PDA

View Full Version : Grand National put to shame

Rattlesnake
03-19-2006, 06:31 PM
I'm minding my own business driving at normal speed as I'm getting on the freeway, I hear this reving engine with some spooling turbo sound and look at my rear view mirror. It was a Buick Grand National and I guess he was ticked off by the Viper emblem on the trunk of my Spirit. As we get on the freeway he pulls to my left and punches it, I can hear his big turbo spooling (which took forever) and as I double clutch and down shifted to 4th gear I waited for him to get closer, his girl friend was giving me the "you are dead" look, as I looked at her and smile as I dropped the hammer. We were head to head doing 120mph, at 6200rpm I shifted to 5th and I was gone. The freeway ends at a stop light and he pulls next to me and with a voice of embarrasment he said: Damn dude, what you got there man? I replied: It is a Hemi!:lol:

Mike_Shepard
03-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Nice Kill man that a GT35 you running?

Rattlesnake
03-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Nice Kill man that a GT35 you running?
Nope, it was a T61

turbovanmanČ
03-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Awesome dude, I love your car, :amen:

BoostMonkey
03-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Great Kill man, I've only ever seen 1 GN and that was a brief moment on a highway heading in the opposite direction. Regardless your car must be pretty impressive. What are the details?

Michael

2.216VTurbo
03-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Stories like these are even better when the other guy started it... I wonder if he swore his Girlfriend to secrecy?:p

Rattlesnake
03-19-2006, 11:16 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/491000-491999/491208_110_full.jpg
Great Kill man, I've only ever seen 1 GN and that was a brief moment on a highway heading in the opposite direction. Regardless your car must be pretty impressive. What are the details?

Michael
'89 Spirit ES Turbo

-2.5L SOHC
-Forged pistons .020 over
-FM Stage 3 head
-Taft S3 cam
-72pph injectors
-2 bar smec cal by Relentless Racing
-Cartech fuel pressure raiser
-Custom T61 by Innovative Turbo
-406whp and 453wlbs/ft (1 pull no tunning)

DOG-DID-IT
03-20-2006, 12:07 AM
The freeway ends at a stop light and he pulls next to me and with a voice of embarrasment he said: Damn dude, what you got there man? I replied: It is a Hemi!

:lol:

Force Fed Mopar
03-20-2006, 12:11 AM
Damn nice kill dude, I've driven a few GN's, one stock, one modded, and also a modded Turbo Firebird T/A. If you can smoke a modded GN, you are freakin' rocking.

Did you mean a 3-bar cal, or are you really running only a 2-bar? Nice mods BTW. How is that T61 as far as spooling is concerned?

Rattlesnake
03-20-2006, 01:34 AM
Damn nice kill dude, I've driven a few GN's, one stock, one modded, and also a modded Turbo Firebird T/A. If you can smoke a modded GN, you are freakin' rocking.

Did you mean a 3-bar cal, or are you really running only a 2-bar? Nice mods BTW. How is that T61 as far as spooling is concerned?
It is a 2-bar and the T61 I had full boost (36psi)at 3800rpm.

Ground Rat
03-20-2006, 05:43 AM
If you can smoke a modded GN, you are freakin' rocking.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/GroundRat/Animated/mswerd.gif

So you were double clutchin' huh?

Rattlesnake
03-20-2006, 08:10 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/GroundRat/Animated/mswerd.gif

So you were double clutchin' huh?
What would you call this?

5th gear
clutch in
neutral
clutch out
blip throttle(to bring revs up to equalize shafts speeds)
clutch in
4th gear
clutch out(imput and output shaft speeds are equal car wont slow down)
full throttle

What would you call doing the sequence of events described above and at the same time keeping constant pressure on the brake pedal?
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/491000-491999/491208_111_full.jpg

supercrackerbox
03-20-2006, 10:00 AM
A skilled combination of double clutching and heel-toe downshifting. A technique I have yet to master.

Rattlesnake
03-20-2006, 10:25 AM
A skilled combination of double clutching and heel-toe downshifting. A technique I have yet to master.
A+ for you supercrackerbox:thumb:

3Bar_Mopar
03-20-2006, 12:42 PM
What would you call this?

5th gear
clutch in
neutral
clutch out
clutch in
4th gear
full throttle

What would you call doing the sequence of events described above and at the same time keeping constant pressure on the brake pedal?

To be honest? I'd call that fumbling all over myself and grinding gears trying to do that! LMAO!

3Bar_Mopar
03-20-2006, 12:44 PM
'89 Spirit ES Turbo

-2.5L SOHC
-Forged pistons .020 over
-FM Stage 3 head
-Taft S3 cam
-72pph injectors
-2 bar smec cal by Relentless Racing
-Cartech fuel pressure raiser
-Custom T61 by Innovative Turbo
-406whp and 453wlbs/ft (1 pull no tunning)

That's very impressive! Such a simple set-up too....very easily accomplished by anyone for a modest budget!

What intercooler do you run?

Rattlesnake
03-20-2006, 01:37 PM
To be honest? I'd call that fumbling all over myself and grinding gears trying to do that! LMAO!

Have some faith in yourself, practice makes the master.

Rattlesnake
03-20-2006, 01:48 PM
That's very impressive! Such a simple set-up too....very easily accomplished by anyone for a modest budget!

What intercooler do you run?
It is a OBX and supports 600hp, bought it on ebay for $300
I forgot to mention that I build my own exhaust and intake manifolds.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/491000-491999/491208_79.jpghttp://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/491000-491999/491208_85.jpg
I'm waiting for my 3bar cal by TU.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/491000-491999/491208_117.jpg

Ground Rat
03-20-2006, 02:17 PM
5th gear
clutch in
neutral
clutch out
clutch in
4th gear
full throttle
I've never tried that. I'm not sure how that would help you racing someone on the freeway, but you seem to know what you are doing. Nice kill. :thumb:

Rattlesnake
03-20-2006, 02:53 PM
I've never tried that. I'm not sure how that would help you racing someone on the freeway, but you seem to know what you are doing. Nice kill. :thumb:
That is just a road racing technique that can be useful on the street.

Shelby5150
03-20-2006, 08:04 PM
as I double clutch and down shifted

What trans are you using? Just curious as to why you double clutch, are your synchros bad(or do you remove them for racing)? Please correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought that the synchros take care of matching up the gears??

Nice kill on the GN!!! :peace:

GLHSKEN
03-20-2006, 08:10 PM
LOL... brake boosting... you do that with a manual to build the boost BEFORE you put the hammer down... Eliminates all lag. I did that (no where NEAR as well as rattlesnake) next to a buddy, he said the car took off like a rocket.

The novice way is find your gear, egg your competition on with the foot on the brake and the gas.... Let off the brake and BOOST!!

3Bar_Mopar
03-20-2006, 09:33 PM
What trans are you using? Just curious as to why you double clutch, are your synchros bad(or do you remove them for racing)? Please correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought that the synchros take care of matching up the gears??

Nice kill on the GN!!! :peace:
Rattlesnake

Rattlesnake said:

Force Fed Mopar
03-20-2006, 09:57 PM
It is a 2-bar and the T61 I had full boost (36psi)at 3800rpm.

Okay I'm a little confused, a 2-bar only reads up to about 15 psi right? So you just use the rising rate regulator to keep the A/F ratio proper?

I also double-clutch on downshifts, haven't ever been able to heel-toe though, I always end up putting too much or not enough pressure on the brake. I usually just switch my foot from the brake to the gas to the brake really quick.

Rattlesnake
03-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Okay I'm a little confused, a 2-bar only reads up to about 15 psi right? So you just use the rising rate regulator to keep the A/F ratio proper?

I also double-clutch on downshifts, haven't ever been able to heel-toe though, I always end up putting too much or not enough pressure on the brake. I usually just switch my foot from the brake to the gas to the brake really quick.

Yes, up to 15psi by itself is ok. Once the boost passes 15 the FPR takes over. I have it at 2:1 ratio and at full throttle and full boost it reads 1275 egt.

It takes practice to do double clutching and heel-toe at the same time without upsetting the car. Try to do it at a slower speed and then as you feel more confortable increase the speed of the process, that worked for me.

supercrackerbox
03-20-2006, 11:23 PM
I used the brake boost technique a few time in my GLHS, but somehow the pedal spacing was never right for me to be able to properly heel-toe. In my Daytona though, I got fairly *decent* at it. I had a SDS issue that caused the car to try and die when slowing down, so I got some practice doing that to keep it alive. But then I finally rewired the SDS, so I've gotten lazy since then.

butchsuppe
03-21-2006, 03:10 AM
I'm minding my own business driving at normal speed as I'm getting on the freeway, I hear this reving engine with some spooling turbo sound and look at my rear view mirror. It was a Buick Grand National and I guess he was ticked off by the Viper emblem on the trunk of my Spirit. As we get on the freeway he pulls to my left and punches it, I can hear his big turbo spooling (which took forever) and as I double clutch and down shifted to 4th gear I waited for him to get closer, his girl friend was giving me the "you are dead" look, as I looked at her and smile as I dropped the hammer. We were head to head doing 120mph, at 6200rpm I shifted to 5th and I was gone. The freeway ends at a stop light and he pulls next to me and with a voice of embarrasment he said: Damn dude, what you got there man? I replied: It is a Hemi!:lol:
Did the same thing with my beat up 69 440 powered Dart with 6 banger rearend in it, the guy flipped me off at the next light as I laughted my a#$ off . Sleepers FOREVER !!!!

Force Fed Mopar
03-21-2006, 08:46 AM
I used the brake boost technique a few time in my GLHS, but somehow the pedal spacing was never right for me to be able to properly heel-toe. In my Daytona though, I got fairly *decent* at it. I had a SDS issue that caused the car to try and die when slowing down, so I got some practice doing that to keep it alive. But then I finally rewired the SDS, so I've gotten lazy since then.

Yeah that's what seems to be my problem is the gas pedal is to far below the brake so to speak. I drive a GLHS too. It's like you have to reach down with your heel to reach the gas. I've almost got it right once or twice, I guess maybe it just takes a lot of practice.

supercrackerbox
03-21-2006, 09:48 AM
That's exactly the problem- the brake pedal sits too high off the floor in relation to the gas. And I even have pretty big feet too.

BoostMonkey
03-21-2006, 03:45 PM
I know in my spirit I can Heel/Toe it, but I aint using my heel, nor my toe. My feet are pretty good sized and I usually wear Georgia shoes (like the work boots except for their ankle cut). I just put a section of the ball of my foot on the brake to hold hit, then use the right side of my foot on the gas.

I understand why you blip the throttle, but I don't understand the clutch in-neutral-clutch out-throttle-clutch in-4thgear sequence. Why hit neutral? Can't you just blip the throttle?

Rattlesnake
03-21-2006, 05:16 PM
I know in my spirit I can Heel/Toe it, but I aint using my heel, nor my toe. My feet are pretty good sized and I usually wear Georgia shoes (like the work boots except for their ankle cut). I just put a section of the ball of my foot on the brake to hold hit, then use the right side of my foot on the gas.

I understand why you blip the throttle, but I don't understand the clutch in-neutral-clutch out-throttle-clutch in-4thgear sequence. Why hit neutral? Can't you just blip the throttle?

Yes you can, but when you put it in neutral and clutch out and blip throttle and clutch in and downshift, if properly done the imput and output shaft speeds in the transmission are the same, so when you downshift the engine will not rev up because the transmission is trying to slow the car down.

BoostMonkey
03-22-2006, 08:50 PM
Gotcha! So instead of just speeding the revs up, your speeding the trans and engine up. Nice car BTW!

Michael

Rattlesnake
03-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Gotcha! So instead of just speeding the revs up, your speeding the trans and engine up. Nice car BTW!

Michaelexactamente:thumb:

GLHNSLHT2
03-25-2006, 11:35 AM
stick a spacer between the end of the cable an the throttle pedal. This will bring the pedal up so you can heel and toe. Finding the right size spacer for where you want the pedal might take a couple tries but it works sweet.

Rattle Snake, Where'd you get the lower chin spoiler???? I love it!

blk86trbo
03-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Man, such a neat car. Is there a site or webpage with pics and documentation?

I especially love the track picture with the high dollar European car in the background...the picture clearly shows the paint coming off the hood and roof just like my cars!

supercrackerbox
03-26-2006, 01:34 AM
Better yet, are you planning on attending SDAC-16? Care to give a guy a ride and show him a few tricks?

89acclaim
03-26-2006, 04:46 AM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/491208 :eyebrows:
I have a good memory for nice cars.:thumb:

Daniel Merrill

Rattlesnake
03-26-2006, 09:16 AM
Man, such a neat car. Is there a site or webpage with pics and documentation?

I especially love the track picture with the high dollar European car in the background...the picture clearly shows the paint coming off the hood and roof just like my cars!
cardomain.com look for 89 spirit. I haven't upgrade it in a while but eventually I will.

Rattlesnake
03-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Better yet, are you planning on attending SDAC-16? Care to give a guy a ride and show him a few tricks?
That is a long ride, I'm trying to talk my friend into it. Chicago right?

Rattlesnake
03-26-2006, 09:22 AM
picture clearly shows the paint coming off the hood and roof just like my cars![/QUOTE]
That was then, this is now.http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/491000-491999/491208_120_full.jpg
I know, the wing. At high speed the back end is very loose and light so hopefully it'll help to staybalize. On Summit Point Raceway there is a hump before the main straight, the first time through I went full throttle and the car went airborne and I almost lost it.

GLHNSLHT2
03-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Where'd ya get the ground f/x from?????????!!!!!

Force Fed Mopar
03-26-2006, 12:18 PM
^^+1 They look great.