PDA

View Full Version : Funny Story!!!!!!

Wink
03-15-2006, 10:57 PM
It starts about 4:40 this afternoon. I just picked up the kids from daycare. I was on my way home, when I start to hear what I think is a chunk of rubber that's letting loose on my right front tire. You all might know that sound-- Thump-thump-thump-thump.... Then all of a sudden I hear a loud POP!!! But the funny thing is that I was still tracking fine down the road. I was like, "WTF!!!!!" Then I looked down at my gauges as I "try" to change lanes. Well that verified my fears. I busted my serpentine belt on the ol' 3 ohhh.

Well, since the wife forgot to renew our AAA membership this year, I had to make a very important choice. Do I park it and walk another 5 miles with my 3 and 6 year olds. Or do I say, "Screw it!!", and continue home, hoping I don't loose battery before I get there. Well, I decided to go for it. Those 5 miles felt like and eternity to me. Well, I made it to about 40 yards from the house, and it died. Luckily for me, I had enough momentum to coast it into my parking spot at the house.

Now, keep in mind this isn't the fun part of the story.......

... Since the wife has been in the hospital, her van has been parked there. And the Shadow has burned down. I now have no vehicle to use to get any parts I may need. :( So, I procede to call just about everyone I know, that might be willing to help me out. Well, it was about 7pm before I actually got ahold of someone to be willing to lend a hand. So, he picks up another belt for me. He gets to the house just after 8pm and we proceed to change the belt. I start the motor, and notice that the belt is riding on the outside of the power steering pulley. Well, that just made too much sense. Now I know why I threw a belt. THE DAMN TENSIONER!!!!!!!! :mad: It's 8:45 now, and I'm fearing that no one would be open. So I dart inside to my PC and look online for a local parts store. I called. And to my surprise they are still open. Not only are they open, but they had the part in stock. My buddy goes down to pick it up for me, since I can't just leave the kids alone at home. While he's gone, I get the bad one out of the car. Lemme tell you all this. Late at night, without a garage, and just a flashlight; it makes for an interesting time to make emergency repairs. I get the damn thing out as he pulls up to the house. Another 15 minutes later, it's all together again. Fired it up again, and everything looks much better this time. So we grab a beverage of choice from my ice box, and laugh about the tension that was just lifted from "my" world.

Long story short.... I replaced a serpentine belt and tensioner on the "Headless Horseman" tonight.

Ondonti
03-15-2006, 11:35 PM
haha, I was working till 3:30 am last night with a desklamp under my car removing the bumper supports and bent the exhaust back and forth till I broke it in 3 places and it came off the car (didnt feel like making too much noise at 3:00 AM in my driveway).

Ive pulled an official 100.5 lb out from the duster so far (climate control system, carpet, rear bumper, exhaust).

dwh4784
03-15-2006, 11:58 PM
Sounds like you got a good friend at least, I doubt anyone I know would do that for me.

GLHNSLHT2
03-18-2006, 02:09 AM
you just don't know who to call :)

TurboNeon568
11-11-2006, 05:58 PM
I got one something like that too but mine is a little funnier (if this is threadjacking, I am sorry).

I got a '93 5th Ave w/ a 3.8 and some kind of security system and I was driving it out to California somewhere in the middle of the desert when I got too tired and stopped at this truck stop to sleep. I slept for about 3 hours when I was awakened by 18 wheeler headlights in my face. I decided to start driving again until I could find a better place to sleep so I started my car. It ran for about 3 seconds and died. I panicked! I am in the middle of nowhere and my car wa running fine until I stopped, now it won't run! So, in a panic, I began checking things with the DMM I had with me. Fuel pump was good, relay was clicking, I was getting spark. Finally I pulled my fuel filter off and blew through it, but it was fine. I was mystified and panicking at the same time so I called the only person I could think to call, my mom. In her sleepy state, she said "What about the alarm?". I couldn't have felt more stupid if I tried. When I stopped to go to sleep, I locked my door from the inside. When I woke up, i forgot that I had done this. The security system I mentioned at the beginning of this post sensed that someone was trying to start the car without disabling the alarm and it killed it. I got out of my car, locked and unlocked it with my key, got back in my car and it started right up. but only on te fuel that was in the lines bgecause I forgot to reconnect my fuel filter so I then proceeded to pump about 1/8 of a tank of gas onto the ground.

Ladies and Gentlemen, am retarded!:lol:

Whorse
11-12-2006, 04:34 AM
More importantly Wink, how did your paint job turn out? What I really mean to say, is we're all glad you got it done. I can remember a few roadside repairs on the highway at night with no cell phone reception. Luckily the worst was only a blown cam seal which only needed RTV and a hammer (or in my case a couple knuckles).

turbovanmanČ
11-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Hahahaa, thats a good friend but sounds like you don't have many though, :(

I can't say I've had really any stories, with me being a mechanic, my vehicles are usually in top shape. I think I've broken down once or twice in the last 20 years, :thumb:

BARRON
11-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Nice story wink. I have some adventures to share too if I could.

I had several vehicles leave me stranded.. or sort of.

97 sunfire when I dumped it into 3rd gear at 90mph and sheared the flywheel bolts off.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
My lebaron kinda stranded me when the diff pin started working out and wearing a hole in the pan and drained the trans of oil. Bought lots of fluid and gave it transfusions till I get home.

The lebaron again.. fuel pump was going out.. park for a bit till it cooled down..drive.. hets hot.. dies..cool off.. drive.. kept going like this till I got home. Replaced pump and off we go.

The lebaron again..Broke the flex plate on the road during a 3-2 downshift. We all thought the PERFECTLY RUNNING motor was toasted and tore it all apart..an extrordinary misdiagnosis this was! (DUH!)
83' Dodge ram. Left me stranded several times in one week during the winter. had it in the shop for almost a week trying to figure this out. Gasoline antifreeze fixed this right up. :)
89 Tempo when the seriously wore out ball joint gave it up and left us on the road. Luckily it was a slow death and we were able to slow down so we werent going any speed when she finally died.

Same tempo... the rotted rear stabalizer bar support broke out from the floor and folded the rear tire under the car. Fortunately it waited till I got into the driveway to do this.

93sundance
11-13-2006, 03:08 PM
another thread brought back from the dead

Garret
11-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Top Shape eh?

turboaddict
11-16-2006, 02:26 AM
top shape? wow youre a rarity in our field. i just drive it until it breaks and then curse my horrible luck.