PDA

View Full Version : wheel hop

thefitisgay
08-20-2008, 10:59 PM
i just put pb motor mounts in my 91 daytona all except the trans side and now i have wheel hop pretty bad.... usually it feels like the right breaks loose maybe a 1/4 turn then grabs and that makes the left break loose then grab and it repeats the cycle so the wheels are hopping right left right left right

i was thinking since i pretty much preloaded the booble strut backwards (up instead of down) but all i did was put it in there with the bolt in the bottom and spun the nut on the bottom up till it was snug then when i took it off i gave it like 3-4 more turns and locked it so when i put the bobble strut in i had to push it up against the bushing to get the bottom bolt through

back to the i was thinking.... maybe i have my motor preloaded the wrong way? and it is provoking the wheel hop?

would love some input and different veiws :thumb:

cordes
08-20-2008, 11:25 PM
The play in the motor is not there anymore, so it can't mask the 20 year old suspension bushings that are shot to Hades. You shouldn't have much if any preload on the bobble strut by the way.

thefitisgay
08-21-2008, 11:18 PM
it is almsot nothing i pushed it up with my hand... i just wanted it snug

cordes
08-21-2008, 11:41 PM
it is almsot nothing i pushed it up with my hand... i just wanted it snug

That's fine. I would check those suspension bushings next. You can get poly ones for pretty cheap for most of our cars.

thefitisgay
08-21-2008, 11:43 PM
yea but that seems like a real pain in the --- to change lol im gunna avoid it

cordes
08-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Depending on how handy you are, and the number of tools of destruction you have in your arsenal this can be very true.

contraption22
08-22-2008, 12:38 AM
Running slicks eliminates wheelhop.

thefitisgay
08-22-2008, 08:53 AM
im avoiding a 300 dollar pair of tires

contraption22
08-22-2008, 09:13 AM

You could spend 50% of that on bushings and motormounts and get 0% of the results.

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2008, 01:04 PM

This isn't a cheap sport, lol.

Either way, you have to fix the bushings or buy tires, or the cheapest mod is turn down the boost and don't race, :o

thefitisgay
08-22-2008, 05:11 PM
bah even at 7 psi i can cook them all day off rev limiter lol i just gotta drive around it either lauch at 5k and spin for a while or hop a little bit.... eh well whatever

shelbymopar89
09-11-2008, 06:27 AM
God speed to your half shafts :nod:

Anonymous_User
09-11-2008, 07:05 AM
that seems like a real pain in the --- to change lol im gunna avoid it

And so you want what? A no effort, no expense fix?

Remember, cheap, fast or reliable. . . you can only have TWO.

ekimdam
09-11-2008, 11:20 AM
:confused::confused2: Wheel hop = bad ummm-kaaay.

Get the bushings and save your axles. They're not that hard to replace and they're worth every penny.... the worst you'll have to do is get an alignment afterwards.

You're only fooling yourself if you think that "I'll just launch different and it won't be a problem...". If you're getting wheel hop that bad, you need new bushings anyway. It's false economy to go cheap now; you'll just end up paying more later.

You'll be amazed at how much more steering and cornering response you'll get from the car too.

thefitisgay
09-11-2008, 07:44 PM
its funny because nobody mentions motor alighnment.....

ekimdam
09-12-2008, 01:40 PM
its funny because nobody mentions motor alighnment.....

Really..... See Below:

The play in the motor is not there anymore, so it can't mask the 20 year old suspension bushings that are shot to Hades. You shouldn't have much if any preload on the bobble strut by the way.

;)

t3rse
09-12-2008, 04:22 PM
This isn't a cheap sport, lol.

This isn't a sport....

Changing transmissions by yourself without a lift might be a sport....

Ondonti
09-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Fix the other mount.

When you make certain mounts solid, your other mounts that are not solid will take a beating. Any movement your engine wants to make will not be allowed by the solid mounts so it will beat up the mount that is not solid.

That means nasty wheel hop.

My duster has no wheel hop and still has crappy old stock bushings.

thefitisgay
09-12-2008, 11:54 PM
i have all new mounts all of them.... its starting to tear the brand new poly bushing trans mount up tho.... and ekimdam.... i was talking about left to right alighnment....