PDA

View Full Version : Not acheiving full boost

fastfour
03-17-2006, 11:50 AM
I have a 1992 Dodge Spirit ES Turbo T1 I had no boost when I got the car because the wastegate actuator rod was disconected from the turbo. I fixed that problem but now I don't think I'm getting full boost, and it sounds like there's an exaust leak, could a bad exaust donut be the problem? Please help!

Clay
03-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Do you actually know how much boost your getting??

Need a boost gauge before you can say your not getting full boost.

clay

wallace
03-17-2006, 02:52 PM
How did you re-attach the wastegate rod? I had the same problem on my mini and my "fix" didn't last long. Your cat might be plugged and that may be the exhaust leak....would also explain no boost.

JDAWG
03-17-2006, 03:08 PM
unplug the wastegate and let it fly up to overboost, not advisable without proper gauges though

cordes
03-17-2006, 04:26 PM
+1 on getting a boost gauge. Anything else is just a shot in the dark.

Dave
03-18-2006, 08:00 AM
Unplug the vaccum line going to the wastegate... GRADUALLY get into the gas then mat it once up in higher RPMs. If not then you will shoot up to about 20psi for about a second then it will cut out at 14.7psi.

Trust me if you're not getting full boost, this will tell you if you are. You'll feel it. ;)

daytonajesse
03-19-2006, 10:45 PM
You could have lost the v-clamp on your mitsu turbo, happened to me a few times now. Thats the clamp that holds the compressor section on the turbo.

Dave
03-24-2006, 10:28 AM
You could have lost the v-clamp on your mitsu turbo, happened to me a few times now. Thats the clamp that holds the compressor section on the turbo.

He wouldn't be leaking boost out the center housing... lol it would be looking oil and coolant. Also if he was the exhaust would be tremendously louder as that's where the leak might be, but it's pretty tight in there, I don't think exhaust would come out of the center housing due to the fact that both housings don't move much when that happens.

daytonajesse
03-24-2006, 11:33 AM
I lost the clamp on my turbo, and didnt leak any oil or coolant. All it did leak was boost and or possibly exhaust hard to tell the difference at 15 psi 4000rpm. It's happened to many people.

Dave
03-28-2006, 01:50 AM
I lost the clamp on my turbo, and didnt leak any oil or coolant. All it did leak was boost and or possibly exhaust hard to tell the difference at 15 psi 4000rpm. It's happened to many people.

Yah we lost the clamp on our 89 Acclaim... didn't leak any boost... perhaps the housings were still rotted together on mine. :eyebrows:

heavytank2
03-29-2006, 09:27 PM
My hose clamp coming off the compressor outlet snapped right in two. No wonder I was getting the "hiss-whistle" tune.

Shelby5150
03-29-2006, 09:38 PM
My brother's minivan lost the clamp. he was getting around 14 psi of boost and having fun :lol:

daytonajesse
03-29-2006, 10:37 PM
oh yeah it'll still boost, it'll also make lots of noise and overspin the turbo big time. Unless of course your tiny mitsu is rusted enough and covered in enough crud to keep it together! LoL
I found that even though it was still boosting it wasnt as powerful, probably cuz of the turbo overspinning and creating even hotter air.
Another thing I found out was it held boost fine untill my g-valve opened, the WGA was seperating my turbo!