PDA

View Full Version : Relocated my boost gauge

Dave
03-19-2006, 08:07 PM
I decided I wanted something different for my Spirit interior-wise, so I began throwing around ideas. I decided to relocate the boost gauge where the middle heater vent would go.

I began test-fitting the gauge to the panel. I took a dremmel and wheeled out the circumfrence of the gauge to fit snugly. After that there was a good amount of space next to the gauge that could be seen... had to do something about that.

I quickly came to the conclusion of just blocking it off from sight. I took the molding behind the bumper cover off a few days prior and decided I could use that as a panel to cover the negative space.

I took the molding, cut out templates to fit, dremmeled out the circumfrence of the gauge again to slide next to it, glued the templates on with high strength plastic glue and then covered with electrical tape as a trim as they weren't perfect; I may redo these to get rid of the electrical tape... looks kind of ghetto.

Tell me what you think of it:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/567/medium/boost_gauge.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/567/medium/interior_front.JPG

2.216VTurbo
03-19-2006, 11:16 PM
Hmm, vents must be smaller in the Spirit, I used the same spot a few years back in my Shelby Lancer and it didn't 'hang over' the edge like that. Suited me fine for years and I think the current owner still has it that way. It did fog up on hot days with the AC on though:o

Force Fed Mopar
03-19-2006, 11:50 PM
Or maybe he has a larger gauge? I think it looks okay, just need to make a nicer looking panel to mount it in and cover the vent. Looks good for what you used though.

Dave
03-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Yah for now it's fine... I'm going to re-fab some panels to cover the negative space.

The guage is 2 1/16"

WVRampage
03-21-2006, 02:52 AM
aluminium looks good like I did in the center console in my rampage were the stuff tray was. I now have a fuel air,boost,oil guages in there and the fit of your guage looks great other than the electical tape(duct tape is good for a few more HP) im sure the finished product will look great. I was just thinking maby if you got some of that 2 inch foam insulation stuff you could carve the shape you wanted and angle the guage a little twards you and then make a fill peice out of fiberglass then paint it to match every thing and it would look like it was supose to be there.

Dave
03-21-2006, 06:37 PM
aluminium looks good like I did in the center console in my rampage were the stuff tray was. I now have a fuel air,boost,oil guages in there and the fit of your guage looks great other than the electical tape(duct tape is good for a few more HP) im sure the finished product will look great. I was just thinking maby if you got some of that 2 inch foam insulation stuff you could carve the shape you wanted and angle the guage a little twards you and then make a fill peice out of fiberglass then paint it to match every thing and it would look like it was supose to be there.

I might just go get some aluminum and cut it all out then... good idea. :nod: