PDA

View Full Version : rear shocks: koni vs. kyb gas-a-just

turboz523
08-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Has anyone used both of these? Obviously the konis will be better, but they don't make them anymore and I haven't been able to locate any. I know I can weld spacers on the rear shock mounts and make pt cruiser konis fit, however I'm looking to do some scca racing in my daytona and the class I want to run in I can't "alter" the shock mounting location, but any spring is allowed. I have koni coilovers w/ 300lb springs for the front. But I don't know if the gas-a-just's would be good enough to handle that high of a spring rate in the rear? Anyone have any suggestions?

iTurbo
08-03-2008, 03:02 PM
I haven't run the Konis personally, BUT, I do have the Gas-A-Just with Eibach springs on the rear of my SL and I'm very happy with the combo. Very firm and not bouncy at all. Tirerack.com has GAJ shocks on sale for $36 at the moment..

tryingbe
08-03-2008, 04:14 PM
I had gas-a-just and am now with Koni. It's not even a completion.

turboz523
08-03-2008, 06:23 PM
do you mean not even close? and what springs are you running?

Vigo
08-04-2008, 09:21 AM
i wanna hear more about the pt cruiser koni thing...

i have gaj's and they are DEFINITELY a good deal for $30 something bucks each.

contraption22
08-04-2008, 10:10 AM
I only wish the GAJ line was available for struts. They really are great dampers for the money.

turboz523
08-04-2008, 10:19 AM
pt cruiser shocks are approx. 3" shorter than the k-based car rear shocks. The metal eyelet thats in the bushing at each end of the shock would need to be pressed out and use the eyelet from the k-based shock. To make up the 3" difference, I found a set of shock tabs from S&W Race Cars that can be welded on top of the existing shock tabs and the shock would work fine.

The reason I'm thinking about not doing that now is because in the scca rulebook for the class I want to run states that you can run any shock but it must mount in the factory location.

tryingbe
08-04-2008, 10:50 AM
do you mean not even close? and what springs are you running?

Eibach springs.

Koni are firmer than Gas-A-Just and adjustable for the rebounce.

But when Koni are no longer available, get whatever you can.

Vigo
08-04-2008, 01:49 PM
well, if they are only 3 inches shorter, i would think that would mean i could use them since im probably lowered over 2-3 inches in the rear. sounds awesome!

Ondonti
08-18-2008, 06:58 AM
I only wish the GAJ line was available for struts. They really are great dampers for the money.

We really get screwed in the strut department.

turbovanmanČ
08-18-2008, 01:27 PM
The reason I'm thinking about not doing that now is because in the scca rulebook for the class I want to run states that you can run any shock but it must mount in the factory location.

Is a spacer or adapter allowed? you just need to make a metal adapter to lengthen the shocks.

turboz523
08-19-2008, 07:48 AM
yeah I'm going to look into that once I start racing, I put on the gas-a-justs for now, and they are a huge improvement from the gr-2's that I had. Once I get into the racing and do a few events I'll start asking around and seeing who I need to talk to about that, the rulebook isn't specific about that. I'm pretty sure that I could do that since the only thing in the rulebook is "shocks must retain original mounting location" and they would using an adapter.

black86glhs
08-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Yeah, definitely ask about spacers. You technically will be using the original shock mounting locations, just an adapter to mount a shock. The wonderful grey area of rules...lol.

turbovanmanČ
08-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Yeah, definitely ask about spacers. You technically will be using the original shock mounting locations, just an adapter to mount a shock. The wonderful grey area of rules...lol.

Just think, NASCAR, :eyebrows:

JonsGottaDusta
08-19-2008, 05:56 PM
How are the Koni's adjustable? I have a set on the rear of my car and am fed up with the insanely harsh ride... i also have the eibach -1" springs.

tryingbe
08-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Make them re-bounce more.

turbovanmanČ
08-19-2008, 06:43 PM
How are the Koni's adjustable? I have a set on the rear of my car and am fed up with the insanely harsh ride... i also have the eibach -1" springs.

You have to remove them and then if I recall, push down the shock and rotate it. Check out the Koni website, they will tell you.

turboz523
08-20-2008, 07:34 AM
I'll trade you a set of stock shelby z springs and brand new kyb gas-a-justs for the konis and eibachs to help you with that too firm of a ride!!:)