PDA

View Full Version : Non-computer turbo car build?

JimmieD
08-23-2008, 02:53 AM
Just wondering if anyone here has built up a 2.2 or similar type engine with turbo but without computer control? Or would anyone have info on same? Thanks!

BadAssPerformance
08-23-2008, 08:58 AM
So without computer control? meaning not EFI but with a carb?

Carb turbo cars are way inefficient. You can blow thru the carb or under it if you get enough suction to add enough the fuel, but you typically have to run crazy amount of fuel to be safe, cuz a carb is a calibrated fuel leak that is not designed to be pressurized...

Why not EFI? Its been around for several decades, sort of proven itself? :confused2:

Vigo
08-23-2008, 02:27 PM
JT covered it, you will have to dump a ton of fuel to make it work even if its suckthrough because a LOT of that fuel is not going to stay atomized through the crazy --- intake tract of a suck-through setup.

Mopar318
08-23-2008, 02:32 PM
So without computer control? meaning not EFI but with a carb?

Carb turbo cars are way inefficient. You can blow thru the carb or under it if you get enough suction to add enough the fuel, but you typically have to run crazy amount of fuel to be safe, cuz a carb is a calibrated fuel leak that is not designed to be pressurized...

Why not EFI? Its been around for several decades, sort of proven itself? :confused2:

They have modified carbs that are able to hold pressure, and add the correct fuel. They are blow through carbs but they cost about 900 bucks.

http://www.csucarbs.com/750.html

Another way you can do it it is build a box around the entire carb. This pressurized the carberator inside and out while under boost. Ive seen turbo carb cars run damn fast, with little boost. I would not say they are way inefficient.

BadAssPerformance
08-23-2008, 02:33 PM
...I would not say they are way inefficient.

Compared to.... MPFI?

Mopar318
08-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Compared to.... MPFI?

Think about how many people with EFI even have the correct tune. I would say yes, EFI is more effecient. But the majority of the blow through cars running in the higher classes have their setups dialed in.

BadAssPerformance
08-23-2008, 02:40 PM
My Shadow dumps raw fuel (100 octane) through the engine at idle or WOT, but driving around mixed city/hwy I average 20mpg... probably close to 40mpg cruising at 70mph.

Mopar318
08-23-2008, 02:48 PM
The blow through carbs you can buy now actually started showing up after standalone fuel injection systems.

Cant makes you wonder why the carbs are sticking around still? Older guys like to use them, and can make them work wonders.

I myself like to stick with EFI though.

turbovanmanČ
08-23-2008, 02:49 PM
They have modified carbs that are able to hold pressure, and add the correct fuel. They are blow through carbs but they cost about 900 bucks.

http://www.csucarbs.com/750.html

Another way you can do it it is build a box around the entire carb. This pressurized the carberator inside and out while under boost. Ive seen turbo carb cars run damn fast, with little boost. I would not say they are way inefficient.

Exactly, carbs are NOT that bad and many can and do have wicked street manners, good MPG and are insanely fast.

t3rse
08-23-2008, 03:04 PM
I say screw anything I have to tune with a screwdriver.

JimmieD
08-24-2008, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback and info. This is for a project vehicle that's smog exempt. I can actually get the performance I want with just carburetion but thinking turbo/carb could add a lot to that.

I will not be using a factory wiring harness, components or computer so that's why I asked, plus I am an old timer who doesn't care for his electronic cars and trucks. I ended up buying $1,800 worth of electrical components to fix one Computer EFI truck so that told me something right there.

I'l look into a pressurized carb, remember doing it on some of the old Paxton and McCulloch superchargers years back. Got some pretty amazing power, and good mileage as long as a person keeps their foot out of it.

Thanks!