PDA

View Full Version : Another 2.4 on the road !!

turboshad
08-24-2008, 01:16 AM
1/2 a year of planning and another 1 1/2 years of fabbing and she's finally on the road!! :clap:

2 years ago I dropped a valve in my 8V which sponned this project. I picked up a solid body for $100 and got started. Here are a couple pics for ya and if you haven't already seen one of them, the condenced build log can be found here. (the same pictures as my original log, less chat) http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=305752

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/turboshad/93%20Shadow/DSC01351.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/turboshad/93%20Shadow/DSC01353.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/turboshad/93%20Shadow/DSC01360-1.jpg

Myself and Randy (Turbo Rampage) at a show today.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/turboshad/93%20Shadow/DSC01363-1.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/turboshad/93%20Shadow/DSC01366.jpg

DJ

dds78910
08-24-2008, 01:29 AM
Looks Very,Very nice!

GLHS592
08-24-2008, 09:56 AM
VERY clean! Good job!

BadAssPerformance
08-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Nice job! :thumb:

Speedeuphoria
08-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Nice Whip!!!

2.216VTurbo
08-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Well DJ, I hadn't actually planned on spending an hour and 20 minutes:wow1: reading about your build up but there is just too many quality step by step fabrication shots to pass up. You deserve an atta-boy for the additional time it takes to do that kind of documentation and pics:clap2:

You should also know that I am adding you to the short list I have of folks who can really fab (I can make stuff happen but I'm not even on my own list:o). Heck son, welding, machining, wiring bodywork fer chissakes! Anything you can't do:hail:... I even like your writing style and humor;)

Nicely done, I hope to see the car at SDAC 19 in Cinci next year:amen:

turbovanmanČ
08-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Wow, that looks sweet, :amen: :nod:

Any track times yet or just a street play toy?

What do you do for a living, wow.

Whats done to the engine? Saves me going thru the blog, lol!

Nevermind, I went thru it, and all I can say is holy SH*T, that is some serious work, wow. :hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

Why did you make your own mounts, PB makes them and it would have been alot cheaper based on your "screwup" ;)

I guess I am lucky, I had no issues with axle fitment or that gear being wrong, :o

I don't understand this, you build a 4 inch system, then neck down to what looks like 2.5 inchs at the flex pipe?-

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/turboshad/93%20Shadow/Exhaust/DSC02802.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/turboshad/93%20Shadow/Exhaust/DSC02829.jpg

turboshad
08-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks everyone.

Alan,

If I run into something I can't do then I try as long as I have the tools. If I still can't do it I get mad and try again. Usually by the second try I can get something half decent but if not I put my tail between my legs and pay some one but I absolutely hate doing that. There are a few pieces that I had help on since I can't use the CNC mill yet (someday though, I am learning G code as we speak). But short of that I did all the rest myself and learned a whole lot with many of them being the first time I had ever done it. There are definately pieces I would love to do again since I know I could do them better now.

I would love to make it to an SDAC but they always happen on the east coast. They should really look into an alternating east/west coast deal. If it was held in California or Vegas like you guys were talking about I would be all over it. But the 50 hour drive puts a little damper on getting the car there.

Simon,

I haven't raced it yet since it has only been on the road for 3 days. I was hoping to get a pass in this year but it looks like I will probably have to wait until spring.

I'm a mechanical engineer with a key to a full metal fab machine shop so that definately helps out huge in doing a project like this.

It looks like you read the log so you don't need to know what has been done to the engine now.

I made my own mounts b/c it more or less cost me $30 and now when the day comes when PB doesn't make mounts for the car I am building I've already learned what not to do and they will come out much better.

The exhaust necks down to 3" not 2.5. It continues back through two magnaflow straight through 3" mufflers for a nice low tone without having excessive noise in the cab. If I want noise I can always open up the 4" :eyebrows:

DJ

dodgeshadowchik
08-25-2008, 12:05 PM
oh man, that's nice!

i hear ya on the body work. mine is in 1,000,000 pieces getting ready for paint stripping and a repaint. takes foooooorrrrrever.

turbovanmanČ
08-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks everyone.

Alan,

If I run into something I can't do then I try as long as I have the tools. If I still can't do it I get mad and try again. Usually by the second try I can get something half decent but if not I put my tail between my legs and pay some one but I absolutely hate doing that. There are a few pieces that I had help on since I can't use the CNC mill yet (someday though, I am learning G code as we speak). But short of that I did all the rest myself and learned a whole lot with many of them being the first time I had ever done it. There are definately pieces I would love to do again since I know I could do them better now.

I would love to make it to an SDAC but they always happen on the east coast. They should really look into an alternating east/west coast deal. If it was held in California or Vegas like you guys were talking about I would be all over it. But the 50 hour drive puts a little damper on getting the car there.

Simon,

I haven't raced it yet since it has only been on the road for 3 days. I was hoping to get a pass in this year but it looks like I will probably have to wait until spring.

I'm a mechanical engineer with a key to a full metal fab machine shop so that definately helps out huge in doing a project like this.

It looks like you read the log so you don't need to know what has been done to the engine now.

I made my own mounts b/c it more or less cost me $30 and now when the day comes when PB doesn't make mounts for the car I am building I've already learned what not to do and they will come out much better.

The exhaust necks down to 3" not 2.5. It continues back through two magnaflow straight through 3" mufflers for a nice low tone without having excessive noise in the cab. If I want noise I can always open up the 4" :eyebrows:

DJ

Ok, sounds good, :D

Again, awesome job, wow, :hail:

minigts
08-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Holy WOW. That thing is awesome.

BadAssPerformance
08-25-2008, 01:26 PM
.... I would love to make it to an SDAC but they always happen on the east coast. They should really look into an alternating east/west coast deal. If it was held in California or Vegas like you guys were talking about I would be all over it. But the 50 hour drive puts a little damper on getting the car there.

Since you are closer to the tree line than Vegas... how much further is it to Cinci than Vegas? ;)

Agreed on the fab shop.. I think my Z would still be a 2.2L if I didnt have such tools available myself..

BTW, nice job man, still need to find time to go thru the rest of your .org thread!

How much power ya making?

shadow88
08-25-2008, 01:29 PM
I had friends of mine show me that buid-up log a while ago but I haven't been back to see how it had turned out. It's AWESOME!

I didn't see the name of the colour, is it "patriot blue"?

Clay
08-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Read your blog! good stuff man!! Awesome build! and a sweet car all around. I cant wait to see how it does at the strip!

minigts
08-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks everyone.

Alan,

I hear ya. Simon would come to SDAC if he had a car running at the time. :rolleyes: Sorry, couldn't resist Simon.

omni_840
08-25-2008, 04:36 PM
WOW that is all I can say! I read your entire thread on neons.org and you are my hero:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

turbovanmanČ
08-25-2008, 04:39 PM
I hear ya. Simon would come to SDAC if he had a car running at the time. :rolleyes: Sorry, couldn't resist Simon.

Ouch, :mecry:

W.P._Turbocars
08-25-2008, 06:05 PM
:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

Wanna do my Daytona next? :eyebrows:

turboshad
08-26-2008, 01:26 AM
Since you are closer to the tree line than Vegas... how much further is it to Cinci than Vegas? ;)

Agreed on the fab shop.. I think my Z would still be a 2.2L if I didnt have such tools available myself..

BTW, nice job man, still need to find time to go thru the rest of your .org thread!

How much power ya making?

Actually Cincinatti isn'tas far as I originally thought. It's only 32 hrs according to google so add a few to that. Vegas is 22 hrs so still substantially closer. Well I have a winter to talk myself into it. I have always wanted to make one of them. If Simon heads over I could meet him half way. :thumb:

I don't know how much power it has yet since it has only been out for 3 days. My goals were 400 on pump and 500 on race but they were just goals. I won't brag about anything until it actually happens. The car was built around the magic 500 mark though. Kind of funny that that number doesn't sound as big as it used to.

I didn't see the name of the colour, is it "patriot blue"?

The color is by BMW called Monacco Blue.

DJ

87csx2.4
09-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Very nice job looks awesome,Is this an automatic car?And did you make the chrome thermostat housing I sure would like to get one that is not plastic Ive had a couple break already.:thumb:

turboshad
09-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Very nice job looks awesome,Is this an automatic car?And did you make the chrome thermostat housing I sure would like to get one that is not plastic Ive had a couple break already.:thumb:

Thank-you. It is a 5 speed using an A568 with 3.77 FD and an OBX. I didn't make the chrome thermostat housing but I did make the aluminum one ;)

If your next question is can I make another the answer is probably no. Not to mention you would probably drop your teeth on the ground if I had to give you a price. For this one I had to pull a favour though which is usually only good for one. I can write G-code for the lathe but not the mill yet. This was actually my fist G-code lathe project. That being said I had a buddy do the lower profile for me on his mill.

DJ

87csx2.4
09-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Thank-you. It is a 5 speed using an A568 with 3.77 FD and an OBX. I didn't make the chrome thermostat housing but I did make the aluminum one ;)

If your next question is can I make another the answer is probably no. Not to mention you would probably drop your teeth on the ground if I had to give you a price. For this one I had to pull a favour though which is usually only good for one. I can write G-code for the lathe but not the mill yet. This was actually my fist G-code lathe project. That being said I had a buddy do the lower profile for me on his mill.

DJThats cool I know how that is.Im going to have a machinist at work make me one with just a bleed valve in it because my radiator has a cap.

turbovanmanČ
09-24-2008, 07:39 PM

I can't find a decent pic of that, where did you see it?

87csx2.4
09-24-2008, 08:35 PM
I can't find a decent pic of that, where did you see it?It's in the 5th pic down on the 1st page of this thread.

turbovanmanČ
09-24-2008, 09:20 PM
It's in the 5th pic down on the 1st page of this thread.

Hahhaaa, it was right in front of me, I went thru his whole Neon thread looking for it, :banghead:

turboshad
09-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Here ya go Simon, a little closer look. Excuse the welds, it was a bad day........you'll never find me calling myself a welder :o

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/turboshad/93%20Shadow/Assembly/DSC01479.jpg

Thats cool I know how that is.Im going to have a machinist at work make me one with just a bleed valve in it because my radiator has a cap.

If your getting someone to make one I can post a drawing for you. It will fit the stock thermostat and then you can top it off how ever you like. For mine I used a hot rod rad cap piece that I got at a swap meet but since you don't need that you can machine it blind and then just machine and weld on the 90deg piece at whatever hight you need. LMK if you want it.

DJ