PDA

View Full Version : 96 Talon Questions??

Diabloed
03-16-2006, 11:29 PM
I have a chance to buy a 96 Eagle Talon N/A for $500 only thing wrong that I know of is the tranny is on it's last leg.

My question is how much does a decent tranny go for on one of those cars? How hard are they to replace compared to our TM's?

Any one have a rough idea what the Talons are going for these days "in decent shape"

8valves
03-16-2006, 11:41 PM
Being that it's an ESi, the resale isn't going to be as high as the desireable to gearheads TSi models. You could probably make a couple hundred on it without a problem though.

However, in a 2G (which this is since it's a 96) the clutch isn't as easy as a TD, but it's not the worlds worst job. In my opinion once you've done one FWD clutch you've done them all, just change how long it takes and the stress level.

I've done FWD 4G63 clutches, but the motor/trans is so different it's not a good comparison. I can tell you from a viewpoint of chassis space/contrcition, I'd rate it about a 6.5 on a 1-10, 10 being the worst and absolutely horrible (think 300GT/Stealth, or the absolute worst, SVT Contours).

Aaron Miller

Diabloed
03-17-2006, 12:03 AM
sorry I forgot to say it was an auto... any idea on prices...even for a rebuild or a JY special?

WVRampage
03-17-2006, 12:07 AM
I pulled and 2 wheel drive 4G63 5 speed and it wasnt to hard it was a 91 laser and i wouldnt think the auto would be to much harder but it is harder than a TD

8valves
03-17-2006, 12:17 AM
I pulled and 2 wheel drive 4G63 5 speed and it wasnt to hard it was a 91 laser and i wouldnt think the auto would be to much harder but it is harder than a TD

A 91 is a 1G, 100% different and 10 times easier to work around. We can do fwd 1G clutch R&R's in about 1.5 hours start to finish, and only get under the car to pull axles, the rest, including the actual removal of the trans, can be done from above the car.

With the 2G being an auto, I have no idea what it would cost price wise, or how difficult it would be. I've never dealt with one of those awful wastes of a perfectly good chassis that could've had a 4G63 and awd. :p

Aaron Miller

WVRampage
03-17-2006, 09:50 AM
A 91 is a 1G, 100% different and 10 times easier to work around. We can do fwd 1G clutch R&R's in about 1.5 hours start to finish, and only get under the car to pull axles, the rest, including the actual removal of the trans, can be done from above the car.

With the 2G being an auto, I have no idea what it would cost price wise, or how difficult it would be. I've never dealt with one of those awful wastes of a perfectly good chassis that could've had a 4G63 and awd. :p

Aaron Miller

Sorry I didnt knwo the 1g nd 2g was so much different but yes they all should have the 4G63 and awd.

shadow88
03-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Is it a jap tranny or an A-604? The names of the cars change alot on the other side of the border. HERE a 96 talon would be an FJ body shared with OUR 2 door sebring and avenger. If that's what you have, I would think it's an A-604. And aside from removing the lower rad support and holding up the rad/condenser with a bungee cord, they aren't all that bad. If it is a 604, I'm sure it could be rebuildable as well.