won't even match yours. It's a horrible world, isn't it?

sherm1123
09-08-2008, 04:41 PM
It's just an opinion. People will have them from time to time. Sometimes they won't even match yours. It's a horrible world, isn't it?

Maybe next time you can keep yours to yourself when its not asked for, I certainly try to.

sherm1123
09-08-2008, 04:50 PM
I think the fact that there might be other vehicles out there which cost less and offer more is a very valid con to purchasing something.

If it is a "fact" or if that "opinion" is asked for then by all means give your opinion. If the posting was titled "Should I buy a CSRT or a Cobalt?" then the post would have been okay. I don't believe it is a "fact" that the Cobalt or MS3 cost less or offer better performance than the CRT. That's my opinion. My opinion about CSRT ownership WAS asked for. Opinions on why the original poster is wrong to be buying a CSRT and why he should buy a Chevy instead were not.

cordes
09-08-2008, 04:53 PM
If it is a "fact" or if that "opinion" is asked for then by all means give your opinion. If the posting was titled "Should I buy a CSRT or a Cobalt?" then the post would have been okay. I don't believe it is a "fact" that the Cobalt or MS3 cost less or offer better performance than the CRT. That's my opinion. My opinion about CSRT ownership WAS asked for. Opinions on why the original poster is wrong to be buying a CSRT and why he should buy a Chevy instead were not.

The OP enthusiastically thanked everyone for sharing their opinions in post number 18. I don't see why you are taking such offense to helpful suggestions and the giving of opinions when he doesn't.

cordes
09-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Well nobody asked you for your opnion on my opinons, but nothing is holding you back.

Here's a suggestion. Make a new thread. Subject line: Pros of my Caliber purcahse. I promise not to post in it.

There certainly won't be any cons posted up on there.

Dodge Aries K
09-08-2008, 07:36 PM
As someone who saw first hand what was happening on the assmebly line, I'd NEVER buy one of those cars... and that has nothing to do with handling or performance. So many things were botched together in that factory it was sick. I'm glad I got rid of my Caliturd after taking a self guided tour over by the trim/chassis side of the place one day when I was bored.

The Pope
09-08-2008, 09:27 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/715/pot_calls_kettle_black.jpg

Wow. Thankfully I found this pic when I typed hypocrisy into Google. Talk about saving me 1000 words.

Note that I think we all laugh a lot harder when you stick to telling outrageous lies, or make ridiculous claims. I just shook my head while chuckling to myself when I read that post. Better luck next time.

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f39/105610-12-second-srt-4-a-4.html#post858282

Yup outragous lie, but wait a minute doesn't every NSRT NEED slicks with a stage 1 and an MP exhaust to run 13s? He can't get a NSRT out of the 14s with mods on street tires and you laugh at me? O wait a minute, I didn't use my words though huh, I showed you his words. However if I paid the money and the cars ran 14s I think I would be pretty unhappy with the SRTs. Maybe even enough to bad mouth them for years, maybe even doctor BS up to save people from making the SRT 4 mistake. But the MPH tells the tale, 103 and 14s? He just can't drive huh :thumb:

contraption22
09-08-2008, 09:51 PM
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f39/105610-12-second-srt-4-a-4.html#post858282

Yup outragous lie, but wait a minute doesn't every NSRT NEED slicks with a stage 1 and an MP exhaust to run 13s? He can't get a NSRT out of the 14s with mods on street tires and you laugh at me? O wait a minute, I didn't use my words though huh, I showed you his words. However if I paid the money and the cars ran 14s I think I would be pretty unhappy with the SRTs. Maybe even enough to bad mouth them for years, maybe even doctor BS up to save people from making the SRT 4 mistake. But the MPH tells the tale, 103 and 14s? He just can't drive huh :thumb:

Alot has changed since 2005. Some things haven't.

ScottD
09-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Hey Billy. These are my thoughts on the new car purchase.

- The Kicker system in my Neon SRT-4 wasn't worth the money. It sounds ok, but I think aftermarket stuff sounds better. Not to mention the Kicker system in the CSRT-4, the box attaches to the back seat, taking up a bit of trunk room.

- You mentioned silver is boring, but let me tell you silver is the easiest paint color to take care of. Having owned a couple of silver cars, silver paint stays cleaner looking longer and is much easier to touch up and buff scratches out of. Something to think about if you're planning to keep the car a long time.

- Have you checked what insurance would be? Insurance on my SRT-4 is pretty high and I have it insured as a pleasure vehicle and I'm an old man compared to you.

- I forgot to let you drive my SRT-4 at Troy's, if you want to take it for a spin at some point let me know. I suggest you drive both a Neon SRT-4 and Caliber SRT-4 before making a decision. Good used Neon SRT-4s can be found. You could also save yourself some serious $ and get a PT Cruiser GT turbo. Those are even easier to find in good shape and having priced one in the past I know the insurance rates on them are really good, in fact I think I read something recently that said the PT Cruiser is in the top 10 of cheapest vehicles to insure.

Hope this helps.

dodgeman87
09-11-2008, 09:52 PM
I "owned" a Caliber RT when the boss at work asked me what car I wanted for salkes calls. The power was not impressive but the car drove nice, it was quiet, and I liked the command seat feeling. I even took it to SDAC in Kansas and drag raced it. It was unimpressive, it would wind up to 6000rpm and the CVT would just hold it there. Heck I even charged the gas on the company credit card to get out there. It was a okay car, but I'm sure a Caliber SRT woul be much better.
Jim

TurbododgePirate
09-15-2008, 05:02 PM
I "owned" a Caliber RT when the boss at work asked me what car I wanted for salkes calls. The power was not impressive but the car drove nice, it was quiet, and I liked the command seat feeling. I even took it to SDAC in Kansas and drag raced it. It was unimpressive, it would wind up to 6000rpm and the CVT would just hold it there. Heck I even charged the gas on the company credit card to get out there. It was a okay car, but I'm sure a Caliber SRT woul be much better.
Jim

Yeah, I have failed to reply to this post because I have a RT not a SRT. I've been driving the wifes 07 RT for the last week. We purchased it because we wanted a good, reliable, inexpensive, AWD vehicle. We found the AWD RT caliber to meet all of our needs. It has great snow capabilities. It's comfortable (I've been in the back seat with a baby seat... not great, but not bad) Overall, I have 1 complaint about our AWD RT... Tires. The stock tires suck and aftermarket barely exists. Tires every 15K miles at $120-130 a piece suck suck suck.

I know Billy is asking about a SRT and that's another car completely.

20w/ashelby
09-30-2008, 12:49 AM
This discussion has been very rude from numerous posters. Not the normal kind of thing I see around here and stuff that will make me avoid this thread.

ampsyco
10-05-2008, 08:22 PM
i can say after driving and working on calibers daily, that they are cheap. VERY CHEAPLY MADE !!!!

i have driven 2 srt4 calibers and am not impressed. they are way too much money for the car that you get.

the safety of these cars is not good. if you saw how they were built you wouldnt buy one.

im a dodge guy bye trade. ive been a turbo dodge owner for about 15 years. i've owned them all, vnt's srt's, daytona's, lancers. and i would never buy a caliber.

i have over 20 years in the business of fixing cars, they are very poorly made.

sherm1123
10-06-2008, 01:47 AM
i can say after driving and working on calibers daily, that they are cheap. VERY CHEAPLY MADE !!!!

i have driven 2 srt4 calibers and am not impressed. they are way too much money for the car that you get.

the safety of these cars is not good. if you saw how they were built you wouldnt buy one.

im a dodge guy bye trade. ive been a turbo dodge owner for about 15 years. i've owned them all, vnt's srt's, daytona's, lancers. and i would never buy a caliber.

i have over 20 years in the business of fixing cars, they are very poorly made.

Interesting comments. So what in particular do you find poorly made? They have the highest (5 star) safety ratings; what do find to be unsafe? So are your comments based on the SRT4 or base Caliber? What exactly have you worked on in regards to the SRT4? So do you work at a dealership?

Dodge Aries K
10-06-2008, 01:49 AM
I worked at the factory and I definately agree with them being poorly made... and that's ANY of them, base/SXT/RT/SRT4 or the Cumpiss or Patrishat too.

ampsyco
10-06-2008, 06:48 AM
all of them are made poorly.

yes i work at a dodge dealer.

i've worked on all calibers, srt's also.

they get a 5 star rating but i wouldnt want to get in an accident in one. they fluff up those ratings, they test them in a controlled environment.

if anyone here owns one do yourself a favor and take off one of the door panels. there is no metal in the door. the regulator and all is attatched to the plastic door panel. there are no reinforcements in the door.

RoadWarrior222
10-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Heh, I find myself almost totally agreeing with Vigo, I'd have an MS3 before a CSRT, and whatever it is about that platform that makes a Caliber fundamentally wrong, makes the Patriot seem right, it's weird but there it is.

I can't help comparing the Caliber to a minivan either, 'coz that's what I've been driving when I've met them on the road, and when a 1st gen 3.0/3spd minivan can keep up with and handle with a Caliber R/T there's something seriously screwed with the Caliber. I've met 'em with the driver in serious hoonage mode and practically pushed them round cloverleaf on-ramps, the saddest thing of all being that it was sounding like it was punishing it's 17" tires, while my 205/70R14s hadn't even begun to grumble.

Sure there's upgrades in the CSRT, but when the base is easily whupped by a mostly stock 20+ year old design and the R/T can't get away from it, it's only really gonna take it to the standard that the larger motored base should have had it at anyway for it to be a competitive product.

Now the Neon was different, in base form it was fairly potent for it's target market, it was a little faster and handled better than similar offerings from other manufacturers. A 5 speed neon can easily get away from my minivan! So in SRT-4 form it's something special.

Anyway, it feels to me like it's going to be difficult to really make anything out of a CSRT, it's just too far behind where it should be in the beginning to be able to get ahead. Buy one, spend a bunch on it and turbo minivans are still gonna pick on you. Hell, I've got this crazy idea that I can break into 14s with my 3.0 N/A rebuild plans, you wanna be shown up by THAT??

sherm1123
10-06-2008, 11:13 AM
I worked at the factory and I definately agree with them being poorly made... and that's ANY of them, base/SXT/RT/SRT4 or the Cumpiss or Patrishat too.

So you "worked" at the factory and did poor work; maybe that is why you no longer work there. So what poor work, exactly, did you perform? So in your "digruntled ex-employee" opinion- all new MOPAR's are poorly made?

RoadWarrior222
10-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Heh, easy, all the parts get made by the lowest bidder don't forget.

contraption22
10-06-2008, 11:26 AM
So you "worked" at the factory and did poor work; maybe that is why you no longer work there. So what poor work, exactly, did you perform? So in your "digruntled ex-employee" opinion- all new MOPAR's are poorly made?

I was going to stay out of this new discussion because I had nothing to add... but when you start making up a back story to try and make a case... When did he say he was disgruntled or that he was fired?

A couple of things.

1. He worked at the factory. He didn't design, engineer and budget the car.

2. The most skilled assembly worker cannot make a higher quality product than the materials will allow. They aren't given the option to add some extra bracing here, or a few extra fasteners there to make a better product.

3. Even if he was an assembly line worker that did half-assed work, he would have been in the union. Being in an union is more important than being good at what you do when it comes to job security.

Perhaps.... just maybe... he has born personal witness to what reviewes and customers have noticed themselves.

sherm1123
10-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Heh, I find myself almost totally agreeing with Vigo, I'd have an MS3 before a CSRT, and whatever it is about that platform that makes a Caliber fundamentally wrong, makes the Patriot seem right, it's weird but there it is.

I can't help comparing the Caliber to a minivan either, 'coz that's what I've been driving when I've met them on the road, and when a 1st gen 3.0/3spd minivan can keep up with and handle with a Caliber R/T there's something seriously screwed with the Caliber. I've met 'em with the driver in serious hoonage mode and practically pushed them round cloverleaf on-ramps, the saddest thing of all being that it was sounding like it was punishing it's 17" tires, while my 205/70R14s hadn't even begun to grumble.

Sure there's upgrades in the CSRT, but when the base is easily whupped by a mostly stock 20+ year old design and the R/T can't get away from it, it's only really gonna take it to the standard that the larger motored base should have had it at anyway for it to be a competitive product.

Now the Neon was different, in base form it was fairly potent for it's target market, it was a little faster and handled better than similar offerings from other manufacturers. A 5 speed neon can easily get away from my minivan! So in SRT-4 form it's something special.

Anyway, it feels to me like it's going to be difficult to really make anything out of a CSRT, it's just too far behind where it should be in the beginning to be able to get ahead. Buy one, spend a bunch on it and turbo minivans are still gonna pick on you. Hell, I've got this crazy idea that I can break into 14s with my 3.0 N/A rebuild plans, you wanna be shown up by THAT??

Comparing the base Caliber to the CSRT is like comparing the GLHS to the base Omni. One has been factory prepared as a race car and the other is entry level transportation. If you are going to add something to the CSRT discussion, at least discuss the CSRT.

As far as the not be ing able to make anything out of a CSRT comment- they are already in the 11's with only bolt ons. What more were you expecting from a vehicle that has only been on street less than a year? Stock (high 13's), they are as fast as any FWD vehicle Dodge has ever built and modified they will continue to do well at the drag strip and on the road courses. No CSRT will have anything to worry about from a 14 second mini-van.

RoadWarrior222
10-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Gah BUT AN OMNI WAS ALSO NIMBLE STOCK.

contraption22
10-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Comparing the base Caliber to the CSRT is like comparing the GLHS to the base Omni. One has been factory prepared as a race car and the other is entry level transportation. If you are going to add something to the CSRT discussion, at least discuss the CSRT.

Wrong again.

The GLHS was not factory engineered as a race car. It was factory engineered as dirt cheap economy car with a powerful engine... Then it was shipped out to have some engine and suspension upgrdes.

Other than the engine suspension tuning, my '86 carb'd horizon had the exact same stuff as an '86 GLHS. The door handles are just as likely to break off in your hand. The window bushings are just as likely to wear out. The floors, hatches and doors are just as likely to rust.

sherm1123
10-06-2008, 11:47 AM
I was going to stay out of this new discussion because I had nothing to add... but when you start making up a back story to try and make a case... When did he say he was disgruntled or that he was fired?

A couple of things.

1. He worked at the factory. He didn't design, engineer and budget the car.

2. The most skilled assembly worker cannot make a higher quality product than the materials will allow. They aren't given the option to add some extra bracing here, or a few extra fasteners there to make a better product.

3. Even if he was an assembly line worker that did half-assed work, he would have been in the union. Being in an union is more important than being good at what you do when it comes to job security.

Perhaps.... just maybe... he has born personal witness to what reviewes and customers have noticed themselves.

Sorry, you are right, I'm just tired of people saying something is poorly made without giving any examples or reasons why they think that way... It reminds me of the kid in High School whose brother's Camero was always faster than everybody elses cars- the Camero that no one ever saw.

It is humourous though, that we are discussing the build quality of cars on a FWD Dodge site....

sherm1123
10-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Wrong again.

The GLHS was not factory engineered as a race car. It was factory engineered as dirt cheap economy car with a powerful engine... Then it was shipped out to have some engine and suspension upgrdes.

Other than the engine suspension tuning, my '86 carb'd horizon had the exact same stuff as an '86 GLHS. The door handles are just as likely to break off in your hand. The window bushings are just as likely to wear out. The floors, hatches and doors are just as likely to rust.

I beleive "being shipped out to have some engine and suspension upgrades" would be describing "factory prepared".

contraption22
10-06-2008, 11:56 AM
I beleive "being shipped out to have some engine and suspension upgrades" would be describing "factory prepared".

Shelby didn't do anything that Joe Schmoe couldn't do in his driveway. Many people have since.

Dodge Aries K
10-06-2008, 11:56 AM
sherm1123, I wasn't in the union and I busted my --- for those cheap jackasses... I was part of some stupid program, paid union dues for nothing (and had no choice in the matter), and got kicked out the door along with a lot of other people. Before you critisize me... better double check who the hell you're insulting. People can only do as good of work as they are allowed to do. How would you feel if you were at work, found a quality issue, reported it, and was told "They're all like that. The customer won't notice" or "We don't care if it's f---ed up... run the line anyway." It's a load of bull. Maybe that's why I think it's garbage... not that myself or other people did a bad job putting it together. You know how long they give people to do whatever it is to do? 43 seconds... if that even... and some people have a LOT of garbage they have to do... like the people that have to align the doors to the body... there are two of them and they have... FOURTY THREE SECONDS to get both doors on their side of the car aligned right. As you can probably guess... doesn't work out so well. But as long as Chrysler gets them out the door... that's all that matters.

And, as for a matter of fact... I think newer Chrysler's are so well made that I went and bought a 2003 Subaru Forester to drive around. Does that answer your question about how I think about other newer Chryslers? I still have my 1st gen Neons and my turbo Sundance... and I like those... but I refuse to support the Daimler and beyond company... especially after hearing how things changed when Daimler took over and seeing firsthand how much cheaper they became now.

contraption22
10-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Sorry, you are right, I'm just tired of people saying something is poorly made without giving any examples or reasons why they think that way... It reminds me of the kid in High School whose brother's Camero was always faster than everybody elses cars- the Camero that no one ever saw.

It is humourous though, that we are discussing the build quality of cars on a FWD Dodge site....

I agree with you there. Nobody has ever claimed lexus quality from their Mopars, but they aren't lexus priced either.

sherm1123
10-06-2008, 12:14 PM
sherm1123, I wasn't in the union and I busted my --- for those cheap jackasses... I was part of some stupid program, paid union dues for nothing (and had no choice in the matter), and got kicked out the door along with a lot of other people. Before you critisize me... better double check who the hell you're insulting. People can only do as good of work as they are allowed to do. How would you feel if you were at work, found a quality issue, reported it, and was told "They're all like that. The customer won't notice" or "We don't care if it's f---ed up... run the line anyway." It's a load of bull. Maybe that's why I think it's garbage... not that myself or other people did a bad job putting it together. You know how long they give people to do whatever it is to do? 43 seconds... if that even... and some people have a LOT of garbage they have to do... like the people that have to align the doors to the body... there are two of them and they have... FOURTY THREE SECONDS to get both doors on their side of the car aligned right. As you can probably guess... doesn't work out so well. But as long as Chrysler gets them out the door... that's all that matters.

And, as for a matter of fact... I think newer Chrysler's are so well made that I went and bought a 2003 Subaru Forester to drive around. Does that answer your question about how I think about other newer Chryslers? I still have my 1st gen Neons and my turbo Sundance... and I like those... but I refuse to support the Daimler and beyond company... especially after hearing how things changed when Daimler took over and seeing firsthand how much cheaper they became now.

Sorry to hear about the job. When did you leave? Is Daimler still involved with the ownership of the company? I guess my CSRT got built on a slow day, as I've had no issues with anything and I find the build quality to be quite nice, but my last car was a Neon. Good luck with the Subaru.

Dodge Aries K
10-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Our last day was in March of this year. Daimler is still sort of involved I guess... but things got worse when the new place took over. CHeapening of materials happened at every corner...

RoadWarrior222
10-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Actually, might not seem like it, but we've got some "golden era" cars for build quality, late 80s early 90s with Iaccoca still there he was pulling random cars off the line to compare to imports, pointing out where they didn't beat them and telling 'em to do better.

contraption22
10-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Sorry to hear about the job. When did you leave? Is Daimler still involved with the ownership of the company? I guess my CSRT got built on a slow day, as I've had no issues with anything and I find the build quality to be quite nice, but my last car was a Neon. Good luck with the Subaru.

I have to say, my friend has an '08 Patriot. Actually she is a member and regular poster here and while she has only had it a few months, the build quality does not seem to be lower than expected in it's price class.

sherm1123
10-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Actually, might not seem like it, but we've got some "golden era" cars for build quality, late 80s early 90s with Iaccoca still there he was pulling random cars off the line to compare to imports, pointing out where they didn't beat them and telling 'em to do better.

Sorry to disagree, although I love all TM's, build quality is not something I would ever associate them with. Wasn't Iaccoca's first car the K-Car that has been often used to decribe an example of horrible build quality and the base that all of the early TM's were designed from?

RoadWarrior222
10-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Early 80s he just had to get them out the door, late 80s quality picked up.

mario03SRT
10-06-2008, 02:35 PM
The only cons I can see are purely subjective. If you like the vehicle and don't mind the price, then it should be a fun vehicle for you.

I myself if I were shopping for a fun, small car would not be stopping at the Dodge Dealership when the Cobalt SS and Mazdaspeed3 are available. My brand loyalty is not strong enough to get me into a Caliber.

Theres a car with the total package!

mario03SRT
10-06-2008, 02:51 PM
I drove the R/T Cal at the Nats a couple of years ago and the quality is very cheap, particularly the interior which is all we saw doing the loop there. The car is but ugly and for the love of me cannot understand why.....why they made it?

Why not a 2 door Avenger with the 2.4 SRT powerplant?

The current engine is an open deck design..........:(

If you buy it plan on paying it off or you will get raped.

Check on your insurance also.........my 2003 SRT was 95 a month with good record and over 40.

My .02. Get the Mazda Speed 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI,
Marion...........22 years as a DOD quality engineer.

ampsyco
10-06-2008, 05:42 PM
they can tell you that the srt caliber is a race prepped car, but its not. its got heavy duty bolt ons at the assembly line. nothing that you couldnt bolt on in your back yard. all the srt's are that way.

the only car that chrysler makes that is built for race purposes is a viper. all the others are just assembly line cars.

the neon srt came with things that you couldnt get on any other neon. the caliber doesnt. you can get 4 wheel disc on all calibers, my gig, livin loud and so on. the only thing thats exclusive is the powertrain.

sherm1123
10-07-2008, 11:04 AM
they can tell you that the srt caliber is a race prepped car, but its not. its got heavy duty bolt ons at the assembly line. nothing that you couldnt bolt on in your back yard. all the srt's are that way.

the only car that chrysler makes that is built for race purposes is a viper. all the others are just assembly line cars.

the neon srt came with things that you couldnt get on any other neon. the caliber doesnt. you can get 4 wheel disc on all calibers, my gig, livin loud and so on. the only thing thats exclusive is the powertrain.

Sorry, you are very misinformed. The CSRT has MANY parts that are ONLY availble on the CSRT including the powertrain, brakes, and suspension. It is a race prepped car. Yes it is built in a factory... SRT=Street and Rcaing Technology

contraption22
10-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Sorry, you are very misinformed. The CSRT has MANY parts that are ONLY availble on the CSRT including the powertrain, brakes, and suspension. It is a race prepped car. Yes it is built in a factory... SRT=Street and Rcaing Technology

None of the SRT vehicles are race prepared. None of them. Not even the Viper. Just because it is fast, doesn't make it race prepared.

I think the only manufacturer that sells race prepared cars is Porsche. With the right documentation, and proof of intention to race the car, you can actually order a race prepared 911, with all safety equipment installed. Last I heard, Ford was working on a similar package for the Mustang.

Edit.... Actually Chrysler is working on a package for the Challenger too. But it won't be race prepped, it will be a rolling chassis without alot of the stuff you would rip out of a race car.

Please do not mistake the SRT monicker developed by marketing team to mean that these are race cars.

IROC Daytonas had the International Race of Champions attatched to them, but the real race cars were tube chassis, RWD, powered by carb'd small blocks.

My Neon SRT-4 like the Caliber SRT-4 is a economy car with an upgraded trans and engine and a few brake and chassis pieces borrowed from other DCX vehicle's parts bins.

RoadWarrior222
10-07-2008, 11:52 AM

Oh yes, like the front calipers you can get on a charger, the pads on a 300C, the rears on a Sebring, the front 24mm swaybar same as the the R/T, all very exclusive. Hey if we used enough parts off other models maybe we could like make a Dodge Dysentry into a "true" SRT.

sherm1123
10-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Oh yes, like the front calipers you can get on a charger, the pads on a 300C, the rears on a Sebring, the front 24mm swaybar same as the the R/T, all very exclusive. Hey if we used enough parts off other models maybe we could like make a Dodge Dysentry into a "true" SRT.

Yes, those parts are all from other vehicles, but my response is to the poster that stated that all of the performance parts available on the CSRT are available on the base Calibers- that is not the case.

sherm1123
10-07-2008, 12:38 PM
None of the SRT vehicles are race prepared. None of them. Not even the Viper. Just because it is fast, doesn't make it race prepared.

I think the only manufacturer that sells race prepared cars is Porsche. With the right documentation, and proof of intention to race the car, you can actually order a race prepared 911, with all safety equipment installed. Last I heard, Ford was working on a similar package for the Mustang.

Edit.... Actually Chrysler is working on a package for the Challenger too. But it won't be race prepped, it will be a rolling chassis without alot of the stuff you would rip out of a race car.

Please do not mistake the SRT monicker developed by marketing team to mean that these are race cars.

IROC Daytonas had the International Race of Champions attatched to them, but the real race cars were tube chassis, RWD, powered by carb'd small blocks.

My Neon SRT-4 like the Caliber SRT-4 is a economy car with an upgraded trans and engine and a few brake and chassis pieces borrowed from other DCX vehicle's parts bins.

I believe the Viper GT1 and GT2 would be considered race prepared. Also, not that this meets your definition of "race prepared", but many of the SRT vehicles are sold with Track Tested designations- meaning they were driven and tuned on a race track prior to being sold. These stickered cars bring a highter price and might be considered by some to be race prepared.

My definition of race prepared is a car that is designed to be raced and has had parts that are specifically added to the vehicle to help with racing. In my opinion all of the SRT vehicles meet that definition.

sherm1123
10-07-2008, 12:57 PM

I think we are just defining race prepared as different things. Not to put words in your mouth, but you seem to beleive that it means a non-street legal vehicle sold to be used ONLY on a race track. My idea of race prepared is different and is a vehicle that is prepared to be raced, but is not necessarily only built for that purpose- meaning many performance cars and definitely all of the SRT models.

contraption22
10-07-2008, 02:08 PM
I think we are just defining race prepared as different things. Not to put words in your mouth, but you seem to beleive that it means a non-street legal vehicle sold to be used ONLY on a race track. My idea of race prepared is different and is a vehicle that is prepared to be raced, but is not necessarily only built for that purpose- meaning many performance cars and definitely all of the SRT models.

I can't argue with your opnion. Everybody has them... yours is not really wrong... just not what those of us who actually have raced our cars see as "race prepared".

ampsyco
10-07-2008, 02:40 PM
the viper is advertised as race prepared because the engines are hand built.

not assembled by a machine.

TurbododgePirate
10-07-2008, 02:54 PM

OOH, I didn't know that! So I can put front calipers from a charger, pads from a 300C, and the rears from a sebring om my caiber R/T and it will be up to SRT specs? SWEET!

sherm1123
10-07-2008, 04:37 PM
I can't argue with your opnion. Everybody has them... yours is not really wrong... just not what those of us who actually have raced our cars see as "race prepared".

I've raced all of my cars except the current one, which will be raced once its out of warranty.

contraption22
10-07-2008, 05:07 PM
I've raced all of my cars except the current one, which will be raced once its out of warranty.

I don't mean going down to the local dragstrip for fun runs.

csxt665
10-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Heh... I just stumbled on this thread. I do work at a dealership, and I am the ONLY one at the shop who likes these new little economy cars. My GF has a Patriot, and I just picked up a Caliber SRT-4. It's fun to drive, quick for what it is, comfy (to me), and awesome on gas. It is just a Caliber with some nice upgrades from parts that are found on production cars currently being made, and I like that. It isn't the same as my Shadows, but it'll do just fine.

It isn't a "factory prepped race car" by any sense of the word, but it is quite capable for what it is. It's a new age of Mopar turbo technology, coupled with the ability to keep my beverages cold in the glove box while I drive until I am ready to consume them at my destination. Nice.

ampsyco
10-07-2008, 07:42 PM
i agree. they just carry a hefty price tag.

Heh... I just stumbled on this thread. I do work at a dealership, and I am the ONLY one at the shop who likes these new little economy cars. My GF has a Patriot, and I just picked up a Caliber SRT-4. It's fun to drive, quick for what it is, comfy (to me), and awesome on gas. It is just a Caliber with some nice upgrades from parts that are found on production cars currently being made, and I like that. It isn't the same as my Shadows, but it'll do just fine.

It isn't a "factory prepped race car" by any sense of the word, but it is quite capable for what it is. It's a new age of Mopar turbo technology, coupled with the ability to keep my beverages cold in the glove box while I drive until I am ready to consume them at my destination. Nice.

RoadWarrior222
10-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Sooooooo, did you figure how to re-route the intake through the glovebox yet? :D

contraption22
10-07-2008, 10:07 PM

Congrats on the new car John John! Briningin it to Cecil!?

csxt665
10-08-2008, 06:18 AM
I am gonna tell the GF to make sure she has that day off. And yes indeed! I want to see what this thing can do.

And, I do agree - they carry a hefty price tag. I managed to get one of the "cheaper" ones that didn't cost upwards of 30 grand. Mine was closer to the 20 grand area. Barely any extra options, and that's why I believe it sat on the dealer's lot for so long. Base model sound system, manual seats.. What *I* like in a "race car." I feel you're paying for that "SRT" name.. Kinda like paying for the "Shelby" name...

I think I'll see if having Schlitz or Yuengling in the glovebox is worth a few extra tenths in the quarter. :)

csxt665
10-08-2008, 06:19 AM
You bring your Neon. I'll bring the bananas and my Caliber.

Congrats on the new car John John! Briningin it to Cecil!?

contraption22
10-08-2008, 08:03 AM
You bring your Neon. I'll bring the bananas and my Caliber.

I'm bringing the Horizon... on the bottle. But if I blow it up in testing, I will bring the KneeYawn.

neonkitten63
10-08-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm bringing the Horizon... on the bottle. But if I blow it up in testing, I will bring the KneeYawn.

Well then dont blow it up! :) :thumb:

csxt665
10-08-2008, 05:00 PM

Oh SNAP!

Pat
10-09-2008, 12:05 PM

How do you know when to stop upping the jets then?

RoadWarrior222
10-09-2008, 12:10 PM
That's an easy one, use Bayesian probability theory to narrow down a range of likely settings based on temperature and altitude corrected track data for 5000 representative samples, then up it 25% 'coz you're slow.

ScottD
10-09-2008, 12:31 PM
OOOOOH Contraption on the juice. I am now officially excited for Cecil.

Pat
10-09-2008, 02:32 PM
OOOOOH Contraption on the juice. I am now officially excited for Cecil.

Huh Huh...Mike just made Scott say OOOOOHHHH!

ScottD
10-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I got so excited I purged my nitrous solenoid!

turbo84voyager
10-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Its unbelieveable how cheap many cars out there are made. This car just like many others out there especially in its class are "throw away cars". When you smash them up they tend to take a lot to fix them or they just get totalled. Hundai's were really known for this epecially when there is structural damage near the strut towers which appears to be a weak area. I have seen soo many of them that body shops cannot make 1 good car out of 2 Hundai's. I have worked on Calibers and I dont feel they are any worse than most of the other cars in its class. I am amazed every time i have a Civic up on a lift how it can last 50k let alone how long they tend to last. The only issue I I had with this car from the time it was introduced, and its only my personal opinion is the engine since it is a joint between Chrysler, Mitsubishi and Huandi. I would like to see how it handles up in the long run. I am just saying this from my experience working on Mitsubishi's and Hundai's. Some of them run for a long time wile others were just plain junk.