PDA

View Full Version : reconditioning rubber parts

135sohc
08-26-2008, 02:46 PM
tried some penetrol on a spare beltline weatherstrip. stuff is a paint conditioner and has a fairly wide range of uses according to the can. doesnt actually say its safe for rubber though...

but this piece isnt falling apart yet and once its dried its NOT greasy or sticky
no idea how well it holds up in sunlight UV exposure.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/135SoHc/th_shadowinterior_exterior282.jpg (http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/135SoHc/shadowinterior_exterior282.jpg)

little too much gloss but still looks almost like new :cool:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/135SoHc/th_shadowinterior_exterior281.jpg (http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/135SoHc/shadowinterior_exterior281.jpg)

86Shelby
08-26-2008, 04:52 PM
After seeing what Mother's Back to Black does I like it. A few applications turned my grey side mirrors to black again. :)

135sohc
08-26-2008, 05:35 PM
I've used it before but its short term. didnt last through the first rain without streaks down the side of the car :(

not saying this stuff is any better but from reading online and observation so far I like it.

fully dry theres no greasey residue :)

zin
08-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Is it just a color thing or are you trying to restore the flexibility of the rubber?

Mike

135sohc
08-26-2008, 08:34 PM
somewhat for color but maybe it could also provide some protection.
armor-all and 303 protectant do nothing but wash off after the first rain and after 1 week you wouldnt know anything was even applied.

mine are still reasonably flexible and not cracked. but I'm ordering spares from mopar (drivers front still available) and can adapt it to fit the other doors as necessary.

fishcleaner
08-26-2008, 10:46 PM
I found automotive hand cleaners, especially the impregnated towels like Goop work well and it works great for restoring wiring, its strong enough to clean the grease but won't dry rot the insulation

rosie
09-14-2008, 06:10 PM
If there is ANY flexability at all left in your rubber then get some spray silicone. It can be found at regular part stores. Where rubber gloves though.

The rubber is only mostly rubber, the rest is silicone. So when the silicone evaporates, the rubber gets hard. If you keep your rubber siliconed (once a year is fine) they will stay soft for a long time. I haven't had any direct experience with the kinda hard ones but I learned that trick about keeping them nice from someone who had an old subaru GL and everthing rubber looked brand new... even though the rest of the car was a mess and he told me that trick.

Works on vacuum lines too. Just not our hard plastic ones.

rich tideswell
09-14-2008, 09:56 PM
While were on little tricks/ tips...

An engineer budy of mine told me to prevent the doors from rusting, spray the inside of the lip with WD40 (or somekind of spray oil). It will coat the bottom, and in the hot sun will expand and work it's way up and around the entire door frame. Did it to my SRT-4, and it really did work its way around the whole door.

I do use the spray silicon trick on my seals as well. Prevents them from sticking to the door in the winter time when it's snowy/ icey.

135sohc
09-14-2008, 11:00 PM
the company that makes that product got back with me. there standard disclaimer was they do not recommend using this stuff on rubber such as the window scrapers as it could attack it if used frequently. and cause it to fall apart

dont know how true that is but mine are not cracking yet. I'm going to be getting a spare set from someone here anyways :thumb: so if this stuff does destroy them. I'll have spares :)

I use spray silicone on the rubber seals to prevent sticking in winter. works well. walmart brand spray lube inside the bottoms of the doors, hatch and front edge of hood

rosie
09-14-2008, 11:23 PM
there standard disclaimer was they do not recommend using this stuff on rubber such as the window scrapers as it could attack :wow1:
It must be made out of the same stuff "happy fun ball" was made out of!

I never got attacked by spray silicone, got pretty messed up by a can of combusting break cleaner though