PDA

View Full Version : I think my car hates me

David Bohrer
03-20-2006, 01:31 PM
OK. I finally got my car to the exhaust shop and they buzzed up the IC pipe and attached the exhaust to the new turbo and then I gleefully went down and paid my $100 and drove the puppy home. BUT, on the way home a strange noise began and I couldn't put my finger on it. Stopped and inspected and found nothing out of the ordinary found when you are driving around with no front bumper. Just the ole fenderliner rubbing the tire and that was it, or at least, so I thought. Drove farther and the noise increase at the same rate as speed increased. :( I check the cluster and see that I am now not charging. Stop again and inspect and NPF.:mad: Now, it is starting to get dark and the lawnmower battery doesn't like headlights and the wideband is doing some cRAZY stuff so I limp it home.

So, I grab the best diagnostic tool I have, Icehouse, and proceed to check fuses,relays and finally power points and ground points. I found that all the fuses were good and so were the grounds but I still was not charging.... Install a new diagnostic tool, Icehouse #2, and proceed with checking the alternator. Which was missing the main charging lead. Well more specifically the wire "ring" was there but, the wire was most assuradly gone. I then check the harness and it showed evidence of a harsh quick removal. Which is amusing since I had installed it permenently. I then ponder my diagnostic tool and then check for the other end of the missing charge cable. Much thought is performed when I do not find the other end of the "missing" cable.:eek: At this point I am confused since I remember installing this cable.
I finish my diag tool off and try to think like the cable. I try to imagine my self as an unhappy cable and I wanted to see the world. How could I do it? And then it hit me. I could try to wrap myself AROUND the CV axle and yank myself free of my convoluted prison, I could see the world!!!

And that is exactly what my charge cable did. Any one care to place odds on the harness being damaged by this?