PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Engineering 101...

440trk
03-16-2006, 12:08 AM
Car: 91 Daytona 3.0 5spd.

Ok, so this past weekend I got the front main oil seal replaced, the oil pump rebuilt, and a new timing belt installed. Here's a quickie list of things that made me want to hunt down the engineer and kick his Arse....:lol:

1.) Why didn't they combine the pass. side engine mount plate, and the engine side of that mount into 1 stinkin' mounting bracket?

2.) What's the purpose of having a 3 piece plastic timing belt cover, if you can't remove the rear cam cover without completely disassembling the whole side of the engine first.

3.) Why didn't they leave access room on the 2 transaxle to block brackets, so that you could actually get a 10mm socket in there to unbolt the oil pan bolts.

4.) To remove the last 2 oil pan bolts, you have to drop the transaxle inspection plate....which also require you to pull the starter, loosen the front engine mount, and deal with the brackets in item #3 above.

5.) Crank driven oil pump...GREAT idea! Too bad they couldn't figure outa way to be able to remove the oil pump without removing the oil pan first (also see above 2 items....)

:banghead:

Oh well...at least the oil leak is fixed, and the car is running again. :thumb:

And just for giggles... the leaky front main seal, was loosing approx. 1 qt of oil every 10-12 miles. :eek: I was actually using less GAS than oil. :lol:
:drum:

3rdGen3.0
03-16-2006, 12:46 AM
And just for giggles... the leaky front main seal, was loosing approx. 1 qt of oil every 10-12 miles. :eek: I was actually using less GAS than oil. :lol:
:drum:

you get 40-48 mpg?

440trk
03-16-2006, 01:33 AM
you get 40-48 mpg?

:o Oops! I guess I didn't quite phrase that right.
I meant that I spent less on fuel than oil to go "x" miles.

One gallon of 93 octane cost $2.55 and gets me ~22 mixed driving miles. I used 2 qts of oil in that time (2 qts at $1.80/qt = $3.60)

So.... It sucked to be me for a little while. :p

Sorry 'bout the confusion. :thumb:

Avenger
03-16-2006, 11:29 AM
#1 and #2 have the same explanation: The motor was shared with other Mitsubishi applications, where there is a REAL mount, and the "rear" cam cover is the front. Mopar got cheap and used the 4cyl mount and an adaptor plate instead of designing their own dedicated mount.

#4 Um, don't you have to pull the starter anyway?

Does Chrysler have to do warranty repairs often enough for the engineering changes (and remember, they didn't make the motor!) to be cost effective? Remember, every time you fix the car yourself, you are taking money away from their dealerships! Just look at Ford's approach to owner maintainence and repairs.....

440trk
03-16-2006, 10:35 PM
#1 and #2 have the same explanation: The motor was shared with other Mitsubishi applications, where there is a REAL mount, and the "rear" cam cover is the front. Mopar got cheap and used the 4cyl mount and an adaptor plate instead of designing their own dedicated mount.

#4 Um, don't you have to pull the starter anyway?

Does Chrysler have to do warranty repairs often enough for the engineering changes (and remember, they didn't make the motor!) to be cost effective? Remember, every time you fix the car yourself, you are taking money away from their dealerships! Just look at Ford's approach to owner maintainence and repairs.....

:lol: Yeah, I know WHY they did some of them....I guess it was more of a venting of frustration post.

#4....Actually, IF all the pan bolts were accessible, the starter could have stayed in place. It wasn't really in my way until I went for the last 2 bolts BEHIND the inspection cover, hence necessitating the removal of the starter and inspection cover... :banghead:

I've got no problems wrenching on stuff...I even get some enjoyment out of it from time to tim....I just wish the engineers who design these "brilliant ideas" actually had to WORK on them like in the old days... :D
I'm used to 70's Big Block stuff... :cool:

WVRampage
03-17-2006, 09:42 AM
The mount was run on my moms van when we did all that I dont thing me and my dad have cussed a peice of steel that much on any car.

JDAWG
03-17-2006, 11:15 AM
The mount was run on my moms van when we did all that I dont thing me and my dad have cussed a peice of steel that much on any car.
I have no idea what you just said

Ondonti
03-17-2006, 05:55 PM
The oil pan pisses me off, but thats only because I keep swapping it in and out for my turbo pan. :P Now I dont give the slightest little crap. Taking apart the whold sideof the engine is worst for me because of the a/c unit. Without AC it really isnt that bad besides the stupid Powersteering. I think ive finally got good enough at the PS that it doesnt piss me off so much anymore.

440trk
03-18-2006, 02:37 AM
I managed to leave the alternator and the PS unit hooked up and in the car. As for the PS pump, I only had to undo the 2 from the motor plate and left the rest of the PS pump in place. Removing those 2 bolts sucked, until I realized there was an opening in the PS pulley that would allow a deep well socket (without the ratchet part) in there. Once they were loose, it was easy to remove them. Same with aligning/tightening them back up. :)

Ondonti
03-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Um Im just talking about removing the 2 bolts. I would never remove the whole thing for fun.

WVRampage
03-19-2006, 11:16 PM
I have no idea what you just said
Im sorry about that I would guess I wasnt myself when I said that,The maount on the front of my moms 90 caravan was the hardest thing i have ever worked around I dont think me and my dad have cussed that much over a little peice of steel,we did timing belt,water pump and lifters.

Ondonti
03-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Front mount sucks till you get used to its suckage. pretty soon you will do anything you can to avoid messing with it. Its a lot of busy work.