PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Neon

skitzo_inc
07-26-2008, 05:20 PM
I know I said I was going to keep it stock, and to prove everyone right who said I wouldn't do it.

What all mods are there for the neon, minus turbo-charging it, that will give me a little bit more power. Not so much that it ruins my gas milage, but something a little quicker for passing people and just more get up and go?

Thoughts?

JDAWG
07-26-2008, 07:42 PM
50 shot?

black86glhs
07-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Remove every single piece of interior not needed. The rear seats, spare tire and any people besides yourself. Only keep 3 gallons of gas in it.

J/K.....Exhaust and cold air intake are supposed to do a little.

JDAWG
07-26-2008, 11:34 PM
I hate when people ask me this. Yea an intake and exh you might feel a lil and pick up a few mpg if you keep your foot out of it but really the only way is forced induction or sinking 10k or more (if you have to overnight parts from japan).

Seriously get a nitrous kit, drop 2 heat ranges colder and just run a fogger on a wot switch. I installed a kit on a eclipse na a while ago and talked to a guy from notrous express for a good half hour on the phone. A 50 shot is cool on a stock motor. Dont go much above that.

JDAWG
07-26-2008, 11:38 PM
is that your real head?

Dodge Aries K
07-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Don't use nitrous...

There's a stupid air restrictor thing in the airbox... remove that turdy piece of plastic but it does make the car louder (oh no... what a crime) or get a cone filter or a CAI. Also, get a new exhaust system. 2nd gen comes with 2" poopoo exhaust. Buy a 2.5" system with a good muffler and Neon will be happy. Also, you can get a long tube header which also is nice to have. I don't know if a Mopar Performance computer exists for the 04, but if it does, you might want to get it. A good intake manifold helps too. Possibly a bigger throttle body (if 2nd gens are the same as 1st gens, the mtx gets a 49mm and the atx gets a 52mm... they swap back and forth like nothing).

My car is a DOHC 1st gen... but it has all the stuff listed above and some headwork done to it as well (3 angle valve job, head's been milled down a bit, some sort of port and polish on it too) and weighs a bit less than the 2nd gen... but you can see how much of a difference that stuff does to a Neon with this video.

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Minako%20the%20Sport%20Coupe/?action=view&current=VIDEO_036.flv

They can be quicker than people think they can... :D

Edit in: Goldbrick Media Player FTL...

skitzo_inc
07-27-2008, 12:57 PM
I wasn't planning on nitrous...that makes me sad.
As far as the rest goes, I think I'll do that. I'll take out that piece of plastic today and check on exhaust for it. Not worried about making car louder, I have a kickass stereo system for that. :) I won't have to hear it. How much are exhausts normally?

Dodge Aries K
07-27-2008, 01:25 PM
I got mine used for $150... go over to neons.org and view the for sale areas... people are selling stuff all the time for cheap there. :)

contraption22
07-28-2008, 12:57 PM
2003-up have the NGC controller. You will find that they do not respond well to mild modifications such as intakes an exhaust.

skitzo_inc
07-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Meaning?

contraption22
07-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Cold air intakes and exhaust will not yeild much gain, if any. The computer will manipulate fuel and spark to maintain it's pre-programmed torque goal.

WickedShelby88
08-01-2008, 01:06 AM
Yeppers, but if you slap nice turbo setup a bone stock long block it will wake right up. Just unplug the O2 and go.. Not good for mpg's though. I have rode around in a 2nd gen and the guy did just that. Was running stock electronics till he got his megasquirt system ready to install.

vntned
08-05-2008, 08:40 PM
NGC=FAIL (I know, I have an '04 R/T)

go to 2gn.org
that will answer all your questions.