PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a file in a PM

Tony Hanna
08-27-2008, 02:05 AM
Is there an option to attach a file in a PM? I see it for a regular post, but if it's there for PM's, I must be missing it.:confused2:
If not, it would be handy to have.

Thanks,
Tony

Clay
08-27-2008, 09:31 AM
I dont believe that is an option.

quantum
08-27-2008, 03:58 PM
If possible it would be great for sending cals. Right now I upload the cal to my box.net account, share, and send the link.

Frank
08-27-2008, 05:53 PM
It is possible with some mods. I will do some considering.

Mopar318
08-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Theres this thing called email.

Hehe.

zin
08-27-2008, 07:52 PM
I for one would LOVE to be able to attach a picture, etc. It would be very handy when selling or buying, or anytime a file might need to be sent. I realize that email can accomplish the same thing, adding this feature would be a real solution, email is kind of a work-around. There's my .02!

Mike

Tony Hanna
08-27-2008, 08:51 PM
If possible it would be great for sending cals. Right now I upload the cal to my box.net account, share, and send the link.

That's exactly what I had in mind when I posted this. I wanted to send Brian B. a copy of a cal that I've been working on to look over. The thing is, I didn't want to attach it to a regular post where there might be even a remote chance that somebody could try it and hurt their engine because I screwed up.

It is possible with some mods. I will do some considering.

Thanks Frank! :thumb:

Theres this thing called email.

Hehe.

I figured that would get mentioned.:) The thing is, I'm doing good if I check my email twice a month, but I'm usually on the board several times a day. I may be an odd case with that though.

Frank
08-27-2008, 09:58 PM
If I do allow attachments, it will only be for pictures. I think it is bad business to be able to send .zips over PM... I cannot control those as easily and I am worried about virus' and such.

Tony Hanna
08-28-2008, 12:12 AM
If I do allow attachments, it will only be for pictures. I think it is bad business to be able to send .zips over PM... I cannot control those as easily and I am worried about virus' and such.

Wouldn't be any more risky than allowing linking to a .zip that's hosted by an outside source would it? Or is the problem that a potential virus would reside on the server possibly causing server issues? Can a virus even extract itself from a .zip file without somebody decompressing the file?

I'm not trying to question your judgment here Frank, just trying to understand your reasoning and maybe learn something along the way.:)

My take on virii lately has been that they are somebody's way of saying you should be running Linux.:D j/k

Tony

Frank
08-28-2008, 05:33 AM
The philosophy is that people would see it and report it rather quickly here.

Tony Hanna
08-28-2008, 04:51 PM
The philosophy is that people would see it and report it rather quickly here.

Gotcha.:thumb:

In that case, can anybody recommend a really good (read: free) file hosting site? I thought I might have something through my isp but I checked and it looks like that costs extra.

Thanks,
Tony

quantum
08-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Gotcha.:thumb:

In that case, can anybody recommend a really good (read: free) file hosting site? I thought I might have something through my isp but I checked and it looks like that costs extra.

Thanks,
Tony

If possible it would be great for sending cals. Right now I upload the cal to my www.box.net account, share, and send the link.

I already did. ;)

Tony Hanna
08-29-2008, 04:18 PM
I already did. ;)

Yeah, thanks for that! I read through the previous posts, and now have a box.net account myself.:thumb:
I set up a yahoo briefcase account too. I can't link to files on it, but it'll still be handy for storing stuff I might need to access from a different location.:)

glht_omni
09-04-2008, 03:31 PM
just go to photobucket.com they host for free and registering is free, its easy.
i just click once on the link below my photo and its automatically copied and paste it in a thread or a pm and your done. i try to conserve my gallery usage for close ups of certain mods or parts on the car for help and future use.

Tony Hanna
09-08-2008, 01:06 AM
Photobucket is just for photos and videos though right? I was looking more for something that would let me link to bin/tbl/calx files that have been zipped. Box.net seems to be working fine for that though. The free version gives you 1GB of space, a 10MB file size limit, and 10GB/month bandwidth. I'll probably never exceed that for cals.

Hmm... I do have a spare box running Ubuntu Linux. I might have to do a little research into what's involved with setting up my own server. I'd really like to be able to access my home network from other locations, and hosting my crap on my own machine might be a better plan in the long term.:)