PDA

View Full Version : Cat or no Cat?

Mike_Shepard
08-03-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm getting my car back together finally 1989 Daytona Shelby. I've got my head on and t2 with .63 exh house, 3" SV and 3" down pipe but there is like 2-3" gap between the DP and my cat convert.
I've got a 6" long 3" flex pipe I need to install which will cover my 2-3" but then I'll need to move some things. It looks like I cant come toward the front of the car with the flex pipe due to bends in the DP so I'll have to go towards the rear.
I can add the flex after the DP and move the cat back and add a small pipe to make up the difference, OR I can just remove the cat all together and add a longer pipe.

What do you guys think here? Also does anyone have audio of a 8v with and without cats?

Mike_Shepard
08-03-2008, 04:27 PM
I'll also add that there is no emissions anywhere around me so thats not an issue. I am however concerned about overall noise. It was a wee it loud with the 3" with cat

black86glhs
08-03-2008, 09:11 PM
I'll also add that there is no emissions anywhere around me so thats not an issue.
You lucky bugger. Up here in the north I have to E-check mine. BTW, you can remove the cat no problem. Without the cat, it will be louder. Ask anyone who has heard the Daytona Jackson had at Carlisle.:thumb:

Ondonti
08-03-2008, 09:14 PM
it will be way louder without the cat.

cordes
08-03-2008, 10:38 PM
I really don't mind my shadow with straight through muffler and no cat. Unless you like it really quite, I don't think it will be a big deal.

Mike_Shepard
08-03-2008, 11:22 PM
I think I'll just use the cat, Now that I think about it I've heard some with no cat and they sound good but they seem a little loud . I'm just gonna figure something else out. Thanks guys

turbovanmanČ
08-04-2008, 12:17 AM
Depends on the cat, I ran a Walker Supercat and it took alot of noise out, I know run a Magnaflow Stainless core and it didn't take any noise out.

moparzrule
08-04-2008, 06:18 AM
^Yup. Depends on what CAT and what muffler you are running.

Mike_Shepard
08-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Well the exhaust is from FM And I assume the cat is their high flow. I Think I read that they use magna flow mufflers but I could be wrong

badandy
08-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Well the exhaust is from FM And I assume the cat is their high flow. I Think I read that they use magna flow mufflers but I could be wrong
I believe it's probably an ATR muffler as that's what mine is and FM is where it came from.

JuXsA
08-05-2008, 12:52 PM
you could always put some dynamat in the trunk. from what I hear that takes alot of noise out of the cabin.

turbovanmanČ
08-05-2008, 12:54 PM

There are different types and styles of high flows, I bet you have the regular one which will muffle the noise a bit. Mines a bullet style, very small.

shadow88
08-05-2008, 08:56 PM
I'd vote for installing a cat, only because I can't stand the smell.

moparzrule
08-05-2008, 09:44 PM
What??? I hate the smell the CAT puts off....YUCK!

dds78910
08-06-2008, 12:31 AM
When I pulled the cat off my spirit there wasnt any change in the tone, I was kind of bummed. I was hoping it would sound a little meaner. It did sound cool when you got on it, there wasnt much tone at all, just a loud SWOOSH coming out the tail pipe, like a massive amount of airflow coming out but still kind of quiet. My friends really liked it.

supercrackerbox
08-06-2008, 05:04 AM
I have a full 3" system on the Charger with an ATR Pitbull muffler and no cat. It is fairly loud, but it's a deep mellow tone, not what I'd call irritating. Sounds killer at WOT I think.

moparzrule
08-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Nothing sounds better at WOT than straight pipe.

These engines don't even sound like 4 cylinders with straight pipe.

amcpacer
08-12-2008, 05:46 PM
I do not run a cat at the moment and I hate it. The smell of unburned hydrocarbons is terrible. With a cat there was no smell at all. If your cat stinks then perhaps you are running way too rich or your gasoline has too much sulfur in it.

I cant wait to get a cat installed.

BadAssPerformance
08-12-2008, 07:10 PM
No cat, especially if you don't have an e-check ;)