PDA

View Full Version : Manual Steering Rack Inner Tie Rods

Reeves
07-31-2008, 09:39 PM
At SDAC this year my manual steering racks inner bushing fell out. Big Thanks to all that helped me band aid it the night before drag race day. We basically pushed it back in and crimped the end of the rack so it couldn't come back out.

Tonight I took the boot back off to take a look at our handy work. Well, it still doesn't look like it's going anywhere...but it still has some play where the bushing is worn. Big Thanks to Tim Costello for getting me some new bushings to install. I figured I could just take the inner tie rod off, slip out the old bushing, install the new bushing, then put the proper clip back in. Well, I can't figure out how the inner tie rods come off! I've done plenty of power racks, but the inner tie rods always have flats on them that I can use my Omaha Metric wrench on (crescent wrench). This one doesn't have anything and it's very short. Anyone have experience with this?

"Top Fuel" Bender
07-31-2008, 10:27 PM
personally nothing like that one on the older cars but a few of the newer cars come completely round
snap-on as well as others sell a tool that looks like a ring with 3 "toothed cams" that grab on the outside of the tierod

I've had cars that tool won't fit so a big pair of channel locks or pipe wrench did the job
just be careful not to wreck the rack