PDA

View Full Version : Factory passenger side exhaust tip?

Turbo_Rampage
08-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Hey,

I just recently picked up a 1990 Chrysler Daytona Shelby and i was just curious as to why the exhaust tip goes to the passenger side of the car... i posted up a couple pictures of it, and it looks like it's the original exhaust on the car and all the brackets look to be factory. I've never owned a 1990+ TD so i don't know if they are all like this or not? Is their a reason why they had to run the exhaust like this? I'm just used to the regular dual tips seen on all TD's...

contraption22
08-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Weird.... a friend of mine had a 90 Dodge Daytona ES Turbo that had the same tail section on it.

"Top Fuel" Bender
08-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Yeah that's the only other one besides Justin's that had the same setup
canadain eh?

shadow88
08-18-2008, 09:49 AM
canadain eh?

I don't know if that's Canadian specific. I've never seen one of those. So where's the muffler?

contraption22
08-18-2008, 09:52 AM
I don't know if that's Canadian specific. I've never seen one of those. So where's the muffler?

The muffler is in the OE location... but there is a 90 degree bend after the muffler, the tailpipe then shoots towards the passenger side.

Tony T
08-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Somewhere it must me mandated that the exhaust exit the vehicle at a point furthest from the driver's seat (or something similiar). Does look factory and seems odd to go to the extra $$/effort unless it was required (like the extra emmissions crap for California cars).

(Not shown or mentioned in my '89 service manual, but it must be in someone's...)

TT

Reaper1
08-19-2008, 02:17 PM
It is VERY factory. If you look in the 1990 FSM they actually show it as an option. It was only available on the 2.5L TI Daytona's and ONLY that year! I've seen one here in Florida in person(the car is long gone now). They call it a "cross-car spout".

I've been trying to find out this thing's purpose for YEARS! The only logical thing was emissions standars someplace. Where was this car origionally sold and was it a Cali car? I don't *think* the one I saw here was, but I also don't know where it origionally came from...

GLHNSLHT2
08-19-2008, 07:36 PM
See that on 2 1990's here. Even parted one out.

Turbo_Rampage
08-20-2008, 08:10 PM
canadain eh?

Yeah i just did a Carfax report on the car and it was bought brand new in Ontario (May, 14, 1990) then 3yrs later it ended up in British Columbia and then 3yrs after that, it ended up in Alberta where it spent the rest of it's life... Carfax is good for these things!

It is VERY factory. If you look in the 1990 FSM they actually show it as an option. It was only available on the 2.5L TI Daytona's and ONLY that year! I've seen one here in Florida in person(the car is long gone now). They call it a "cross-car spout".

I've been trying to find out this thing's purpose for YEARS! The only logical thing was emissions standars someplace. Where was this car origionally sold and was it a Cali car? I don't *think* the one I saw here was, but I also don't know where it origionally came from...

My guess was emissions, but if it was an option then i can't see it being for that... Plus i don't think Canada has crazy emission standards like cali. Maybe the extra 3' of tailpipe was supposed to make the car run more quiet? This is my only quiet TD i own, :D You cant even here the car running.

ShadowFromHell
10-14-2008, 08:30 PM
wow. I saw one of these a few years ago, and when I asked on TD.com, everyone thought I was crazy!

turbovanmanČ
10-14-2008, 08:50 PM
You are crazy, :eyebrows:

I would guess its so the back bumper cover doesn't get damaged. Is it only on white cars?

Reaper1
10-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Nope...the one I saw it on was red....