PDA

View Full Version : ABS fault - help needed please

Garffus
08-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Seem to have a faulty connection (im guessing) here's the symptoms...

Driving home, ABS light came on solid, 2-3 miles to house so continued.

Next day, took wheels off, checked calipers, pickup, sensors, plugs.. wobbled everything, poked it, prodded it, no visible problems..

so, started the engine, ABS light gone out.... went for a drive, after 5-6 miles it came on, so i stopped, turned the ignition off and on again, started it and no light again..

I'm thinking electrical connector somewhere, but before striping and cleaning every electrical brake connector on the car does anyone know of any known bad connections on the system, or if this is something else?????

It had a new ABS module in 04 so im hoping its not that.

Thanks, Gareth

Austrian Dodge
08-11-2008, 08:57 AM
check your ABS pump relay...
sits right between the power distribution center and the battery.

mine seems broken too

Garffus
08-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Yeah i know the block, that magic one that i just kinda shy away from on other cars :o

Garffus
08-11-2008, 07:09 PM
ok, no leaks or bad connections on or around the relay. any other ideas guys or am i fighting blind? light comes on solid after 10-15 mins driving... clears itself after stoping and re starting.

shadow88
08-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Year, make, model and trouble code? Let's start from there.

Garffus
08-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Sorry, 93 Daytona RT.

Not checked codes because 1, fault clears itself when the ignition is reset and 2, i don't have codes for late model cars? thought they were different? well certainly no abs on earlier cars anyhow...

JimmieD
08-15-2008, 01:08 AM
It's reported by many guys on the Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel forums that contaminated brake fluid often causes problems. The fluid picks up metal contaminants and moisture which throws off the delicate sensor.

My '90 was fine otherwise and suddenly got silly on ABS light so now it's disconnected. I never liked ABS in the firs place so good riddance.

The cure on the fluid is to drain the system all the way to each wheel and refill with fresh DOT4.

Garffus
08-15-2008, 04:06 AM
thanks for the suggestion mate, ill flush them right through with fresh fluid and try again...

edit - can't really disconnect it easily because it has to be functional for its annual inspection, if a car has an ABS system, it has to work