PDA

View Full Version : 90 Shadow N/A 2.5 TBI update

Dave_J
03-17-2006, 09:47 PM
I posted on this car awhile back. It ran fine when I drove it home, shut it off, next morning no start. I changed the MAP, HEP, plugs, wires, cap and rotor. New plugs are wet with gas and it is blowing bluish grey smoke out the pipe. It is a 1990 and today my son that works at NAPA looked up a fuel pressure regulator (FPR) for a 90 and it is a different number than my FPR. He then looked up the number on mine and its for a 91. I had to pass the Emission test last year and it was fine at Idle, 110 PPM with a 220 limit but bearly passed the Cruise test, Limit was 160 PPM and I passed with a 158. When I got it to start and idle at 1500 RPM today the injector was not spraying but looked like it was dumping fuel and it started to pop back into the TBI. Think this is the problem? DaveJ

3nglenn
03-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Take a look at the injector o-ring and make sure it's not cracked/split, which would cause a bad seal. Had this happen to a 93 about 3 months ago, it was leaking a huge amount of gas down the throttle body, flooding the engine out.
Yeah if the plugs are wet there's to much fuel getting down there. I think there's an o-ring on the FPR too. Keep us posted. G.P.

Dave_J
03-18-2006, 02:09 AM
Ok my next question is, will a 90 low pressure injector work with a 91 high pressure regulator? Everything else on the car is 1990 but who knows if someone swapped a 91 TBI on it. I will check the O rings in the AM, thanks. DaveJ

Dave_J
04-16-2006, 02:42 AM
Ok I found the time to work on this car agian. I had replaced: sparkpulgs, plug wires, cap, rotor, HEP, Map sensor, coil and checked all wiring. No codes. Today I did a power balance test and it ran better with #2 plug disconnected. I pulled the valve cover and the rocker arm (follower) was off the #2 exh. While tring to put it back under the cam the valve would not go down with the retainer. So I pulled the keepers, retainer, spring and the valve stem seal. There is no guide poking up for the seal to go on. This head has been milled 0.020" , fully ported, oversized valves and bronze guides press in. So it looks like a bronze guide lost its press fit and dropped. This is not a for sale ad but I will get about $20 scrap from it so email me if anyone wants it. Barracuda1965@juno.com DaveJ

turbovanmanČ
04-16-2006, 03:26 AM
Wheres your location? wouldn't mind the head if your parting it out. Email no good, :(

bobr19
04-16-2006, 06:05 AM
Yeah--whats your location--

Dave_J
04-16-2006, 10:07 AM
I am about 30 miles southeast of Seattle. Out in the sticks. I am on the google locater on the main page http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/VBGooglemap.php . I dont know if the "G" head is saveable. If the guide fell down it may have done some major damage to the head. The car has well over 200K miles but everything (rings,bearings, clutch) was replaced about 10K miles ago. The A520 shifts good. Normal peel-a-paint job from Ma Mopar. Rear spoiler. I may keep the 15" Pumpers for my 90 Spirit. This would be a good car to drop another engine in and drive, but not for me. I have two other heads on the shelf but one has small cracks and slowly pushes the water out of the raditor. If I donate it to an Auction, the IRS will let me declare only the amout it sold for at the auction, about $20. A buddy that Hulk huals said he would get about $30 scrap, $15 to me IF I bring it to him. You haul its free. I do need to have it gone real soon. DaveJ

turbovanmanČ
04-16-2006, 12:22 PM
I'd have to pass on coming to get it, thats roughly 5-6 hour round trip plus gas, customs etc. Thanks though.

Dave_J
04-16-2006, 04:10 PM
I figured that. Between Customs and gas it would cost a bit of coin. If no one local wants the whole thing then I will call a charity and donate it. Its too bad, it was a good car. It also has a ported 94 iron exh manifold that I took 3 whole pounds out of. If this was not a TBI car I would put my ported and big valved 2.0 Neon R/T head on it. Maby the bronze guide can be knirled and repressed back in but I am clueless on that condition of the head at this time. DaveJ

turbovanmanČ
04-17-2006, 11:04 PM
Well if you the itch and pull the head off, I'll take it, :thumb: