PDA

View Full Version : K-frame (crossmember) swap...how do you get the front frame bolts/nut undone?

zer0321
08-03-2008, 01:05 AM
I have a '92 daytona iroc that I am swapping k-frames with a '93 daytona and I cannot get the front bolts off of the crossmember...

I have everything undone, have it supported with a jack....but I cannot get the front bolts out of the crossmember...it seems as though the nuts in the frame are just spinning!

I have tried PB Blaster, various box end wrenches (3/4" seems too big, 11/16ths too small!) needles nose vice grips- and I still cant get the damn thing apart!

does anyone have any tricks to getting this done?

turbovanmanČ
08-03-2008, 01:19 AM
Ok, what has happened is the nut which is attached to a u-clip has broken off, so you have a few choices. Try to get some vice grips in there, barring that, you'll need a cutting torch and cut the nut out, then get some new U-clips or drill the head off.

Directconnection
08-03-2008, 01:36 AM
Or.... do as I did: you may have just a tad bit of clearance ebwteen the K frame and the mounting points, right? A sawzall blade will fit nicely in between, but use it with caution. Worked perfectly for me!

turbovanmanČ
08-03-2008, 01:37 AM
Or.... do as I did: you may have just a tad bit of clearance ebwteen the K frame and the mounting points, right? A sawzall blade will fit nicely in between, but use it with caution. Worked perfectly for me!

Or that, didn't have a sawzall back in the day, lol!

inmyshadow
08-03-2008, 08:06 AM
You should be able to get a box wrench on the broken free nuts.

later

Turbo3Iroc
08-03-2008, 07:41 PM
I have a shorty wrench that fits in there perfect. I think it's 18 mm. Buy a cheapo wrench and chop it if it won't fit.

beeblebrox82
03-05-2012, 09:43 AM

that works: I know- I've seen me do it!

RoadWarrior222
03-05-2012, 10:27 AM
I seem to recall it's not too difficult to get a box end wrench in there, but yah, our sh!t is metric... apart from when it isn't... I think I did it before I broke the retaining plate, just 'coz I expected to...

For a sitch like this where you're trying to preserve parts and don't wanna cut into one or the other if you can help it, you can sometimes, when the nut is a decent size, drill down close to the bolt with a tungsten or nitride 1/8 bit, through the nut and stake it with a hard nail, or hard steel dowel... tricky though if access isn't good.... it's usually easier to "customise" cheap wrenches.... a good case for not throwing your old crap out when you get good new tools, just save it for cutting up or grinding down, or for making low profile T-Bar wrenches out of sockets.

omni_840
03-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Zombie thread:D

Atleast I learned something new already this morning:)

RoadWarrior222
03-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Gah, yeah, welcome to 5 years ago... wonder if he got it off yet :D

beeblebrox82
03-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Peas and Rice! it was down at the bottom of the thread I started so I clicked to look at the problem to see if was similar. Didn't look at the dates. Hah!