PDA

View Full Version : No Power past 2500rpm

CDNTurboZ
03-16-2006, 12:21 AM
It seems like my car has no power at all past 2500 rpm. I think it is a timing issue, and I want to adjust my cam timing.
I am also thinking this may be related my gas mileage problem as well

I read on thedodgegarage.com how to do it but I have a few quick questions (these are most likely very trivial to most of you but please bare with me:o ):

How do I know when the engine is at top dead center?
Where is the timing belt tensioner? or is it a tool that I have to buy?

"Slide the belt back on taking care to do the FRONT side first (which should be snug) and then the rear. After getting the belt back on tug on the belt ON THE BACKSIDE of the motor to make the front part taunt and then use your timing belt adjuster tool to adjust the belt tension." <is that the tool I need?

thanks

dwh4784
03-16-2006, 01:02 AM
There are a few ways to tell when it's a TDC. One way is to get the mark in the tranny to line up with 0, another is when the hole in the cam sprocket is pointing straight up(but yours might be wrong). Or you could stick something in the #1 spark plug hole to feel when it gets all the way to the top.

I've never used a tensioner, if you pop off the little round cover you can tighten it by hand and hold it there while you tighten the bolt at the same time. It's difficult at first, but once you figure out what fingers to hold with and what fingers to wrench with it's not bad.

So what you should do is line up the mark in the tranny, take a look at the cam and see if it's pointing up(keep in mind the engine is tilted back so it's not going to be pointed straight up in the air). Having no power up top sounds like it may be advanced a tooth. Also have you checked the ignition timing?

CDNTurboZ
03-16-2006, 01:06 AM
There are a few ways to tell when it's a TDC. One way is to get the mark in the tranny to line up with 0, another is when the hole in the cam sprocket is pointing straight up(but yours might be wrong). Or you could stick something in the #1 spark plug hole to feel when it gets all the way to the top.

I've never used a tensioner, if you pop off the little round cover you can tighten it by hand and hold it there while you tighten the bolt at the same time. It's difficult at first, but once you figure out what fingers to hold with and what fingers to wrench with it's not bad.

So what you should do is line up the mark in the tranny, take a look at the cam and see if it's pointing up(keep in mind the engine is tilted back so it's not going to be pointed straight up in the air). Having no power up top sounds like it may be advanced a tooth. Also have you checked the ignition timing?

thanks for the clarification