PDA

View Full Version : Team Shelby SoCal meet

2.216VTurbo
07-26-2008, 03:58 AM
So it's been pretty well covered on the Team Shelby site, the excitement has been building and all so in about 4 hours I'm gonna wake up and go meet Forza so we can represent our TM's with 50+ Shelby Mustangs. Heck, there might be a Shelby Cobra or two dunno yet. We are meeting at 6 am at a prestage area so we can hit the Cars and Coffee show in force:clap: Then from there it's a 75 mile rally to lunch at an as of yet undisclosed location whereas Carroll and his team are buying us lunch (hmm, libations included:eyebrows:?) From there we will form up again and hit John Force's shop/museum for some bench racing and showing. It's an all Shelby day:thumb:

The red GLHS is ready, I adjusted a couple noisy valves (factory tolerance spec is WAY TO loose), threw some plugs and an oil change at it-and put a 1/2 turn in the wategate:evil: Took it for a fuel top off a half hour ago and a little test drive and came *real close* to wrecking it on the freeway:( I just wasn't ready for what 23PSI was going to do to the car when it hit in fourth. Even with the 225 drag radials it's annhilating the tires in any gear.
I think I'll drop it back to 20PSI in the morning, it will be faster if it hooks a little bit. I'll take lots of pics and if there is WiFi at any stops tomorrow, I'll show you guys the event while it's happening:)

Austrian Dodge
07-26-2008, 05:08 AM
show us the pics ... NOOOOOW :)

mcsvt
07-26-2008, 07:28 AM
Sounds like it's going to be an awesome time!

1FastCSX289
07-26-2008, 08:06 AM
Dont beat on too many Mustangs......we dont want them to know our cars are THAT fast......they might not let us in the club anymore.:thumb:

And..........

:needpics1:

BadAssPerformance
07-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Sounds like fun! Represent! :thumb:

NeonShowCar
07-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Yes that car is a beast - I've been in it. Amazingly fast to say the least! Enjoy yourself and lets see the pictures....

johnl
07-27-2008, 01:53 AM
Ah ----. I forgot about it. Took a ride on the Honda CBR up Little Tujunga Canyon this am instead of where I should have been (the Shelby meet) and dealt with some f head vandal who was throwing bags of motor oil on the pavement to discourage motorcycles . . . . .

Turbo3Iroc
07-27-2008, 02:01 AM
I'll take lots of pics and if there is WiFi at any stops tomorrow, I'll show you guys the event while it's happening:)

Quit holding us hostage already :blah::D

bradp
07-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Where are the damn pics?:confused::D

2.216VTurbo
07-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Sooo, at the Cars and Coffee meet in the early am, Teams Shelby was all parked in neat rows by 7am maybe 35 cars strong. There was Forza in his pristine 86 S, Stereo in his 88CSX-T, myself in the 87 S, and 30+ Ford powered Shelbys. There was an old GT500 KR (that guy actually ownes and is restoring an 87 GLHS and didn't know about TM.com or the SoCal Club:confused:, he does now:D) and a couple continuation Cobras as well. Definatly a photo worthy occasion, camera at the ready from just the right angle as the morning sun is still golden from it's low angle and DEAD BATTERY:o:ban: Uh oh. if you guys want to see pics, join up/head over to TeamShelby, there were plenty of working cameras out there...

One of the first TS members that came up to me and told me how much he liked the GLHS ownes a new 1250 mile Super Snake with the 725 HP option:hail: I asked him to show me the differences in the 600 HP package and his and basically, if it's a new SS and has the Kenne Bell supercharger instead of the Ford unit, it's a 725HP car. So Dan is pretty cool guy and after we look at his car a while, I ask him if he wouldn't mind at some point during the day, we do a little friendly 60-120MPH pull:evil: He is good natured about it but like 'sure thing sonny, no problem that'd be fun and all'. Of course he is thinking he is just gonna pull away and become a dot on the horizon... A while later I am showing the S motor to the KR 500 guy and Dan ambles over for a peek (hood was otherwise closed in the morning) and after looking at it and listening to my description of the build, he goes, "Man,that's all I need is to be embarrassed by this thing:o" Of course I follow that with 'Aw, C'mon, it's just a four cylinder car':evil: He seems a little less sure about our arrangment now...

Scheduled after C&C is a 70 mile drive to the beach down PCH, the canyons via Santiago Canyon road and untimatly ending up in a park where SAI is providing lunch:) So I wait for the group to pull out, and wait, and wait. Pretty much, that is how the 'Parade' of Shelby's proceeded on the rally:( The lead cars were all about not exceeding the speed limits and keeping a string of 20+ cars together. Not the way I like to spend my drives in the S car:ballchain: Also according to the route map, there are no freeway sections where the little pull would be easy and safest to manage. Fortunatly Dan is a spirited driver in his SS and we find ourselves at the front of the pack on Newport Coast road, fairly strait, no crosstreets but uphill (the death of high HP FWD traction:mad:) so as I am rolling up to Dan's rear bumper in 3rd, I hear him drop a gear and go. WTF Dan, in my nieghborhood, we wait till the guy is even, give the nod or three honk, THEN go. (later he told me he hasn't done that kinda thing in the car and was nervous about it, he was believable) So He jumps out two cars+ while I am spooling the turbo, then when boost hits, the 225/50 BFG Drag Radials are biting but spinning and leaving black stripes. Shrot shift to 4th but out of the meat and potatoes of the powerband he is nearly three cars up on me now but here comes 4500 and aI am reeeling him back. 5000, and he is getting closeer fast!:thumb: 5500 and I am in his blind spot now, to his right rear 3/4 area TRAFFIC ahead and we both shut down and grab brakes. He yells out the window, "Man, no one teases you about that car do they!?" Still, he won the pull but on the freeway, he will fall. I asked him in a post at TS for a rematch.:eyebrows:

About 3/4 way thru the rally, I get a power loss light and though the S is still running, it's not taking throttle well-epsecially from a stop and our cruise is all stop and go stuff:( Codes show 24 (TPS sensor out of range) I guess when the TPS fails, the ECU reverts to MAP voltage for a 'guess' at where the throttle is, at speed and in light boost, car runs pretty well. Heavy boost and it cuts out all the fun, kills the spark maybe? I dunno but fuel pumps are on a hardwired switch so that's not it. Cooks Corner, a historic Biker Bar in Trabuco Canyon is only 4-5 miles from my house so I peel off there and go one way as the string of Shelby's go right. Head home and change the TPS for another one and reste the ECU, same problem:mad: Broken wire maybe?? Throw the cooler/Razor/chair in the Rampage and play catch up. Now that was the most fun driving I had all day:clap: Had a nice from a dig to top of third pull with a modded new M3 DEAD EVEN! Looking at eachother the whole way, closest race I have had in the Rampage ever! Guy had way dark tinted windows so I couldn't see his face, or his girlfriends but I think we can imagine the look on it...

I did get a camera battery from home and took a few shots from the Park, and the John Force Museum/show, but nothing I have is really a money shot or anything. Overall a great Shelby Day:D

mcsvt
07-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Awesome :thumb: Thanks for the stories Alan!!