PDA

View Full Version : VNT Questions

supercrackerbox
03-16-2006, 12:02 AM
Nothing to do with the engine, it's getting a TII swap. ;)

I'm looking at a shell of a '90 VNT Shelby. Now, my question is, everything I have is pretty much setup for an '88- wiring, interior, drivetrain, the whole nine. So I'm mulling over the details here. What year did they change the motor mounts over? Was it '90 or '91? Anyone know what I'd be getting into as far as converting it from SBEC to SMEC? And then the interior- The car has only a partial interior. If I can find the missing stuff, great, but I really like the 84-89 interiors better. I know someone has put a later interior into an earlier car, how about vise-versa?

Whorse
03-16-2006, 12:23 AM
The motor mounts in my car look identical to the ones in my Van, which is an 89. The interior changes in 1990 were a bit more drastic, as a lot of the dash units don't plug in (different connectors), but it is very possible to install an older interior. The seats should line up, and the console with the shifter isn't too hard to modify to fit if it doesn't bolt on (at least in a J body, which isn't far off a G Body).

The Dash and Heads up is the biggest change from 89-90, so it depends what parts of the interior you have.

supercrackerbox
03-16-2006, 09:53 AM
Best I can tell from the pics, it's only missing the seats. Sure that's only four items, but they're kinda big items, lol. Also the leather on the steering wheel is shredded, which is one of those things I'm picky about, especially since I just bought a mint one for my '88. Not to mention I have no clue how to change an airbag wheel. But I guess my biggest concern is making all the interior electronics work with the '88 under hood wiring. I guess I'll have to pick up a set of '90 FSM's and do some research. If I can find good seats and make everything work, maybe I'll keep the current interior.

Did you say this car has a heads up display? Had no idea those were available back then.

One more thing, the radiator support. Was that changed in '90 or '91? Hate to have to completely redesign my IC/Rad setup again.

Whorse
03-16-2006, 04:24 PM
Some had the overhead console, which is what I was getting at. HUD on the windsheild is pretty new. The seats from my 87 and 90 were swappable. I think the 90+ seats are more comfortable, but the pre 89 are a nicer grade of leather and a better look. I would check some of your underhood wiring. I think that in 88 or 89 they switched to the 4 wire O2 sensor, and you'll have to do an SBEC to SMEC swap. The rad/ic setup was somewhat unique to the VNT, but pretty much the same as a T2. What did you have planned for Rad/IC?

supercrackerbox
03-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Okay, I see what you mean. The car is a sunroof car, so I don't know if it got the overhead console or not.

'89 got the four wire O2, and I know the SBEC to SMEC swap is going to be a PITA. But the car comes without it's underhood harness, plus I've already got a TU cal for my current setup. The Rad/IC setup is an NPR with a brand new '86 GLH radiator.

Whorse
03-16-2006, 09:52 PM
If you're doing a custom IC, especially a big one like an NPR, I wouldn't worry about the mounting as it's almost identical for stock, so you'll need clips or some drilling (maybe straps) anyways.

Turbodave
03-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Adam I'm almost positive the 90 and newer cars take different motor mounts than what your 88 has. Looking at the picture of Whorse's engine bay on his website it appears that his 90 has the same mounts as all of the 91 and other new models I've owned. The 90 TBI daytona I parted out last year had the big passenger side mount and the newer front mount with the rubber part attached to the core support. Either way it's not a big deal as the mounts are easy to change, and you can grab ones off pretty much any newer TBI car in the J-yard.

The core support is more flat across on the 90 models and the radiator attaches to the core support with horizontal screws like a P-body. The A/C condensors on the newer cars piggyback onto the radiator, so if your running A/C that's something to consider as well.

supercrackerbox
03-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Looking at the parts vendors, it does look like '90 was the changeover. I was wondering if I'd be able to use the PB mounts I bought last year. Oh well, I'll throw them in the '86. I'm tired of changing the crappy parts store mounts every six months anyway.

Not sure about running AC yet, or if the car even has it. Part of me thinks it'd be nice to have it, but then the other part of me says screw it. Fix the AC on the daily driven '86 and focus on weight loss on the '90.

Whorse
03-17-2006, 07:25 PM
I don't think it's that hard to change the mounts to the older style, especially if you don't mind drilling.

In a G or J body you have a reasonable amount of hood room, so the A/C is up to you, but for performance, you're better without it for a number of obvious reasons, and it would certainly make mounting your NPR a bit easier without. I'm planning on putting the A/C back in my car for the summer, but I don't plan on putting it on my Van, which won't be driven much in the summer, and is more for fun/performance anyways. I'll try and get you some pictures of my motor mounts if I can (up close). PM me if I don't post any by tonight.

Turbodave
03-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Adam, you may want to PM minimopar, he is putting a 90 interior in his 86 and could probably tell you a lot of the interior differences. I know he mentioned the door panels mounted differently, but I can't remember exactly what the differences were.

Whorse
03-18-2006, 03:33 PM
I think the G and J bodies are different in the year gaps, as the doors both mounted the same on my J body's, despite looking quite different. Window mounts were the same, and all the screw holes lined up. I'm still working on pictures of my motor mounts. Need to get my brothers' camera.

Whorse

supercrackerbox
03-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Well, looking at it today, I think only the back seat forward is really any different. But the interior on this car will need a lot of work. There's a bit more missing than I thought. I'm still up in the air about it. I'm going to go look at that '90 ES in the junkyard and see how complete and nice it's black interior is, I think black would look better in this car anyway. I'll figure something out I guess, lol.

Whorse
03-19-2006, 04:02 AM
Keep in mind that if you go leather, the black gets much hotter than the grey, and my grey leather gets hot in the summer. You'll want A/C for sure if you go leather.