PDA

View Full Version : displacement limits?

superD
03-17-2006, 01:58 AM
i was wondering if anyone offered a stroker kit for a 89 2.2L
if anyone had a link for that would be great.

along with the stroker kit i might be looking into boring out the cylinders. whats the limit on size without pushing it?

if anyone knows of a complete kit (biggers pistons?, crank and rods) a link would be great.

thanks for the help im new to this forum and to the 2.2L :thumb:

butchsuppe
03-17-2006, 02:48 AM
All you need is a 2.5 crank + pistons, I,m doing that at the moment to a 89 T2 motor. .020 over, forged wiscos, ARP studs+bolts, total seal gapless rings the 2.2 + the 2.5 use the same rods. The T2 rods are stronger, Chris at TU has the pistons + T2 rods, you,ll need to get a crank at the junkyard lol

tryingbe
03-17-2006, 08:03 PM
You got a lot of learn. You can start here.
Just so you know, from 89 and on, Turbo or N/A 2.2L or 2.5L uses all the SAME block. Only crank, rods, and pistons are different.

http://www.thedodgeagarage.com
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/

2.216VTurbo
03-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Hey superD I told you to come here and READ READ READ remember:p Also you may or may not have a common block TC, look next to the oil filter twards the passenger side, is there a roughly triangular metal plate with two bolts going through it? If so you do not have the common block. Building a 2.5 would be starting from scratch. Basic mods first ;)

GLHSKEN
03-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Exactly.. Do not underestimate a 2.2L.. They rev better and still make enough torque to blow the tires away at 65+ freeway speeds. Play a bit. Turn things up a bit and see.

The replacement for displacement is the snail under the hood..

SpoolinGLH
03-18-2006, 02:04 AM
You got a lot of learn. You can start here.
Just so you know, from 89 and on, Turbo or N/A 2.2L or 2.5L uses all the SAME block. Only crank, rods, and pistons are different.

http://www.thedodgeagarage.com
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/

Rods are the same:thumb:

LynX853
03-18-2006, 03:14 PM
there is no replacement for displacement.:amen: even with a turbo. and dont let anyone tell you that you cant make a 2.5 rev, cause thats just wrong. If someone tells you its a "proven fact" then their proven dumb. :eyebrows: with the right mods a 2.5 will rock and rock hard. I agree on doing basic mods first. exhaust, playing around with boost, turbos, exhaust housings, timing ect. but if you want to make your motor into a 2.5 GO FOR IT. its well worth it.:thumb:

tryingbe
03-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Rods are the same:thumb:

Unless you mean N/A and turbo rods are the same...

You might want to read what I wrote again.

:nod:

GLHSKEN
03-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Lol... Anything is possible with the right $$$... Dyno plots don't lie... look at the results.

MOD for MOD, a 2.5L torque curve drops off faster up top than a 2.2L... 2.2's will blow the hides off a car down low just as easily...

If there is no replacement for displacement, why does my car blow the doors off 300CI V-8's??

GLHSKEN
03-18-2006, 07:12 PM
What stroker engine revs like it's counter part?? You build strokers for torque, not hp. The 2.5L is a stroked 2.2.

I guess I'm just dumb...

Ondonti
03-18-2006, 09:49 PM
I like my displacement.

tryingbe
03-19-2006, 01:11 AM
MOD for MOD, a 2.5L torque curve drops off faster up top than a 2.2L... 2.2's will blow the hides off a car down low just as easily...

Since both uses the same head and stock head is known to be very limited, of course the 2.5L is going to max out the head faster and torque curve would drop off earlier than 2.2L. I want a 2.5L with a good flowing head....

From Thedodgegarage.com

"The Ultimate Daytona- 2.5 16V Turbo Intercooled

92 Daytona from sales flyer

"It was called the "Ultimate Daytona" and built for Bob Lutz. Mainly built for the autobahn from what I heard. It was a 1990 2.5L bottom end w/ Turbo IV production rods, and production 2.5L pistons. The only trick piece was a billet copy of the stock 2.5L crank made by Valasco. The cylinder head was all production Turbo III. The turbocharger used was a Mitsubishi TD06 turbocharger - the same unit that is on the GMC Syclone Pickup. They used 50% higher flow methanol injectors and the fuel pressure was set to 55psi. The boost starts out at 14 psi and ramps, beginning at about 5200 rpm to a final figure of 19 psi at 5850 rpm. The engine used twin stock Turbo III intercoolers. This engine had the potential of spinning at 7000 rpm and pump out over 426 horsepower. When the engine was in the car it reached a speed of 155 mph, but it was estimated to go to 170 - 180 mph. Zero to sixty times were estimated at low 5's to high 4's with quarter mile numbers registering high 12's to low 13's."

There were two phases to the ultimate Daytona project-

Phase I was with a basic 2.5 shortblock with the Lotus hardware, factory intercooler & turbo bolted on it, at 14 psi it made 255 hp and 252 ft/lbs of torque.

Phase II used the billet crank, TD06 turbo, dual intercoolers & larger injectors listed above AND a $70,000 prototype cam phaser that could alter intake cam timing on the fly while driving down the road. It made 305 hp at 5200 rpm and 290 ft/lbs or torque- A low torque number due to the fact the boost was kept low till the engine was over it's torque peek to keep the transaxle from blowing itself to bits.

After Lutz was done driving the car it was returned to engineering, raced once at Milan dragway by Dave Zelkowski (It ran a best of 13.40 @ 104mph) then dismantled and crushed."