PDA

View Full Version : One of the few IC I can use in my GLH with A/C

tryingbe
03-20-2006, 01:57 AM
I found one! I measured and measured and am sure that this IC will work in my GLH while I can keep my A/C stuff. The downside is that the grill between the headlights MUST come off in order to make space for this i/c. It is going to be mounted in front of the a/c condensor and behind the front bummer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8037071021&category=33742

Question is, anybody have this I/C and how well does it flow and cool? The plan for the GLH is 2.5L with around 20psi with a TII turbo.

Keito
03-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Why not use a Daytona Rad/IC combo?

tryingbe
03-20-2006, 10:09 AM
Stock IC sucks.

Whorse
03-21-2006, 01:41 AM
Could run dual stock IC's which should be good.

tryingbe
03-21-2006, 03:19 PM
This is an OMNI we're talking about here. There isn't any space for a big ic unlike other TD, if you want to keep the A/C, or the bumper, or the body kit.

cordes
03-21-2006, 03:49 PM
If you were up for running a remote oil filter, and a slim fan, you would move the rad back a couple of inches and stuff a pretty big IC in front of the condenser.

Keito
03-21-2006, 09:13 PM
If you were up for running a remote oil filter, and a slim fan, you would move the rad back a couple of inches and stuff a pretty big IC in front of the condenser.

This is what I did, moved the radiator back 1".
Used a GLHS radiator w/o the IC to run pipes, a Spearco
top to bottom flow IC, and there was NO room to have an AC cond. in
there.
I remember Gary D. cutting the center out of the front bumper
of a GLHT and welding a Porsch IC in it.
Anyone remember the pics he had on the black GLHT?
That is the only was I can see it happening.

Turbulence
03-21-2006, 09:32 PM
I just got copies of those picks from Gary as I want to do the same thing. That GLHT with the 944 IC did not have A/C.

I wonder if a minivan condenser will fit. It is smaller than the mini rad.

Martin
90 Voyager TII--donor
89 Horizon--recipient

This is what I did, moved the radiator back 1".
Used a GLHS radiator w/o the IC to run pipes, a Spearco
top to bottom flow IC, and there was NO room to have an AC cond. in
there.
I remember Gary D. cutting the center out of the front bumper
of a GLHT and welding a Porsch IC in it.
Anyone remember the pics he had on the black GLHT?
That is the only was I can see it happening.

tryingbe
03-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Update with pic.
http://www.hardcars.com/thepriestmike/omni/omni_1406.JPG

Dave
03-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Looks like it fits. :thumb:

johnl
03-27-2006, 11:58 AM
More money but - put one of these on top of the transaxle. Almost no IC piping required, less bends, less lag, more efficient.

cordes
03-27-2006, 06:21 PM
More money but - put one of these on top of the transaxle. Almost no IC piping required, less bends, less lag, more efficient.

But then you will have to find a place for the water resevour, the water coolers, and lines for that.

SpoolinGLH
03-27-2006, 08:13 PM

less IC tubing yes. Being more efficient is subjective and Carroll Shelby once said "If you have turbo lag, you driving the car wrong.":amen:

johnl
03-28-2006, 12:27 AM
But then you will have to find a place for the water resevour, the water coolers, and lines for that.

How about cutting the center out of the GLHT's bumper and brazing/welding an aluminum radiator core (36"x3.5"x3") into the sectioned out center?

Then run 5/8 radiator hose into the driver's side frame rail -forward, maybe under the battery - and out through the inside of the bumper support to connect to a barb inside the bumper/radiator. The radiator hose would return on the passenger side and similarly come out of the frame rail forward of the areas of maximum chassis loads/stress. That radiator would have about 108" squared of area, not counting the surface area of the bumper. Hang the pump where ever is convenient.

Phreakish
03-28-2006, 01:31 AM
How about cutting the center out of the GLHT's bumper and brazing/welding an aluminum radiator core (36"x3.5"x3") into the sectioned out center?

Then run 5/8 radiator hose into the driver's side frame rail -forward, maybe under the battery - and out through the inside of the bumper support to connect to a barb inside the bumper/radiator. The radiator hose would return on the passenger side and similarly come out of the frame rail forward of the areas of maximum chassis loads/stress. That radiator would have about 108" squared of area, not counting the surface area of the bumper. Hang the pump where ever is convenient.

This sounds likely to happen - most guys with these cars spend $1000's in parts and plumbing, then hang it all with zip ties! haha. It really wouldn't be hard to do a water/air ic, but I have a charger so I'll put the extra $$ into the IC itself :D

Dave
03-28-2006, 01:48 AM

Yah but you can't beat a big, shiny, sexy intercooler hanging up front of a rusted out POS. :thumb:

johnl
03-28-2006, 01:50 AM
This sounds likely to happen - most guys with these cars spend $1000's in parts and plumbing, then hang it all with zip ties! haha. It really wouldn't be hard to do a water/air ic, but I have a charger so I'll put the extra $$ into the IC itself :D

Hey buddy - got something against zip ties and duct tape? I;ll meet cha outside! :bump2: :bump2:

cordes
03-28-2006, 05:42 PM

It could be done for sure, but if you are not worried about keeping the front bumper stock, there are a lot of other ways to do it without the hassle IMO.

johnl
03-28-2006, 09:00 PM
It could be done for sure, but if you are not worried about keeping the front bumper stock, there are a lot of other ways to do it without the hassle IMO.

This air/water IC project is the logical next step with this car. Want to get it running as a stock T2 set up first. Get it sorted, then, go with a more efficient intercooler and more PSI.

In my mind's eye, I see an air/water IC's radiator in the bumper as damn near invisible. ;) The car has black bumpers. I'll match the radiator fins to the bumper's black finish; the radiator fins will be set back from the front surface of the bumper by 1/4 to 3/8 inch, the heater hose connecting to it will be invisible since it will be inside the bumper supports, and I have no concern about keeping the bumper stock as Omni/Horizon bumpers are pretty easy to come by and the car I'm gonna do it to is a race/street car anyway. Better, IMO than cutting up the core support sheetmetal or hacking holes in the body.:nod:

There's a lot of room on top of the transaxle - especially when you pull the stock IC out. Air/water ICs just cool a lot better, especially if you give them a big/well ventilated radiator.

Not having to push the inertia of several cubic feet of air, not having to compress those cubic feet of air in 4 - 6 feet of IC hose/pipe has got to be worth something.