PDA

View Full Version : exterior paint, por-15?

Nemesismachine
08-03-2008, 09:41 PM
For those of us going for the "I don't give a fork about the exterior of my car," has anyone used por-15? I personally don't care, and the rolled on look might look kinda neat. I am not trying to win any shows, just have a badass little sleeper. Your take?

iTurbo
08-03-2008, 09:53 PM
The POR-15 is UV sensitive and will break down in direct sunlight unless it's top coated. Personally I wouldn't do it. It sticks very well to seasoned/rusty surfaces, but if you strip down to the sheetmetal the surface will probably be too smooth for good adhesion. On a smooth shiny metal surface it tends to peel off in sheets, even if you do all the prep.

Nemesismachine
08-03-2008, 10:53 PM
aha. nevermind then. too good to be a good idea. :) Earl Shives, here I come.

Thanks!

Mopar318
08-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Single stage satin black FTW. Yes its a actual paint...not primer. It has UV protection, and washes just like normal paint.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d48/Mopar318/flatblack004-1.jpg

Tony Hanna
08-04-2008, 12:27 AM
The POR-15 is UV sensitive and will break down in direct sunlight unless it's top coated. Personally I wouldn't do it. It sticks very well to seasoned/rusty surfaces, but if you strip down to the sheetmetal the surface will probably be too smooth for good adhesion. On a smooth shiny metal surface it tends to peel off in sheets, even if you do all the prep.

^+1
I've had this happen before.

Single stage satin black FTW. Yes its a actual paint...not primer. It has UV protection, and washes just like normal paint.

That or flat black Rustoleum. Buy it by the gallon, thin it with mineral spirits and shoot it out of a regular paint gun. It looks nice, but the only down side is that it lays wet a little longer than automotive paint, so you'll want to paint in a fairly clean garage and walk away for a day or three before you fool with it.
Then again, I doubt dirt nibs are going to be very noticeable in flat black anyway.:)

Anonymous_User
08-04-2008, 03:24 AM
+1 to Rustoleum. I've shot three cars with it. One was my brothers pickup years ago. Mixed up some battleship gray. It really held up well over the years and looked decent too!

Tony Hanna
08-04-2008, 03:54 AM
+1 to Rustoleum. I've shot three cars with it. One was my brothers pickup years ago. Mixed up some battleship gray. It really held up well over the years and looked decent too!

What do you thin with when you spray it? I'm kind of curious to see if I can find something that will keep it from laying wet for so long.

Nemesismachine
08-04-2008, 10:11 AM
I have flattener, so it can be gloss when I shoot it, doesn't matter. I'll just flatten the clear and be set. I have a lot of por-15 left, thats why I ask.

contraption22
08-04-2008, 10:24 AM
You know, Duplicolor now sells all-in one pre-mixed quarts in their Paint Shop line.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/paintshop.html

t3rse
08-04-2008, 10:30 AM
John Deere flat black, same as Napa flat stuff, 30 a gallon

89ShelbyGuy
08-04-2008, 10:56 AM
If you want cheap paint, get the dupli color paint shop crap, thats what i used, thinking it would be alittle better..HAHA, look at the pic below, thats painted in it...total paint job probally cost around 250 in paint.

Its a laqeur based paint. i'll never use it again though....but then again, i was trying to paint it to make it look good...2 stage here I come!

mcsvt
08-04-2008, 12:26 PM

I love satin black! I was considering that for a project car, or possibly another satin color. Did you paint it yourself?

I may be picking up an aircompressor soon, I'd like to get one capable of paint... If I "tarped" off my shed it would be a decent paint booth.

Nemesismachine
08-04-2008, 12:47 PM
I painted the omni flat black, but wanted a better top coat for the final. May just flat clear the primer.

crusty shadow
08-11-2008, 01:55 AM
orielly's sells Nasson(DuPonts economy line) factory packs- everything to spray a car in one kit. only avaliable in 26 colors, but you get everything, gallon of paint, reducer and activator- 119.00, all of em can be cleared if you want, just add 99 bucks. lot better then the dupli color stuff.

89ShelbyGuy
08-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Nasson eh? they sell it in kits now..interesting...i could probally agree with you on that one, it IS better the that dupli color bull crap..lol...thanks for the info.

SupaMan
08-20-2008, 02:12 AM
I have brushed on POR 15 on my omni on the window frames for the doors and the B pillar its holding up fine for being outside everyday in florida sun for the past 6 months.