PDA

View Full Version : Larger IC install in Minivan and keeping A/C!

turbovanmanČ
03-20-2006, 02:55 AM
Well, after trying to find the time, I finally installed it this weekend, I spent aprox 12-15 hours doing this. Why so long you ask, well, I wanted to keep my a/c and boy, it better be worth it, lol.

I had to move the condensor over in front of the rad, had the a/c lines lengthed, put the IC where the condensor went, had to bend a/c lines, make a bracket to keep the upper IC hose from rubbing on the comp clutch. I went with SS, 2.5 inch lower, 3 inch upper and using a Tial 50mm BOV.

First road test was damn, holy sh*t, went from 16-19 psi and pulled hard so I backed it back down to 15 psi. Pulled well so retarded my cam timing 2 degs, pulled harder to put it back to straight up-was aprox 10 deg advanced. HOLY SH*T, at 15 psi this thing pulls so hard, I am laughing for joy. I can't wait to turn up the boost and run C16. I did a run then quickly popped the hood, the upper was stone cold, lower red hot, :thumb:

BTW, still not finished, I am installing a bigger aftermarket fan instead of the small stocker, need to charge up the a/c, wire up the fan to both relays, and looks like install the 180 deg thermostat, she's running a bit hot.

I will link to the pics for now then redo it later.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/Intercooler%20install%20pics/

Whorse
03-20-2006, 03:56 AM
Simon, your Van is hilarious. Inspiration to all of us wanting fast turbo vans indeed. Gotta say the SS looks terrific, and looks like some good ingenuity went into plumbing that. Nice work!

turbovanmanČ
03-20-2006, 04:13 AM
Thanks. Driving home, what a difference. Stoplight to stoplight is unreal, 5 psi instantly at light throttle, harder and 10psi. The power is so linear, its really cool. I think the BOV might be too strong, the turbo chatters at low boost. Hopefully, its adjustable.

Oh, I figured out how to polish it by a fluke. After I cut to the desired length, I deburred it then took it to the wire wheel on my bench grinder and whammo, it polished it right up!!!!!!!!!!!! so I did that to the whole pipe then used my polisher kit off tv, Flint/flick or whatever its called. I will do a better job later, :nod:

WOP'R
03-20-2006, 04:37 AM
lookn good :banaride:

Alberta_Daytona
03-20-2006, 05:34 AM
wow...that intercooler LOOKS incredibly small.
very nice job.

mech1nxh
03-20-2006, 07:32 AM
inspirational indeed......
nicely done, and a/c to boot!!!!

zshadow
03-20-2006, 11:04 AM
now i regret getting rid of my ac for the intercooler. besides the fact my cars black with black leather, in the summer that gets QUITE hot. A+ for design and fabbing up your own mounts to make it look nice. one question tho... what is that metal sheild? casing? which your air inlet pipe for the turbo is going through?

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8148/canoncamerapics0486zr.jpg

Whorse
03-20-2006, 11:16 AM
Haha that's where he cut the hood for his cold air intake. Looks like a turkey tray.

8valves
03-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Simon, your TiAL is not adjustable. It should have the 7 psi spring for our application, and it will nto release on my car until about 5 psi, then it'll still surge for a quick second, then release. Also, it sounds similar to compressor surge when it is operating, it's such a fast spurt of a release.

They are intended for extremely high boost applications, and usually mated with anti-surge comrpessor covers like on the GT series turbos to avoid low rpm surge conditions and to be able to take small amounts of surge from strong bov springs.

Aaron Miller

Darkwolf
03-20-2006, 11:56 AM
I have my doubts that the stock radiator will be able to handle that. Mine is just okay on the interstate with my crappy intercooler in front of it and the radiator moved over a hair blocking a row or two. Start up a long steep hill in high 80s or above and okay become inadequate. When I had my trans cooler aswell in front of the radiator it couldn't even keep up on flat ground at highway speeds. Going to be hard on it once you fire up the a/c on a 90 degree day.

turbovanmanČ
03-20-2006, 01:41 PM
now i regret getting rid of my ac for the intercooler. besides the fact my cars black with black leather, in the summer that gets QUITE hot. A+ for design and fabbing up your own mounts to make it look nice. one question tho... what is that metal sheild? casing? which your air inlet pipe for the turbo is going through?

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8148/canoncamerapics0486zr.jpg

Thats my cold air box, I notched out the hood and built it. Works awesome. Before, the air would pull on hot engine air and the intake pipe would be very hot, now after a run, its stone cold. Dropped 2/10's in the 1/4 with it.

I have my doubts that the stock radiator will be able to handle that. Mine is just okay on the interstate with my crappy intercooler in front of it and the radiator moved over a hair blocking a row or two. Start up a long steep hill in high 80s or above and okay become inadequate. When I had my trans cooler aswell in front of the radiator it couldn't even keep up on flat ground at highway speeds. Going to be hard on it once you fire up the a/c on a 90 degree day.

Well, we shall see, the old IC covered the rad and I never had issues. Driving home last night, the guage actually read colder than it does usually. I am also installing a much bigger, stronger fan. If that doesn't work, then I will get a custom rad built that fits in the stock spot, :thumb:

Darkwolf
03-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Well up where you live it may not get hot enough to be a problem :). Definitely one of the better installs I have seen with a/c. Playing around on www.summitracing.com in the past I have seen a few of their summit brand aluminum radiators that look like an easy fit for pretty cheap.

Clay
03-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Looks good Simon! So, I know where you got the pipe, but where did you get all the silicon pieces?

clay

STPVIPER
03-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Simon the IC looks awesome, the boost gain is even better. 12's shouldn't be a problem now, here's to the fastest Mini in van city!

turbovanmanČ
03-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Looks good Simon! So, I know where you got the pipe, but where did you get all the silicon pieces?

clay

The 2.5 inch stuff I got from T-Nation on here-cheap and came with the good clamps. I didn't know I was doing the 3 inch upper so all I ordered was 2.5 inch stuff. I got the 2.5-3 inch adapters, 3 inch connectors and 2.5 inch 90 deg silicone stuff at Mopac here in town. Cost me an arm and a leg but I needed it. Still have to buy some proper 3 inch clamps.

Clay, heres his ad-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=30199#post30199

Clay
03-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Cool! Now for my last question: did you weld a lip to the pipes to help keep from blowing the joints apart? Or is this necessary?

clay

turbovanmanČ
03-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Cool! Now for my last question: did you weld a lip to the pipes to help keep from blowing the joints apart? Or is this necessary?

clay

No lip, just put the hoses on dry and tightened the clamps down. Did this with my old setup also and never blew a hose off. The t-bar clamps spread the pressure out quite a bit. If you really feel the need, I would superglue the hose on but you better slide the pipe in quick before it sets. :thumb:

Stevien1
03-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Looks awesome Simon! That's weird how the advanced cam cost performance with the new intercooler....

If you use rusty exhaust pipe for intercooler tubing, the hose bites right on when the clamps are snugged. ;)

-Chuck James

turbovanmanČ
03-20-2006, 06:32 PM
Looks awesome Simon! That's weird how the advanced cam cost performance with the new intercooler....

-Chuck James

Well I guess the IC was blocking the flow so it was really laggy, thats why I advanced the cam timing. I have been driving around today and will have to bump it up a few degrees, say around 2, :nod:

johnl
03-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Very nice. I like the 2.5 lower and 3.0 upper combo.

I use the wire wheel so much, I get little stainless steel wires stuck in my clothes and then they needle stick me! Over the weekend my cousin had to pull one out of my pants; it was sticking me in the right cheek.

Try the 400* clear coat spray paint after the final polish on those pipes.

Turbulence
03-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Well, we shall see, the old IC covered the rad and I never had issues. Driving home last night, the guage actually read colder than it does usually. I am also installing a much bigger, stronger fan. If that doesn't work, then I will get a custom rad built that fits in the stock spot, :thumb:

I did the same thing (condenser in front of the rad). With a 180 stat, on mid 90* days the temp would swing from 1/4 to 3/4 and back again with the air on. On cooler days, air off, the temp would stay around or below 1/4. It never got close to overheating. Rad was a 2 year old double core (biggest stock one available).

Martin
90 Voyager TII
89 Horizon

darkredturbo
03-20-2006, 10:01 PM
May I see a pic of your notched hood, please?

Ian

turbovanmanČ
03-20-2006, 10:25 PM
May I see a pic of your notched hood, please?

Ian

Well, you did say please, :eyebrows:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/Imag0080.jpg

TurboBlue
03-20-2006, 10:25 PM
is that ic off the shelf or custom made ?

turbovanmanČ
03-20-2006, 10:28 PM
is that ic off the shelf or custom made ?

I bought it from Greedy, he had it custom made. If I need to get another one, I will make it longer, :thumb:

TurboBlue
03-20-2006, 10:38 PM
How does your cold air box deflect rain from the intake ? Got a picture of the box ?

turbovanmanČ
03-20-2006, 11:01 PM
How does your cold air box deflect rain from the intake ? Got a picture of the box ?

No rain gets in, if it does, just a tiny amount, nothing to worry about. Let me go take one and post it.

Ok, here ya go-

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/a7f59b17.jpg

cordes
03-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Very nice Simon. That van should be really moving this summer.

TurboBlue
03-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the pics. Great idea !

turbovanmanČ
03-21-2006, 01:32 PM
I think now tht I have cleaned up the engine, time to finish off the box, get rid of the duct tape and polish it up.

Also, driving it now is a dream, the midrange is unreal, and it pulls like a freight train to 6200 rpm. I can't stop grinning.

I know I brought this up before but I think I will wrap the upper hose, only the part that runs across the engine, just to stop it from heat soaking. I have done a blast, pulled over and felt the piping, stone cold at the IC but then warms up as it goes over the engine-thoughts?

glhs875
03-21-2006, 05:45 PM
I like the cold air induction, that's cool!:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
03-24-2006, 02:46 AM
Well, I have installed a 16inch fan, wired up both powers-a/c and coolant fan with diodes and so far so good. It still runs cooler than before, weird?

I have noticed though my EGT's are a few hundred degree's higher?

Frank
03-24-2006, 06:36 AM
You EGT's is probably a result of higher air density. With the air being cooler, the air is more dense and you now need more fuel.

Frank

Dave
03-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Good job Simon. :thumb: I can't see the pics right now, damn school computers, but I'll check 'em out as soon as I get home.

How high are your EGT's?

Also did you take out 2/10 off your 1/4 by adding the box, or the whole CAI setup itself??

turbovanmanČ
03-24-2006, 01:04 PM
Good job Simon. :thumb: I can't see the pics right now, damn school computers, but I'll check 'em out as soon as I get home.

How high are your EGT's?

Also did you take out 2/10 off your 1/4 by adding the box, or the whole CAI setup itself??

I had the air pipe there, then I cut the hood and made the box, thats when I saw the reduction.

I would agree Frank, usually around town and mid throttle, I was around 1300, now I am around 1500. Had to tow my trailer this morning, now its around 1500-1600 and she runs hot, doh! If I tow some more, going to have to install the 180 thermostat.

Greedy
03-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Nice work Simon that is a nice install.
My original plan was to mount the intercooler right beside the radiator but I was going to axe the AC.
I was very curious to see how you were going to do this and keep the AC .
Very well done!
I can't wait to see those E.T's !!!

Mike

turbovanmanČ
03-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks Mike, the IC works awesome. It took alot of time but totally worth it. The IC fits perfectly. If for some reason it gets damaged, I will got a longer one, :eyebrows:

TurboJerry
05-10-2006, 10:00 PM
So maybe you guys can help me..... How do I post pictures of my setup on here . I have 4 pics. It's not done, but gives a good ideal of how to get a 15" X 26" X 3.5" intercooler in there with A/C. Not trying to get into a "mine is bigger" war, but just trying to give ideals to anyone who cares. Install is awsome Turbovanman!

turbovanmanČ
05-11-2006, 01:12 AM
Thanks Jerry, :thumb:

You have to be a member here to post pics, $10 for the year or use www.photobucket.com like I did. After you load the pic, you will have 3 options below it, right click the last one then paste on here.

TurboJerry
05-11-2006, 03:35 AM
Thanks Simon! Well here they are
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/TurboJerry/th_DSC00229.jpg (http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/TurboJerry/DSC00229.jpg)
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/TurboJerry/th_DSC00228.jpg (http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/TurboJerry/DSC00228.jpg)
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/TurboJerry/th_DSC00227.jpg (http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/TurboJerry/DSC00227.jpg)
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/TurboJerry/th_DSC00226.jpg (http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/TurboJerry/DSC00226.jpg)

I used the 1990 / 92 thin condenser. Cut the hole square in the rad. support. there is fair room. The compressor / hoses are off a '94 van, as is the K-frame and cast comtrol arms. The cool part (no pun intended) is the fittings are already R-134 style.

turbovanmanČ
05-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Very nice, I thought about something like that but decided to go with the stocker looking setup, and I didn't want to take out the rad support around the latch like you did.

TurboJerry
05-13-2006, 04:46 AM
The rad. support is still plenty strong. I was actually nervous about putting the condenser in front of the rad. because the rad is so small. I'm courious how your cooling is with the A/C and hot weather. I'm just being paranoid probably.......

turbovanmanČ
05-13-2006, 01:10 PM
The rad. support is still plenty strong. I was actually nervous about putting the condenser in front of the rad. because the rad is so small. I'm courious how your cooling is with the A/C and hot weather. I'm just being paranoid probably.......

We've had a few mid 15 deg C days and had to run the a/c, its ice cold and my van runs the same, temp wise than if its turned off.

turbovanmanČ
05-24-2006, 04:36 PM

Ok, update on this, the a/c works awesome BUT in traffic, stop and go, the temp guage sits in the middle and I let it idle for 40 mins keeping my dog cool, I popped the safety valve in the reciever/dryer. Soooooo, a do need another rad but if I just watch my temp guage, its fine.

TurboJerry
06-01-2006, 04:48 AM
Thanks for the info! Which rad are you using currently? I happened to noticed a 3 row V-6 model at the Junk yard a while back. I may change to that style if there's a problem. Those !@^%$&*#$ relief valves! Letting precious refrigerant into the atmosphere damaging our ever changing ozone layer......... Remindes me of the cloged drier story. That high side relief was LOUD! hehehe......

turbovanmanČ
06-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the info! Which rad are you using currently? I happened to noticed a 3 row V-6 model at the Junk yard a while back. I may change to that style if there's a problem. Those !@^%$&*#$ relief valves! Letting precious refrigerant into the atmosphere damaging our ever changing ozone layer......... Remindes me of the cloged drier story. That high side relief was LOUD! hehehe......

Using an aftermarket stocker. I am considering an aluminum one from Summit but not going to happen this year, my budget is blown out the window. Let me know about the 3 row V6 one.
BTW, I know what you mean, I was working on a Corvette years ago and the relief valve let go, I jumped 2 feet off the ground, :o

Lee'sdaytona
08-20-2006, 11:44 PM
Nice work Simon. For the people who were saying their vans run a bit hot with a stock setup, mine has a newer radiator, installed before I bought it, and it runs on the highway at only 1/4 of the way up....a bit cold IMO, but in traffic, its right in the middle.
-Lee

turbovanmanČ
08-21-2006, 02:03 AM
Around town, it just sits above the left marks, on the highway, on the marks. Around town with the a/c on, same as but but she can get hot so I have to turn the a/c off if I am idling for along time when the temp is in the mid to high 20's. I will get a new rad this winter. I saw a nice looking aluminum rad on Ebay for a 90's Accord, around a $100 so I need to do some measuring.