PDA

View Full Version : Interesting torque strut kit from Moog...

ShelGame
03-16-2006, 10:32 PM
I found this Moog torque strut kit on eBay for ~$15 and thought I'd give it a try to see if I could use any of it to make a torque strut for my A413/Daytona. Has anyone else ever seen or used this kit before?

I doubt I'll use the damper - I'll just put a solid link in it's place. But the bracket looks good. Looks like it'll simply replace the support bracket from the engine to the trans. Don't know if it'll line up with the bracket on the k-frame, but I'll find out this weekend. The kit says it's for '84, 2.2L, non-turbo engines, but I don't see why it won't work fine on a turbo engine, that support bracket is the same I'm pretty sure.

Anyway, I bought it from AuctionFrontier on eBay. They sell a ton of old car parts for next to nothing, in case someone else wants to try and find one of these...

ShelGame
03-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Here is the kit installed. Gotta love Ma Mopar - too stubborn to evolve these cars much. Eventhough the kit was intended for '82-84 non-turbo K-Cars, it fit my '89 Daytona perfectly.

For now, I'm going to use the Moog torque strut. It seems very stiff. It only moves ~1/8" with me pulling as I can.

It's different from the stock torque strut in that it's in tension instead of compression...

5sp. mini
03-18-2006, 02:33 PM
looks like the ones we used on the x body gm car in the early 80. AL

Turbodave
03-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Interesting, I've never seen that kit before.

Wink
03-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Those pics almost look as if you could use Polybushings.com solid dogbone trans mount for the Omni. Now wouldn't that be something?

Wink

BadAssPerformance
03-18-2006, 08:24 PM
interesting kit... the bolts attaching it to the K Member look a little small but are probably ok. Speaking of the K Member, where's your little air deflector sheild at?

"Top Fuel" Bender
03-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Those pics almost look as if you could use Polybushings.com solid dogbone trans mount for the Omni. Now wouldn't that be something?

Wink

Not sure how it would effect a car with the front mount still in
But when I elliminated the front mount and did a similar thing on my omni the solid horizontal rod made a huge pivot point on the back of the motor
Instead of keeping the motor from twisting it lifted the motor out of the engine bay
first time I drove the car I thought I was going to rip out all of John's Poly mounts with the thing
Now I have all solid mounts

ShelGame
03-18-2006, 09:49 PM

Wink

I have a stock solid dogbone, but it's too short by about an inch. If the Polybushings parts was adjustable, maybe.

ShelGame
03-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Not sure how it would effect a car with the front mount still in
But when I elliminated the front mount and did a similar thing on my omni the solid horizontal rod made a huge pivot point on the back of the motor
Instead of keeping the motor from twisting it lifted the motor out of the engine bay
first time I drove the car I thought I was going to rip out all of John's Poly mounts with the thing
Now I have all solid mounts

Why would you take the front mount out? I left it in...

ShelGame
03-18-2006, 09:50 PM
interesting kit... the bolts attaching it to the K Member look a little small but are probably ok. Speaking of the K Member, where's your little air deflector sheild at?

What air deflector? Actually, that's what the bracket is supposed to mount over. I took it off. The car is for the track only. It'll have plenty of time to cool down between runs.

BadAssPerformance
03-19-2006, 03:48 AM
yeah, that air deflector... more important for street cars for sure.

turbovanmanČ
03-19-2006, 04:43 AM
yeah, that air deflector... more important for street cars for sure.

Why? Where does it deflect air too?

"Top Fuel" Bender
03-19-2006, 10:22 AM
What air deflector? Actually, that's what the bracket is supposed to mount over. I took it off. The car is for the track only. It'll have plenty of time to cool down between runs.

Because I removed the whole front radiator support
1 It was flexing so bad that it cracked prett well through
2 too much extra weight for a drag only car
3 your package finally went out on Sat. :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
03-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Why? Where does it deflect air too?

The air deflector that is bolted to the center of the front of the k-member which I beleive is to help flush heat from the turbo out of the engine compartment.

turbovanmanČ
03-19-2006, 02:56 PM
The air deflector that is bolted to the center of the front of the k-member which I beleive is to help flush heat from the turbo out of the engine compartment.

Hmmmmmmmm, I never would have thought of that, :confused: lol!

Mines long gone. I figured it was to keep the rack cooler and protect it from the turbo heat?

Can someone post the part number, everytime I click on it, it shows up as not available and locks up my computer?

Wink
03-19-2006, 04:25 PM
I've got one from my shadow. It's already removed. If you need it, PM me.

Wink

ShelGame
03-19-2006, 09:09 PM
Because I removed the whole front radiator support
1 It was flexing so bad that it cracked prett well through
2 too much extra weight for a drag only car
3 your package finally went out on Sat. :thumb:

I'm drawing a blank - which package?