PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Frame Rail (advice please)

omni_840
08-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Today I finally got around to checking some of the rust damage on my project glh. I knew it had some rust but didn't think the rail on the driver side was completely rusted out. :mad:

What do you guys/gals think; is it fixable? or junk it and get a new project car?

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg71/omni_840/010-1.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg71/omni_840/018-1.jpg

jamesmonty
08-10-2008, 01:22 PM
I guess anything is fixable. How is the rest of the car? For what you want to do with it is it worth the time and money?

Tony Hanna
08-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Looks fixable to me. Be alot easier if you could find a parts car to cut a repair panel out of though.

t3rse
08-10-2008, 03:51 PM
tube chassis :nod:

omni_840
08-10-2008, 04:58 PM
How is the rest of the car? For what you want to do with it is it worth the time and money?

The rest of the car has rust on the floor panels, rust on the fender wells, and it looks like the previous owner kissed the passenger side on a guard rail (small dent all the way from front fender to rear quarter)

Well as far as worth the time and money, I'm collecting parts for the drivetrain. So getting another clean omni to make a clone might be the easiest way. But I dunno I was hoping you guys would sway me one way or the other:)

omni_840
08-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Looks fixable to me. Be alot easier if you could find a parts car to cut a repair panel out of though.

I wish I knew where one was around here:(

omni_840
08-10-2008, 05:01 PM
tube chassis :nod:
Details please and/or pics:eyebrows:

Tony Hanna
08-10-2008, 05:10 PM

There was a n/a car that sat right up the road from the house.
I intended to ask about it, but it was gone before I got the chance. They're out there though. Might check your local trader's guide.

1966 dart wagon
08-10-2008, 06:29 PM
wow that looks pretty bad but definatly fixable, just fine a horizon or another omni and make it a donor car. or you could make patch pieces from other car frame rails if you cant find anything but that would be a last resort. Good luck

spoolinhard
08-10-2008, 07:24 PM
I can hack a complete solid frame rail out of one of my chargers if you dont want to buy a parts car. Send me a PM if interested.

cordes
08-10-2008, 07:25 PM
+1 to what everyone else has said, it is repairable, but it will be a doozie.

WVRampage
08-10-2008, 07:45 PM
It is repairable,it would be nice to find a donor car.

rich tideswell
08-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Eh, I don't know about this one. True with time/ money/ parts it will be possible to fix that. You will ultimatly have to decide if the car is worth it when it's all done. Unless it's an uber rare car (like a numbered Shelby), most people would seek out a cleaner body and use that car as a donor.

God, the first person who makes new Turbo Dodge sheet metal would be a millionair in about 15minutes.

ScottD
08-10-2008, 10:51 PM
With the help of a friend who is a good welder I fixed the frame rail in my 86 GLHS. I made patch panels and he welded them in. Now my rust wasn't as bad as yours, but I did post pics under the Fabrication link on this site.

Tony Hanna
08-11-2008, 05:27 PM

I see you're in Beckley, not too far away... Sorry for the off topic, but do you ever get down to Princeton any? I'm curious if the drag strip down there is still open. I went to college at Concord and remember driving by all the time thinking I should watch the races one night, but never did for some reason.

Tony

omni_840
08-11-2008, 06:53 PM
I see you're in Beckley, not too far away... Sorry for the off topic, but do you ever get down to Princeton any? I'm curious if the drag strip down there is still open. I went to college at Concord and remember driving by all the time thinking I should watch the races one night, but never did for some reason.

Tony

Unfortunately it is closed down:(

They actually turned it into a trailer park (i guess that is more profitable)

omni_840
08-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Part of me wants to fix it and another part of me wants to junk it. I see a lot of it's fixable and a lot of it'll be a lot of work posts.

omniac
04-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Opening up an old thread as I've just been presented with some bad news. I thought the right front frame rail on my 1986 GLHT wasn't too bad, but after further review you can see from the photos it is not just minor.

When doing some work on it 2 years ago I welded a small patch on a small rust area. Now come to find out there are more areas with holes and it has even rusted out through to the other side of the rail on the lower section - meaning I likely have to drop the crossmember to repair properly.

I've got beaucoup $$ invested already and so I can't just walk away from this. The front floor pans had the rusted areas cut out and new sheet metal welded in, same for the inner fender areas.

I was thinking I need to drop the engine cradle to have better access and then sandblast both rails to see what I've got left.

I'm hoping some of you have been in my position or worse - I'm just sick to my stomach right now that I didn't notice this 2 years ago :(

2 pics of the problem area and a pic of the car right now with only 100,000 kms - 60,000 miles

raccoon
04-06-2010, 07:53 PM
rebuild the whole thing, patches are just that. :)

54inches
04-06-2010, 08:20 PM
The rest of the car has rust on the floor panels, rust on the fender wells, and it looks like the previous owner kissed the passenger side on a guard rail (small dent all the way from front fender to rear quarter)

Well as far as worth the time and money, I'm collecting parts for the drivetrain. So getting another clean omni to make a clone might be the easiest way. But I dunno I was hoping you guys would sway me one way or the other:)

Ummmmm, I think it is fixable, BUT switching VIN plates would be easier. :D
1 - 1/16" drill,
2 - 1/16" rivets.:thumb:

omni_840
04-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Omniac,

Sorry to see you are faced with the same problem as me......

After looking at your pics, the rails don't look unfixable:)

I would cut ALL the rot out and find a donor omni to "borrow" the rails from or just make your own rails.

Good luck and your upcoming project!

omni_840
04-06-2010, 09:44 PM
1 - 1/16" drill,

I agree the amount of rust under my car was crazy:thumb:

Aries_Turbo
04-06-2010, 10:24 PM
yeah that looks fixable.

i would chop the floor between the rails to get inside them and then plate the outside real good while coating the inside and then tack the sheetmetal overtop of the channel when done.

Brian

omniac
04-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Omniac,

I would cut ALL the rot out and find a donor omni to "borrow" the rails from or just make your own rails.

Good luck and your upcoming project!

Finding a donor omni without rust issues here in Atlantic Canada - that's funny - I'm having it looked at later today - likely just have to cut out the old and weld in the new - good this it's not a GLHS - I don't mind some homemade fabrication if it gets me another 5-7 years of driving

ps.....omni_840: did you ever get yours fixed ?

omni_840
04-07-2010, 09:13 AM
ps.....omni_840: did you ever get yours fixed ?

No, I just kept finding more and more.....:(

I eventually found another GLH :nod:

But your rust is like 1/32 the amount I found on my rails

omniac
04-07-2010, 09:29 AM
No, I just kept finding more and more.....:(

I eventually found another GLH :nod:

But your rust is like 1/32 the amount I found on my rails

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress - I can't walk away from it now - it might just mean I can't afford to drive it this year while I save up $$ for a repair

Dusty_Duster
04-07-2010, 09:30 AM
1 - 1/16" drill,

Isn't that illegal? :confused:

I like the tube-frame chassis idea, along with a RWD conversion, a 360 Magnum, and a 727 Torqueflite. :eyebrows:

raccoon
04-07-2010, 01:13 PM
^^ rwd

ding ding ding! this car is a perfect candidate! the rest of it looks really nice. just cut the bottom off and go from there. :thumb:

54inches
04-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Isn't that illegal? :confused:

I like the tube-frame chassis idea, along with a RWD conversion, a 360 Magnum, and a 727 Torqueflite. :eyebrows:

Only if you get caught.

Many of COPO cars were "saved" by finding a similar modeled base and trading frames and VINs.

Why crush a car and destroying a piece of history when you can delicately change the plates and restore a piece of history.

It's all in how you spin it. :D

Turbozcs2003
04-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Sounds like you can fix it by replacing the frames.

How are the rest of hte floors??

Sad part is, a couple of cans of this stuff sprayed in the subframe back when would have prevent that

http://www.fluid-film.com/

Opening up an old thread as I've just been presented with some bad news. I thought the right front frame rail on my 1986 GLHT wasn't too bad, but after further review you can see from the photos it is not just minor.

When doing some work on it 2 years ago I welded a small patch on a small rust area. Now come to find out there are more areas with holes and it has even rusted out through to the other side of the rail on the lower section - meaning I likely have to drop the crossmember to repair properly.

I've got beaucoup $$ invested already and so I can't just walk away from this. The front floor pans had the rusted areas cut out and new sheet metal welded in, same for the inner fender areas.

I was thinking I need to drop the engine cradle to have better access and then sandblast both rails to see what I've got left.

I'm hoping some of you have been in my position or worse - I'm just sick to my stomach right now that I didn't notice this 2 years ago :(

2 pics of the problem area and a pic of the car right now with only 100,000 kms - 60,000 miles

omniac
04-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Replacing the frames....well yeah that would work if they actually still made them OR I could actually locate rust free ones from a 25 year old car here in the rust belt of Canada !!