PDA

View Full Version : Help: Installed new strut mount/bearing, got questions!

Clay
08-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Ok I get some new upper strut mounts and bearings for the Konis on my GLHT. Ive installed them and had a few questions before I put them back on.

1) The rubber inside the top mount is a LOT thicker than the old mount. Right now Im attributing this to being brand new, but I want to make sure thats right. I even checked the other set of Konis, and the factory struts and they all look different from the new ones.

2) after I installed the the new top mount and bearing, now the top doesnt turn at all, at least not by hand. the old mount turned easily, almost sloppy! Is this just normal for a new top mount and bearing, or should I be able to turn it when its just sitting on the bench?

Thanks!
clay

black86glhs
08-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Clay, did you put everything back the way it came off? If you want to check it, install the strut backin the car, but only hand tighten the nuts on the mount studs(the ones that stick up thru the strut tower). Now grab the strut and see if it turns. If yes, it should be firm but not jump as you turn it.

Clay
08-17-2008, 06:29 PM
yeah, Im 99% sure its all back on how it came of.

Spring cap, then the bearing, with the spacer facing up, then the strut mount, then the small cup, then the nut.

black86glhs
08-17-2008, 08:05 PM
I'll go look, there my be a torque spec for the strut nut. Hey that rhymed.:thumb:

Clay
08-17-2008, 09:54 PM
ahh, yeah if there is a torque spec, Ive probably exceeded it ;)

Clay
08-17-2008, 11:25 PM
checked the FSM and the torque spec is 60 ft-lbs. So I backed the nut off, and tried to torque it down. Before I ever hit 60 ft-lbs the thing was impossible to turn by hand again. Tomorrow Ill bolt it in and see if I can turn it while in the car.

black86glhs
08-18-2008, 12:30 AM
Sorry Clay, I couldn't find the manual earlier. I was taking the recycling out to the bin in the garage and there it was on a shelf.:banghead:
I showed 60 also.

Clay
08-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks Bryan!!

Anyone else have an opinion??? I would really like to get these back under the car soon. :)

Turbodave
08-18-2008, 01:44 PM
I noticed the thicker rubber as well, the KYB mounts I used in my Omni were that way and the car sat a bit higher after the job. I bought a set of Monroe brand mounts and they were the same. I don't know if it was just that my stock ones were tired and worn, but the car had a nice ride height before, now it sits up like a 4x4. The strut measures the same as the stocker from the knuckle to the spring perch, so it's either due to the mount or the gas pressure in the strut.

Clay
08-18-2008, 01:59 PM
oh, I bet its from the rubber. Ive got one more strut to do so Im going to take an overall height before I pull the other one apart. Not really happy about the mount being thicker to be honest. Im half tempted to put the old ones back on.

Clay
08-18-2008, 11:20 PM
Ok, pictures:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/736/strut-mount0001.jpg

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/736/strut-mount0002.jpg

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/736/strut-mount0003.jpg

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/736/strut-mount0004.jpg

You can really see the difference in picture 3 and 4 between the rubber in the new and the old strut mount.

I assembled the other strut tonight, and when you put the upside down cap/spacer on top of the strut mount plate, there is like an 1/8" gap between the rubber and this cap. So when you tighten everything down you really pull that rubber tight up against everything. I took it back apart, and used the old strut mount, and it was perfect.

On the other strut, the thick rubber combined with the fact the freaking NEW bearing and spacer had somehow locked up tight, made everything not turn. I pulled the spacer out, put in a different one with the old strut mount and all is well. Nice and tight, but everything turns freely.

So, lessen learned: dont buy Spicer brand strut mounts. Other people I talked to have had the same problem, and they said to stay with the factory Mopar strut mounts as they are exactly what is suppose to be on there, and not thicker like the aftermarket ones.

87glhs
08-30-2008, 09:19 PM
The strut mount from NAPA and (I believe) Gabriel both come with roller-bearings, versus the bushing, and I couldn't use them at all. Made things too thick on the bottom side of the plate and my caps rubbed. Ended up repainting my old ones and re-using them.

The correct mounts are getting very hard to find.