PDA

View Full Version : What cars have the Nippendenso alternator?

Clay
07-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Omni alternator is junk, so Im thinking of upgrading to the Nippendenso. Which cars had the alternator?

thanks!
clay

JDAWG
07-24-2008, 11:48 AM
well mostly I would say everything 87 or newer, really you just have to look and see. Were you gonna do junkyard shopping or get a new/reman?

tryingbe
07-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Can be in any car... just have to look.

V6 3.0 cars also can come with Nippondenso alternators, pulley have one more rib, but it will work fine.

Clay
07-24-2008, 12:51 PM
well Ive got access to an 87 lebaron that a friend is parting, short of that I was going to the parts store, but didnt know what to tell them to look up.

JDAWG
07-24-2008, 01:19 PM
90 daytona 120 amp

turbovanmanČ
07-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Pot luck, Dodge used Nippo's, Bosch. The parts store will ask if you have a Nippo or Bosch alt.

Clay
07-24-2008, 03:16 PM
the bosch look like a typical GM 1 wire alternator, correct? Nippo is more open frame design?

turbovanmanČ
07-24-2008, 04:06 PM
the bosch look like a typical GM 1 wire alternator, correct? Nippo is more open frame design?

Yep, the Bosch look like an old style GM and are big and heavy. A Nippo is very small, looks like it came off a Honda, :nod:

JDAWG
07-24-2008, 04:33 PM
the nippo has an internal fan, all you will see is a pulley, the bosch has the big 'chop your fingers off' fan between the pulley and case, plus it usaully says denso right on the top

http://www.allpar.com/eek/ELECTRIC.HTML

some pics there

http://www.allpar.com/eek/i/13309.JPG

http://www.allpar.com/eek/i/14789.JPG

cordes
07-24-2008, 05:19 PM
There are a couple of pics of the ND alt on my page.

http://www.omniglht.com/nd.html

1FastCSX289
07-24-2008, 05:21 PM
I was at Carlisle and saw a brand new looking Nippo sitting in someones parts lot.......I figured he probably wanted 40 bucks or whatever so I passed it by. I start walking and he says "make me an offer". I really didnt need it, so I kept walking...so he says "really, MAKE ME AN OFFER". So, I offered him 10 bucks.....got a brand new nippo for 10 BUCKS! :eyebrows: Anyways.....thought I would share.

But, yea....as Simon said....its pot luck. Although, the guy that sold me this one said it was for a later model caravan. I brought it back home and matched it up. Now, I didnt pull mine out or anything, but by the looks of everything it looks exactly the same. Maybe a pulley change? So, you might want to check the later model vans too.

cordes
07-24-2008, 05:25 PM
+1 for the pot luck I recall reading that the durangos with some sort of towing package came with 160amp NDs.

turbovanmanČ
07-24-2008, 05:37 PM
I was at Carlisle and saw a brand new looking Nippo sitting in someones parts lot.......I figured he probably wanted 40 bucks or whatever so I passed it by. I start walking and he says "make me an offer". I really didnt need it, so I kept walking...so he says "really, MAKE ME AN OFFER". So, I offered him 10 bucks.....got a brand new nippo for 10 BUCKS! :eyebrows: Anyways.....thought I would share.

But, yea....as Simon said....its pot luck. Although, the guy that sold me this one said it was for a later model caravan. I brought it back home and matched it up. Now, I didnt pull mine out or anything, but by the looks of everything it looks exactly the same. Maybe a pulley change? So, you might want to check the later model vans too.

Yep, the caravan, durango's most of the newer vehicles have the Nippo and with a pulley swap, bolt up. 120 and 160 are nice finds, but not needed unless your running a huge stereo, :thumb:

Clay
07-24-2008, 07:23 PM
yeah the 94+ rams use a nippo as well, but Im not sure they would work as they are fix mounted, but if the durango ones work, then maybe the do!

but, I found a good nippo on my free 89 Omni parts car :) still need to look at that 87 lebaron as the brackets are probably better from a non-common block. (if I dont use the stock brackets like Simo did)

JDAWG
07-24-2008, 07:36 PM
I have a Durango 160amp alt, I put it on and something didnt work right. Im not sure if it was spinning the worng way or if it was because there isnt a post to ground the alt on the case. It shot a fireball out the side. It also possibly could be because the voltages on the feild wires may be different. It bolted up fine, no pulley swap needed, its like a 6 groove but the belt just uses like half of them. I put a 120amp stocker back on for now until I can mess with it. But ALOT of engine have the nippo alt and will bolt up, actually just about every chrysler engine you can think of, even some of the Cummins. Some G Cherokees had a 150amp nippo stock. Im just not sure if the alt cas HAS to be grounded or if the difference are in the voltage in the feild wires. I did alot of research on the alts but havent posted anything because Im not sure whats different. Im running a massive stereo and am too cheap to buy a HO one lol

turbovanmanČ
07-24-2008, 07:59 PM
I have a Durango 160amp alt, I put it on and something didnt work right. Im not sure if it was spinning the worng way or if it was because there isnt a post to ground the alt on the case. It shot a fireball out the side. It also possibly could be because the voltages on the feild wires may be different. It bolted up fine, no pulley swap needed, its like a 6 groove but the belt just uses like half of them. I put a 120amp stocker back on for now until I can mess with it. But ALOT of engine have the nippo alt and will bolt up, actually just about every chrysler engine you can think of, even some of the Cummins. Some G Cherokees had a 150amp nippo stock. Im just not sure if the alt cas HAS to be grounded or if the difference are in the voltage in the feild wires. I did alot of research on the alts but havent posted anything because Im not sure whats different. Im running a massive stereo and am too cheap to buy a HO one lol

Yep, some newer vehicles have different reg setups and you can either have no charge or full charge, :wow1: