PDA

View Full Version : VNT vs. Hemi Durango

Whorse
03-15-2006, 09:41 PM
There's a light on the highway close to my house that I sometimes pull a few launches at. It's 2 lanes, and I usually take the left if it's not busy because I have to turn left onto my street shortly after the light. In this case, there are a bunch of cars, and I know it's going to be a short light, so I take the right lane and go right to the front.

Guy beside me in his Hemi Durango doesn't give any hint that he's going to rip until just before it's green, when I hear him revv up slowly and hold it (2 foot in an Auto). Since I'm trying to pass all the traffic to make my street, I planned on gunning it, but he'd already launched before I could get the clutch out, so he takes a couple lengths on me. Hoping I can just pass him and turn left, I go for it, and realize he's trying to race, so I give it all I have and take the left about half a kilometer down the road. By about 160km/h I had only a car length on him, and as I slowed to take the left turn lane, got the usual fly by with the "What The Hell Was That?!?!?!" look from anyone who loses to a Lebaron.

BIG PSI
03-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Teach him some humilation !!!!!!!!!!
I love it.

Chuck

Tony Fields
03-15-2006, 09:46 PM
VNT's :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Whorse
03-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Gotta say, I love how many people bash the VNT for no top end, but forget how great it's powerband is. In gear I'm hitting boost before 2000rpm and by 3000 I'm over 10psi, which for a near stock setup is a lot of fun.

I'm not sure if it's the fact that it's a Lebaron, or the fact that it's just a car that doesn't look fast, but I get a lot of funny looks, even from people faster than me, which is probably the greatest respect of all.

Tony Fields
03-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Gotta say, I love how many people bash the VNT for no top end, but forget how great it's powerband is. In gear I'm hitting boost before 2000rpm and by 3000 I'm over 10psi, which for a near stock setup is a lot of fun.

I'm not sure if it's the fact that it's a Lebaron, or the fact that it's just a car that doesn't look fast, but I get a lot of funny looks, even from people faster than me, which is probably the greatest respect of all.

I love the way my VNT comes on in 4th and 5th gear. It pulls just as strong
as my Red Shelby Z. My daughter and I gave them a try coming back from
the car show to the motel at SDAC-15. I was driving the Shelby Z and she had the VNT. From 60 to 100+ it was a dead heat.

turbocoupe
03-19-2006, 06:05 PM
OH YA I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL I HAVE A 88 LEBARON RUNNING 11PSI AND I ---- ALL OVER THESE CARS AND THEIR LIKE "HUH". FOR EXAMPLE IM SWITCHING MY CAR TO A 5SPD AS WE SPEAK AND I HAD MY CAR ON A LIFT AND I WAS TALKING TO A GUY AND HE SAYS "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANNA DO ALL THAT WORK CAUSE IT A LEBARON" AND I JUST LOOKED AT MY BUDDY A SMIRKED MAN I LOVE that

Whorse
03-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Yeah I've had the "you're doing what in a what?" comment a lot. high 14-low 15 lebaron isn't really much in this community of mopar nuts, but to the average Civic SI it's a bit embarassing.

turbocoupe
03-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Yeah I've had the "you're doing what in a what?" comment a lot. high 14-low 15 lebaron isn't really much in this community of mopar nuts, but to the average Civic SI it's a bit embarassing.

Ya, know kidding the lebaron around here in CT make my car look ugly And when people here may turbo their like DAMN !!!!!! who's car was that, that sound nice. And when IM racing BMW and Audi's and I pass them they look at me like .....OK THAT'S NEW TO ME and I love when I get those. JUST the other day I embarrassed the crap out of a guy in front of his wife or what ever she was. And when the light turn green i punched it and i smoked him by about 2-3 bus lengths ...NO JOKE HE DROVE A 00-03 VW-JETTA 5SPD

butchsuppe
03-21-2006, 03:49 AM
Shoudn,t be hard to beat a truck

Whorse
03-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Not all trucks are slow. The new hemi engines are pushing 340hp easy. Compare that to a 165-170hp VNT engine. My car is a fair bit lighter, weighing only about 3200 lbs, so that helps, plus the broad powerband of the VNT is nice.

2.216VTurbo
03-21-2006, 10:50 PM
I can relate to that you-just-beat-me-with-that-car expression that comes from the other guy when the 'Grandma car' (what my wife calls the TC) walks all over them:thumb:

When I have a kill with the GLHS it's kind of, expected, and not as satisfying:o

Clay
03-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Shoudn,t be hard to beat a truck

I gotta truck...... wanna race?

;)

yeah, some of the hemi Ds are pretty quick. There are stock ones out there running low 15s high 14s (at least according to some of the sites I read).

clay

Whorse
03-22-2006, 01:15 AM
Low 15s is probably right around what my car is at, give or take, so factor in a cold night with the ic Up front and it's fairly even between the two.

89t2baron
03-27-2006, 02:35 PM
nice kill in the lebaron, i just got one and can't wait to do some humiliating in her.

Whorse
03-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Today I had another good go against a brand new Mustang GT with the wannabe Saleen kit on it. He turned ahead of me at a light just as it turned green for me (we'd been fooling around earlier and ended up at the same intersection), so he had about 2 car lengths on me from a roll around a corner, and he didn't gain anything on me until I had to slow down at 180km/h. Quite the looks in his rear view mirror. Even the white racing stripes couldn't save him from the Lebaron.