PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding a 41TE

lametec
08-08-2008, 02:21 PM
A friend of mine is rebuilding the 41TE out of his '96 Caravan. In
taking the input drum apart, he didn't take note of which direction
the lip seals were installed. Why would he? It should be covered in
ATSG rebuild manual and Chrysler FSM. Well, it isn't for some reason.

So what he needs to know is which way to the tapered "lip seals" go
on the input shaft hub. There's one seal on the "protrusion" (for
lack of a better work), as well as one down on the inside. Do they go so that the taper makes it easy to slide the parts together, or the opposite way so that you have to make sure you don't fold the seal over?

There's also one or two between the OD/Reverse piston and the input
clutch retainer if I'm not mistaken.

Any help would be appreciated.

turbovanmanČ
08-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Think like fluid, if you put the taper so the drum slides together, where is the fluid going to go? correct, right past the seal, so the taper will face in so when the fluid pushes against the seal, it will be pushed out and the lip will do its job. To install the seal, you either use a special cone type tool or use a small screwdriver/pick/feeler guage and carefully push the seal in as you wiggle the seal. DO NOT NICK it or your in deep do do.

lametec
08-08-2008, 03:36 PM
That's what I was trying to do, but I wasn't the one that took it apart, so I wasn't sure exactly how it went together.

I'll have another look at it when I stop by his place tomorrow to drop off the assembly lube, and I'll pretend to be the fluid. ;)

Rampage16V
12-10-2008, 01:28 PM
with the input clutch assembly in a vice input shaft down all lip seals the lip points down

Racerstev
12-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Shouldn't they be the D seals?

Rampage16V
12-11-2008, 03:22 AM
nope d seals are in the 2-4 and LR clutch pistons (holding)

lametec
12-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks Dean.

A little late, though. Transmission has been successfully put back together and the van has been sold. :)