PDA

View Full Version : whats the purpose of this?

TurboII
07-22-2008, 08:09 AM
when i was taking my clutch off the engine, this little plastic piece feel off. when i looked at it, it looked torn off and beat up on a clutch with less then 15,000 miles on it. Do i need it?. Whats it for? the 88 from a stock lebaron doesn't come with that plastic piece, but for the 89 daytona it does?
http://partimages2.genpt.com/partimages/27713.jpg

87glhs
07-22-2008, 08:30 AM
If it's the small round piece (plastic) with the hole in the center, it's part of the alignment kit.

Since those motors typically did not use pilot bushings in the ends of the crankshafts, and there is no small hole in the crank for the tip of the alignment tool to mate up with, aftermarket clutch manufacturers generally give you this disc/bushing to put into the crank.

Tap it in as far as it will go (until it fully seats), and then bolt your clutch/press plate over it, using the plastic tool to align the clutch. Then forget about it--

TurboII
07-22-2008, 10:02 AM
If it's the small round piece (plastic) with the hole in the center, it's part of the alignment kit.

Since those motors typically did not use pilot bushings in the ends of the crankshafts, and there is no small hole in the crank for the tip of the alignment tool to mate up with, aftermarket clutch manufacturers generally give you this disc/bushing to put into the crank.

Tap it in as far as it will go (until it fully seats), and then bolt your clutch/press plate over it, using the plastic tool to align the clutch. Then forget about it--

so it serves no purpose to the clutch? Cause mine is so/so use-able.

Bardo
07-22-2008, 10:11 AM
wow i was woundering what that was for. i didnt even use mine when i put my clutch in the car

CSXRT4
07-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Ive heard that most FWD systems do not use a pilot bushing/bearing, but most RWD systems do. I have no idea why and it could be wrong but its just something I was told :confused2:

When I replaced my clutch in my SL I just tossed the plastic bushing in the trash. Ive never seen or used one in any of my TDs so I figured I didnt need it

BadAssPerformance
07-22-2008, 01:20 PM
so it serves no purpose to the clutch? Cause mine is so/so use-able.

If it fell out I would not put it back in. As said, it is only used to help align the disk.

87glhs
07-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Problem is getting it out, but yeah, clutch sets I've purchased with badly translated instructions (if any) seldom tell you what the piece is for.

supercrackerbox
07-23-2008, 04:56 AM
Learn something new every day. I always just threw them away too.

TurboII
07-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Thank heavens i dont need cause i was gonna have to steal it out of one of your td's hahahhaha just joking. but thats good news

cordes
07-24-2008, 08:42 PM

I never used it either. I just use the alignment tool to make it work.

Tony Hanna
07-24-2008, 09:36 PM
I was wondering what that thing was for as well. Didn't use the one that came with my clutch either.