PDA

View Full Version : The Pioneer DEX-77

DC Turismo
08-19-2008, 01:07 AM
What's going on everyone?

If you're reading this thread, you are interested in the Pioneer DEX-77. I'm wanting to create this thread to address common problems with this unit, and hopefully be able to work with others to find sources that can correct these problems, whether they be a vendor, private party, or someone who's personally worked with them and has first hand experience.

#1 For starters, my DEX-77 is not currently accepting CD's, and I refrained from pushing one in. It seems to me that either the CD player isn't registering the injection of a CD period, OR is it that you have to hit a certain button to turn on the CD player option in order to have it accept a CD?

#2 I know many people talk about their DEX's having the CODE flash continuously on the face of their unit. The unit I have is located in a car that has been un-op'd for the last few number of years, yet I put the battery in it tonight and the unit came right on and I even had it playing some radio stations. When does this CODE flash requiring the input of a CODE apply, and if you do not know the previous code, is there a reset switch or some way you can figure it out even besides guessing?

#3 Should any part of the face of this unit come off? The fascia piece that sits in front of the time (right in the center) came off of my unit tonight when I hit the eject button, and thinking this was some sort of door for the CD, I pushed down on it slightly thinking a CD was going to come out of the unit. Instead, this small plastic piece of the fascia came off. It appears that it shouldn't have, and maybe just the glue holding it to the head unit has weakened from how it was sitting in the sun, allowing it to fall off. Has anyone else had this happen, and if so, what did you do to correct it and reapply it without any visible flaws?

#4 Two of the tiny green lights on the EQ above the head unit are burnt out. Is this somethign that can be fixed like the 12 button navigators from Daytonas can be?

#5 Has anyone ever taken this unit from a SL and put it into another vehicle with it being successfully operable? Just curious as I so many of these cars on the Shelby Registry are missing their's, is this unit something that previous owners of those cars maybe removed to put into their new rides?

#6 PERHAPS THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION I HAVE --- Does Pioneer recognize this product at all these days, as in sending it to them for refurbishing, diagnosing, resetting, etc? Or do they no longer honor any service repairs on it? Besides Pioneer, is there anyone who has repaired these on their own, or know of a reputable company that does little maintenance things like changing those light bulbs inside the EQ buttons? I figure I ask this question because many folks out there have some problems with their units that I'm sure they would want to be fixed, but hesitate to send them anywhere due to their rarity as well as complications.

Hope this thread leads to some good discussion as well as answers!!!! :thumb: Please feel free to post further questions or stories of experience with these units, as I'm sure every SL owner out there has some input to contribute here! :thumb:

looneytuner
08-19-2008, 08:58 AM
My only thought is that they broke, weren't that great and were trashed at replacement time. I did a lot of searching and thetr are cd's for testing in Europe for $500! I don't know if it is a cd manual or a cd for calibrating or ?

These were from the "stone age" of cds so?

Rick
08-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Contact Steve Thorton http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/member.php?u=40 He used to sell the DEX77 service manuals.

rare_ram
08-19-2008, 02:55 PM
There's a guy on allpar that fixes radios. I bought a CD/Cassette from him.

rich tideswell
08-19-2008, 05:54 PM
There's a place in Warren, MI that fixes Chrysler radio's exclusively. Had them fix a cd/ tape deck combo.

Hunt T E Auto Radio Service Center Inc.
24607 Schoenherr Road
Warren, MI 48089

(586) 834-1240

CSXVNT461
08-19-2008, 07:12 PM
This is not a Chryco radio though , it's a Pioneer. It probably shares lots of parts and tech with other Pioneer models from its time. I'd say any reputable experienced repair technician could handle it. Check around at the high end car stereo stores for one that does service and repair, some of the better shops Ive dealt with have repair technicians.

rich tideswell
08-19-2008, 07:47 PM
true, but alpine makes the gps radio's and this company services them as well...sssooooo, it's worth a shot

TopDollar69
08-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Try to remember that radio is 22 years old, the guys that were working on them back in the day have most likely retired by now. Finding someone that has experience fixing vintage audio equipment is going to be your best bet. When that deck came out it was probably being worked on by guys that fixed mostly home stereos and TVs. You might also want to look up some old 2 way radio guys or possibly a TV-Home audio repair guy.

CSXVNT461
08-19-2008, 08:50 PM
true, but alpine makes the gps radio's and this company services them as well...sssooooo, it's worth a shot

Most definitely, if you had a good experience with them. Anyone with a good reference is worth a shot these days. ;)

CSXVNT461
08-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Try to remember that radio is 22 years old, the guys that were working on them back in the day have most likely retired by now. Finding someone that has experience fixing vintage audio equipment is going to be your best bet. When that deck came out it was probably being worked on by guys that fixed mostly home stereos and TVs. You might also want to look up some old 2 way radio guys or possibly a TV-Home audio repair guy.

A vintage audio tech is actualy the first thing that I thought also. I have a vintage Pioneer SPEC system (home audio), I go to a forum called AUDIO KARMA for info and its loaded with lots of guys "in the know" look around or ask for reputable repair service in your area. Come to think of it they might even have a vintage car audio section IIRC.

rare_ram
08-19-2008, 10:49 PM
My guy on Allpar has no experience with the Pioneer decks.

DC Turismo
08-20-2008, 01:10 AM
Yeah if anything I would seek out someone VERY reputable to even touch the unit. That will definitely be the most interesting factor.

WickedShelby88
08-20-2008, 01:14 AM
There is a place in Greenfield, IN called LRF electronics. The guys there have been specializing in Pioneer since at least the early 80's. I know they've been a Pioneer dealer as far back as I can remember. Always were top notch and would quote you what it would cost to repair often times before they actually charge you much at all. I had a Pioneer receiver that had been hit by lightning and they were able to revive most of the functions for 40 bucks.. Not bad. (317) 462-2272. Give them a shout. I'm sure they've at least seen your beast or can get a schematic when most others can't.

DC Turismo
08-20-2008, 01:20 AM
Cool to know, thanks man!

J_S_K
08-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Hey all,
I know this is an OLD thread, but I haven't found a lot by searching the archives...

I am flying to South Carolina on Friday to drive my "new" SL #379 home. The owner had just replaced the dead battery and he can't figure out what the code is to allow the original Pioneer DEX-77 stereo to work again. And I don't want to drive 14 hours with no audio!

I've seen several posts that indicate the default code is 0000. But they've entered their own code already (this is essentially the original owner), so I don't think the default code will work.

I've also read about a pin-hole in the front facia for a reset, but I only read that once.

ANY help will be greatly appreciated, as driving to the sound of tires on pavement for 14 hours might lull me into a deep sleep (will be driving overnight)... probably won't be good for the body panels if that happens!

Thanks for your time -
Jerry
jerrykane2001@hotmail.com

Fuzz's '87 Shadow
08-21-2012, 11:42 PM
I had read years ago that there was a code on the back or the side of the unit to reset or enter to get the radio to work again. Might be worth a shot...

Fuzz

glhs0075
08-21-2012, 11:50 PM
I just managed to get my radio to come on with the car not started. I pushed the pinhole, pushed +/- at the same time, then 0,0,0,0 then the bottom left button (forget what it's called). Trouble is, as soon as I start the car, it goes back to being silent and won't accept any input. My LCD display doesn't work, so it makes it hard to know what's going on.

J_S_K
08-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the replies!

If I have to take it out of the dash, I reckon I'll be driving home with a gallon of Red Bull... but at least I can look after I get her home!

I'll have the owner try out the pinhole-technique today... the lcd display IS working on his -- hope it works!

Thanks again, guys!

Jerry

glhs0075
08-22-2012, 05:17 PM
I'm curious to hear updates. I'll let you know if I figure anything else out about mine.

J_S_K
08-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks - I'll definitely post the effective solution for my situation.

cordes
08-22-2012, 06:11 PM
For what it's worth, there are a lot of guys out there with the capability to fix these. Though most of them are older and in a position to command exorbitant sums for their time from what I've seen.

glhs0075
08-26-2012, 11:57 AM
My display not working makes it so frustrating not knowing what's going on! I pulled my deck out, cleaned the wiring conections and tightened a loose ground. I hoped this would fix my issues, but nothing. I had to go to a car show 1.5 hours away and ran out of time, so just tucked the deck loosely into place. While I'm driving, it slowly bounced out. My wife leans over to push it back, bumps a button and I here the beap it makes when buttons are pushed. My poor wife appologizes, I go crazy because it hasn't beaped with button input in several days! I enter my code (luckily it's still the default 0000) and low and behold the radio comes on! I haven't tried the CD yet (too scared, don't plan on using it anyway), I drove the car to work this morning, and the radio came on right away when I started the car! For almost 24 hours now I've had a working radio!

cordes
08-26-2012, 12:14 PM
that's great!