PDA

View Full Version : What event to go to if you were only to go to one?

dds78910
08-28-2008, 02:42 PM
I live on the west coast and really want to check out one of the events in a year or 2. It seems most of the events I read about here are on the east coast. I want your opinion of which event is the best to go to, I want to be able to meet as much TM members as possible.

cordes
08-28-2008, 02:45 PM
SDAC hands down.

contraption22
08-28-2008, 02:51 PM
I'd say SDAC as well.

JamesL
08-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Depends on how far you are willing to go. Next year SDAC is in Cincy, not sure about the year after that. SDAC is always a great time. I know that Team Shelby is planning a Shelby Dodge event for Vegas next year.
http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32697&st=0&p=506614&#entry506614
You just need to decide what your time and budget will allow.

bradp
08-28-2008, 04:22 PM
You can go over to the SOCAL meetings they have once a month. I went last year and had a great time.

inmyshadow
08-28-2008, 05:34 PM
I'd goto the Cecil drag days. SDAC is way overrated and not worth the drive anymore. The two I went to was boring. I had more fun on the drive to/from SDAC then I did at the event. I think it had to do mostly with and elitist turbododge attuides and turbododge overload.

Cecil still has the elitist attitude, just not as bad.

mcsvt
08-28-2008, 08:36 PM
SDAC, not sure where else you'll meet so many enthusiastic people.

R/T
08-29-2008, 12:32 AM
I'd goto the Cecil drag days. SDAC is way overrated and not worth the drive anymore. The two I went to was boring. I had more fun on the drive to/from SDAC then I did at the event. I think it had to do mostly with and elitist turbododge attuides and turbododge overload.

Cecil still has the elitist attitude, just not as bad.

:confused: :faint: :yuck:

Are you *sure* you were at the right place??? :confused2:

Clay
08-29-2008, 06:47 AM
:confused: :faint: :yuck:

Are you *sure* you were at the right place??? :confused2:

I think he must have been hanging out with someone else!!!!!!!

bradp
08-29-2008, 07:40 AM
No doubt, everyone is as friendly (or drunk) as can be. No elitists at any I've been to.

Clay
08-29-2008, 07:48 AM
He must have been hanging out with the Zima sipping chicago boyz!

88_pacifica
08-29-2008, 08:00 AM
No doubt, everyone is as friendly (or drunk) as can be. No elitists at any I've been to.

No elitists?? Was ist mit Ihrem Fuehrer? :D :thumb:

superbleu
08-29-2008, 08:04 AM
SDAC No question..

sdac guy
08-29-2008, 08:24 AM

Cecil still has the elitist attitude, just not as bad.I'm sorry you had such a bad time there. Which ones did you attend?

Barry

cordes
08-29-2008, 11:34 AM
He must have been hanging out with the Zima sipping chicago boyz!

No way!

inmyshadow
08-29-2008, 04:04 PM
I went to SDAC 1997 and 1998.

The reason I say elitists is because of the attitudes. You try to ask a few questions about a person's setup and all you get is cold shoulder. Or if you aren't running 12s or faster, you ain't worth the trouble. Or you don't drive a Shelby, not interested.

I've meet some good people within SDAC. But most of the people make it not worth going to events. I probably won't goto to another Cecil after the attitudes from several people. Import shows I goto have less attitude then turbododge owners.

I'm sorry you had such a bad time there. Which ones did you attend?

Barry

cordes
08-29-2008, 04:06 PM

The reason I say elitists is because of the attitudes. You try to ask a few questions about a person's setup and all you get is cold shoulder. Or if you aren't running 12s or faster, you ain't worth the trouble. Or you don't drive a Shelby, not interested.

I've meet some good people within SDAC. But most of the people make it not worth going to events. I probably won't goto to another Cecil after the attitudes from several people. Import shows I goto have less attitude then turbododge owners.

I would encourage you to check out an event again if at all possible. Your experience couldn't be farther from what I have seen the last two years.

sdac guy
08-29-2008, 04:16 PM

I've meet some good people within SDAC. But most of the people make it not worth going to events. I probably won't goto to another Cecil after the attitudes from several people. Import shows I goto have less attitude then turbododge owners.That's the reason I asked which ones. Even I had that type of experience at some of the early events. I was never put off by it, but when someone pointed it out to me I did recognize that it was there (it was much worse back in 1993-95).

But you know the club is under new management since then, and I have no tolerance for that elitist crap. :D Come on back some time, you will be surprised at the difference.

Barry

JamesL
08-29-2008, 05:22 PM
I would encourage you to check out an event again if at all possible. Your experience couldn't be farther from what I have seen the last two years.

+1 its a good time and there are plenty of good people. Heck its been ten years for you.

GLHS592
08-29-2008, 06:13 PM
I can see where James D. is coming from. I visited the SDAC tent at the Mopar Nats in 1994-1996. I might as well have been invisible. They treated me like I wasn't worthy to be within 50 feet of them. I got my free SDAC newsletters and walked off. I've had tons of fun at the SDAC convetions I've attended (12, 13, & 15) even though I think there is way too much drinking going on.

inmyshadow
08-29-2008, 06:28 PM
I really don't see myself going again. One reason I never went back. SDAC took a poll on where to run the next SDAC event. Majority of the club voted on the east coast. Then they decided Il was better. I wasn't happy with this and driving 15 plus hours. SDAC 9 ended up getting canceled because of a Brittney spears concert and heavy rain.

Then there is no more road racing classes. That was mainly the reason I went before. I can autocross at home since I wouldn't bring my autocross car to SDAC. Since the club is heavily based in drag racing, that seems to be the only event to run. I get bored after making a few passes. My convertible is no where close to car show worthiness after getting back into two years ago. Then there is not being a member.

I did enjoy the SDAC 7 Viper Factory tour. That was pretty cool and fun. Plus I was able to visit my relatives in Lawton MI that year. My highlights of SDAC 8 was the parade lap on the brickyard and the IRP road course.

Alot things done with SDAC in the past really turned me off to being a member of a national club. I also agree with the drinking.

If I can get my shadow painted before next year's SDAC. If I can get the time off. I might be presuaded. Where is my cheer leader marcus on this one. If he reads this, I'm sure he will keep me honest and on the straight.

contraption22
08-29-2008, 07:01 PM
I really don't see myself going again. One reason I never went back. SDAC took a poll on where to run the next SDAC event. Majority of the club voted on the east coast. Then they decided Il was better. I wasn't happy with this and driving 15 plus hours. SDAC 9 ended up getting canceled because of a Brittney spears concert and heavy rain.

Then there is no more road racing classes. That was mainly the reason I went before. I can autocross at home since I wouldn't bring my autocross car to SDAC. Since the club is heavily based in drag racing, that seems to be the only event to run. I get bored after making a few passes. My convertible is no where close to car show worthiness after getting back into two years ago. Then there is not being a member.

I did enjoy the SDAC 7 Viper Factory tour. That was pretty cool and fun. Plus I was able to visit my relatives in Lawton MI that year. My highlights of SDAC 8 was the parade lap on the brickyard and the IRP road course.

Alot things done with SDAC in the past really turned me off to being a member of a national club. I also agree with the drinking.

If I can get my shadow painted before next year's SDAC. If I can get the time off. I might be presuaded. Where is my cheer leader marcus on this one. If he reads this, I'm sure he will keep me honest and on the straight.

All i can say is you should give it another chance after 10 years. The people could not be friendlier. I never got the cold shoulder from REAL shelby owners, even when I only bring my Neon, which is twice removed. And you really missed out this year as there was both a road course driving school and a Viper plant tour.

I think people really over-exadurate the drinking. Yes it happens, but I have never really seen it get out of control.

slasky
08-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Some people drink and some don't. SDAC is a great time either way. I went to SDAC 15 by myself and met up with Frank and brian, who I never met before. I had a blast and everyone was great and extremely friendly. I found the same with SDAC 17 and 18. Barry and Craig have been doing an outstanding job with the club.

sdac guy
08-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Aw shucks ... :o

Barry

ForzaV12
08-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Holy Crap! Did I really just hear the word elitist used in the context of Turbo Dodges? Sweet Jesus, Mary and Joseph! Time to buy a lotto ticket while I look out my window for the flying pigs.
TD bozos have been called many things, but elitist???

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

GLHS592
08-29-2008, 10:31 PM
I think people really over-exadurate the drinking. Yes it happens, but I have never really seen it get out of control.

It made me pretty nervous watching some of those guys doing burnouts at SDAC-15 where all those nice cars were parked. Yes, I saw guys that had more than a few beers in them doing burnouts. That's why my car stayed on the trailer in the other parking lot. I'd hate to have to kill a drunk that just ran all over my Shelby Charger. I think the club needs to take a look at how crazy things get before a fight, arrest, lawsuit, or even a death occurs.

Frank
08-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Holy Crap! Did I really just hear the word elitist used in the context of Turbo Dodges? Sweet Jesus, Mary and Joseph! Time to buy a lotto ticket while I look out my window for the flying pigs.
TD bozos have been called many things, but elitist???

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

HAHAHAHA!!!!

glhturbo1985
08-29-2008, 10:44 PM
I've only been to 17 & 18. (Really only 18 for the whole experience) I've never gotten the cold shoulder from anyone. If you ask, they'll talk. (probably too much! lol) I had close to the best time of my life at SDAC (aside from losing my virginity, lol!). I would say that the few standing at 3 am still drinking did some things that my a$$hole pucker (close calls) but nothing happened. The experience was a blast and I'm going to try to attend every last one no matter where the location!

bradp
08-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Hey Dan,

You fit right in with us elitist's...:lol:

GLHSKEN
08-30-2008, 09:28 AM

WOW!!! basing it on 10 year old data... Times change...

inmyshadow
08-30-2008, 09:38 AM
based on what I experienced at Cecil two years, not much.

One of the posters in this thread is one of the elitist that snubbed me be at Cecil when I tried to ask a few questions.

Some of that attitudes I've seen, you would think people own 1000hp Supras, not beat out turbododges.

WOW!!! basing it on 10 year old data... Times change...

pokadot1
08-30-2008, 10:52 AM
I know the cecil event has changed over the years but It has for some reason or another allways been the Shelby Dodge East coast "best" event.
When I started to "run" this race many years ago. I would "rent" the track and It was run with the idea that Drag racers should win "some" money and 1 or 2 should get alot of money for a front wheel drive show. It was hard to make the event cover costs. so it became a "test and tune invasion" somewhat less fun event, not enough track time. But the event keeps comming back each year. with or without me.
Over the years the "who who's" of our Turbo world have come to a "cecil" event and run there best time's ever. The great fall air and a track that is well prepaired ='s a great event.
I hope it continues, even in a "invasion" way

If it was me and I had to come a long way for one event, it would be SDAC natl. event. I don't like the parking lot burn outs and some of the other "wrong" things, but people will be people if you don't like something at SDAC event move 100 feet and there will be other people doing something interesting, talking, fixing a car, or??? Barry has made the SDAC natl events the best. If you don't leave happy, you did not try hard enough.

Cliff Sebring
1986 GLHS owner

BadAssPerformance
08-30-2008, 12:23 PM
If i could only go to one event? SDAC! For sure! :thumb:

So your last one was 8? Things have changed a ton since then!

I went on the Viper Tour at 7 and this year at 18... cool both times! :thumb:

The Cinci crew put on a good show at 15, I cannot wait till 19! :thumb: I HIGHLY recommend you give SDAC another chance :thumb:

I have no idea who you are saying acts elitist and really dont think it matters... everyone finds someone who rubs them the wrong way, or you may have caught someone on a bad day or at a bad time?

I personally try to be as social as I can but sometimes it just doesnt work out, like at the Nats this year in teh pits, the Z wasnt running well, and as folks stopped by I tried to put on a smile and promote TM abd SDAC, but it is hard when your mind is elsewhere...

I can see where James D. is coming from. I visited the SDAC tent at the Mopar Nats in 1994-1996. I might as well have been invisible. They treated me like I wasn't worthy to be within 50 feet of them. I got my free SDAC newsletters and walked off. I've had tons of fun at the SDAC convetions I've attended (12, 13, & 15) even though I think there is way too much drinking going on.

The first Mopar Nats I ever went to and raced the Z at was 1996... I dont even remember if I found the SDAC tent that was so long ago!

Like was said before... things change in 10 years!

OK... Looking at the parking lot at SDAC-18, there are people scattered all over the place and I rememeber walking up to a dozen different conversations and getting sucked in... I could imagine if one was shy they might have a hard time introducing themselves to new people, ....or if a bunch of people have been hanging out for a couple years, or 10 years, or even 20 years as some have, a newcomer could feel like an outsider... so maybe they should try to be more welcoming as well?

Who knows... all i know is it is the one place and one time a year when there are more Shelby Dodge and Turbo Mopar enthusiats than anywhere else on earth! :thumb::love:

contraption22
09-02-2008, 04:13 PM

One of the posters in this thread is one of the elitist that snubbed me be at Cecil when I tried to ask a few questions.

Some of that attitudes I've seen, you would think people own 1000hp Supras, not beat out turbododges.

Wow... i really am having a very hard time swallowing this. I have never met a friendlier and warm group of car enthusiasts other than turbo mopar guys. Before I even knew there was a turbo mopar following via the web back in the 90's, most of my dealings with car guys were corvette guys. There were certainly some snobs in the group, and it was an off-putting experience. But I have never felt that with this group.

ForzaV12
09-02-2008, 07:14 PM

Clapped out, discontinued Japanese sport coupes are now what we aspire to?

No way, not when we can own one of MaMopars finest creations-the TD in all of their various guises.

Maybe this "elitist" discovered a super secret cal that would work on all TDs and you didn't know the password, maybe he formulated a way to apply paint to all the flaky, faded and rusty rides that would only cost the owner a junkyard 568, or possibly this elitist invented a method to weave old Levis into the Shelby logo'd cloth missing on so many of our cars-this is some secret shite that not just anyone can be trusted with.

Seriously though, while I've never attended an SDAC, the socal crew that have ventured east for the events, have always had nothing but good things to say about the meets. Trust me, if the SDAC crew can warmly welcome these guys:D, I can't imagine any elitist attitudes. Give it another go, you'll probably enjoy yourself.

sdac guy
09-02-2008, 09:44 PM
I really don't see myself going again. One reason I never went back. SDAC took a poll on where to run the next SDAC event. Majority of the club voted on the east coast. Then they decided Il was better.
I just had to go back and comment on this. It wasn't the east coast that won the vote, it was the NE in particular. I even voted for there.

But you know all the tracks that are up that way were so doggone expensive, or had stupid limitations regarding usage. So no venues that SDAC could afford were found. THAT IS THE REASON IT WASN'T HELD IN THE NE EVEN THOUGH THAT AREA WON THE VOTE.

Give it a rest. I already had this argument with Gus years ago. And he, like many up that way, felt that since that area won the vote it should have been held there regardless. Well that attitude is just thoughtless and not practical.

When I went to plan SDAC-13 I wanted to go to the NE and found out for myself how expensive things are up that way. We had a very enthusiastic group of local folks making inquiries for us. We started with the New England states and upstate New York. Road courses, like Watkins Glen or Lime Rock, wanted $10K per day for a track rental.

And the dragstrips had stupid requirements like racing only between the hours of 10am - 2pm, and only single lane usage, no side by side racing. Even Englishtown in NJ had that requirement for a daily rental. So we kept going more and more south until we ended up in Maryland. Yeah Maryland, just north of DC, was the closest we could get to the NE.

[/rant off]

Barry